Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 2
it wasn't originally mario
Published by Alice
12-05-2009
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 2

So, super mario bros. 2. well, the original mario bros. 2 was deemed to hard for players outside of japan, so wasn't released. that is until they released Mario Bros. the lost levels, on Super mario all stars.

Now the Super Mario bros. 2 we all know of is a game featuring Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad. the characters are to travel through 7 worlds to stop Wart and his dream machine. Along the way the heroes must defeat Wart's legions of minions, such as Shy-guys and Birdo. The last level in each world had a boss, and each one was relatively simple to figure out, just the actually defeating of that boss may have been harder.

each character had his or her own stat set-up. The chart below shows running speed and speed of plucking up roots and such, left is slower, right is faster. Although the below chart does not include jump heights, in which the order would indeed shift. This game also shows the fact that peach can levitate, which was used in later games, becoming a main power for her.

So players can play with whatever character they are best with, or they can get good with all 4, it doesn't matter.

Now, this game's graphics are almost all from Doki Doki Panic, which i the game Nintendo pretty much re-made, only with mario characters. But at any rate, the graphic were good, but had some palette problems. shown as princess had brown hair, when she is a blonde.

The other thing this game did was re-vamp the DDP graphics, giving them more animation frames, such a the moving cherries, and better waterfalls.

this game was simple to learn, pick up vegetables or bombs, or pow blocks and throw them at the enemies to defeat them. Jumping on enemies usually did nothing, the player could just stand on them. It was also possible to pick up enemies, and use them as projectiles to defeat more enemies.

this game was alos released on the gameboy advance as Super mario advance, as well as Super mario all-stars, and the virtual console.

Overall this was a very good game in my opinion. Despite it being basically a redesigned game from japan, i enjoyed it, and never really cared about that fact.
A recommended game. =D
Published by
----
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Alice
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 12-05-2009, 03:09 PM
To say that Doki Doki Panic was a game that Nintendo re-made is terribly mis-leading. Miyamoto was actually more involved with the making of Doki Doki Panic than he was Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, and Nintendo owns the rights to the game and all the characters in it. Doki Doki Panic was released in Japan with non-Mario characters because they were concerned it wouldn't be received well as a Mario game in Japan. To say Nintendo "re-made" a game makes it sound like they didn't have a hand in its development at all, and just ripped it off, which is not the case at all.
By Alice on 12-06-2009, 03:54 AM
well, i never meant to say they ripped it off, just recreated it to make a suitably easy game for the west. I'm not saying players in the west are any less good at games than the people in japan, or vise versa. I like to think of it as DDP released in the west, but with mario characters
By op89x on 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM
This is what I was referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronWewstad
Doki Doki Panic, which i the game Nintendo pretty much re-made
By Brandyn on 12-06-2009, 11:41 PM
I have Super Mario All-Stars for my SNES, and at first I didn't know what The Lost Levels were all about. Then I found out that it is actually the real Super Mario Bros 2! I don't hate Super Mario Bros 2 but it's not really a great game. It's just not Mario.....
By Cool Level Maker on 12-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
45%45%45%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 70%
Yes! THANK YOU! My whole gaming life, I've been telling people that if Doki Doki Panic was never copied into a Mario game, that it would be super-popular and would be said to be a classic.
By Cool Level Maker on 12-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
45%45%45%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 70%
It doesn't have to be Mario to be a great game...
By Brandyn on 12-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, but I'd rather have had The Lost Levels than what we got.
By da Beef on 12-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
Yeah, but I'd rather have had The Lost Levels than what we got.

why? the lost levels sucks

Super Mario Bros. 2 is way more fun than the lost levels, which was basically just an expansion pack

history is repeating itself with Super Mario Galaxy 2. maybe that means we'll have a new Doki Doki Panic on Wii!
By Cool Level Maker on 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
45%45%45%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 70%
Yay! That sounds fun!