Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-05-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 83%
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

This game needs no introduction. It is arguably the Wii's killer app. When it first started on the 64, smash Bros. sold quite well, but Melee for the Gamecube exceeded the sales on of the 64 version and established it as a Nintendo Juggernaut.

Graphics

The Wii is really not all that powerful, but Super Smash Bros. Brawl doesn't seem to know that. The graphics are crisp, and smooth and full of detail, right down to the threads of Mario's overalls.In my opinion, it is the best looking game on the wii so far.

I think Mario is in a bit of trouble here...

Storyline

The story is stupid. Ludicrous, even. Theres some gun thingy that turns people into trophies, and somehow Master and Crazy hand have SOMETHING to do with it and something about a freaky stupid butterfly man anmed Tabuu. Super Smash Bros. has NEVER had a real story, so why, oh why, did they even try this time?!

Gameplay

The game is actually a bit different from Melee. For one, I and many other players feel that the game doesn't have enough weight to it. Everyone seems too floaty. This is ok for characters like Jigglypuff, Kirby and perhaps even Toon Link, but shouldn't Bowser or Ganondorf feel much heavier than Ness or Lucas? Aslo, they have added a tripping effect. It is annoying, pointless, random and unfair. Basically, at any time, a player may trip up. It is just as annoying as it sounds.

Smash Bros. is different from other fighting games. The point is not to drain your oponents health guage with combo's and special attacks. Each player has a percentage guage that starts at 0% and gets higher as they take damage. The more damage they have, the farther they fly when they are hit. The object is to knock them off the stage.

Water has changed in this game. it no logner does any damage. At all. It just pushes you back. How stupid was that idea?

I guess I should go into the character roster. Obviously Brawl has the biggest character roster yet. Nintendo claimed they were going to drop back on all the "clone characters", and dropped Dr. Mario, young Link, and Pichu. This was a stupid idea, in the end. there really aren't that many less duplicate characters than in Melee. Also, Toon Link is basically just Young Link's replacement. Two third party characters make an appearance this time. some like this, some do not. I do not. I think Spnic is a pretty cool character. Solid Snake is one of my favorite game characters ever. Does this justify the fact that 2 non nintendo characters are in brawl? Absolutely not. Super smash Bros. is a NINTENDO mashup/crossover game. Snake and Sonic do not belong.

Speaking of Sonic, he is one of the cheapest characters ever. He is the fastest character in the game, and he can be pretty strong, to boot. Ike is also really, really cheap. He too hard to k.O. and does too much damage. The character roster is the most unbalanced I have ever seen in Smash Bros. so far.

Sound

Wow. That's the only word I can use to describe the sound track. It's chock full of songs from Nintendo's past and present. It's got remixes and originals or some of your favorite 8 and 16 bit tunes as well as music from their newer games like Twilight Princess. If you like nintendo music, the sound track will blow your mind.

Overall

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is an excellent game, and one of the ebst games on Wii. It has some of the ebst graphics on the system, and an unrivaled soundtrack. The game is truly excellent, BUT, for some reason, and I'm not sure why I just don'y like it as much as Melee. A few things I know of contribute to this, like tripping and the general floatyness of things. I'm also a bit nostalgic for Melee, so that could also contribute to it. If you have a Wii, pick this one up, it's one of the best ""bang for your buck" games on the Wii. Just don't even try to follow the bullcrap storyline.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Lukario on 12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I thought it was a fun game, but I missed the fact-paced gameplay that was found in Melee.
By da Beef on 12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
i will have to disagree; Metroid Prime 3 by far has the best visuals on the Wii
By Cool Level Maker on 12-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't get Melee fans... Brawl is much better. But, I guess, if you got used to Melee growing up, it would make sense.
By SuperGamerX17 on 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
brawl is great. its graphics are a bit too much. melee is a bit better