Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
A candiipup commentary!
Published by candiipup
12-02-2009
Author review
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
60%60%60%
Average 73%

Time for a Candiipup Commentary!

Professor Layton and the Curious village is seriously the game for you if you like puzzles and figuring stuff out.

The game starts with a charming lil mini-anime cut scene and the colors and graphics really, really won me over.

You'll run in to these cut scenes a few times in the game, they're not metal gear solid abundant, but they're just right in my opinion. The cut scenes DO have sound and coming from the DS, they aren't that bad. I rated the sound at 6 because they're good but not really deserving of a 10. Doesn't hinder the gameplay though.

Speaking of gameplay!

The above image is what you'll run into A LOT. CONSTANTLY. I mean you talk to a person, take a step, whatever! Puzzles. They range from easy, like the one pictured, to really really really hard. There's everything from math problems to slide puzzles and logic puzzles. The graphics for the puzzles tend to be simple or drawn still pictures. You can do your math and figuring out on the touch screen on some puzzles. Handy, but a little hard when some puzzles take a LOT of thinking and you have a palm-size piece of wonky paper to do it on. There are also a few puzzles that are so mind-numbingly easy after you figure it out, so you can't think too much on some of them.

The puzzles are the meat of the game, and really i enjoy them. You talk to people and get puzzles, you click around and find puzzles in pictures or what have you. It's a great point and click game, there's no button movement really involved. The challenge is in the puzzle. Luckily they give you hints, so it's not ALL bad.

The story is moderately good. It's interesting once you really get into the game and find out things about the people, the town, etc. It's easy to forget but still neat in-between the puzzle finding and solving.

If you're still stumped about it, there's a blog on the interwebs that has ALL the puzzles and all the hint coin locations, everything. If you're in trouble, go there sometime. It should be the first link. But that's cheating, and we all know you're better than that, right? ;3

Tl;dr - It's a great game, but if you're looking for some action, it's really not the game for you. This is a game for waiting lines and doctor's offices. Something to do when you're bored, but it's a great something to do while you're bored!

I warn you though, solving puzzles gets addictive.
Published by
candiipup is on a distinguished road
Sponsored Links
By DarkLegacy on 12-12-2009, 07:41 AM
I totally disagree, how can you give storyline 7? It's one of the best storylines of all the DS games out there. It's fastpaced, absorbing, spine tingling stuff.
By Alice on 12-12-2009, 09:13 PM
i may have to get this game =D
By candiipup on 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
60%60%60%
Average 73%
Did i? Jeez, i didn't even see that. x.x
By Snowball on 01-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 100%
postyoshi

Hi i love this game , you are right the puzzles can be very addicted
By Mreow on 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
A great review of a great game.
By DarkLegacy on 01-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Also you gave the sound 6? what is up with that, the musical score is amazing.
Comment