Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Sony PlayStation

Notices

Sony PlayStation Post anything relating to Sony PlayStation here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Demon's Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes

From Software has two very unique and very interesting PlayStation 3 exclusives

the first is the dungeon crawler Demon's Souls, an allegedly nerve-wrecking and masochistic experience. i've heard people compare it to old school games. inching forward through the challenges only to be decimated by some new fiend or boss, and forced to try again

what really intrigues me is the emphasis on death. i've been bothered by the inherent temporariness of death in video games for a while now, and this is the first one that i know of to consciously address that. as the sole living person on the battlefield, life is your most precious possession. this approach seems to be fully realized by the game's bleak and uninviting art design

3D Dot Game Heroes looks to be a nostalgia-filled homage to The Legend of Zelda and similar 8-bit adventures. the story deals with a king tiring of his 2D world, and magically adding a third dimension. but the pixelated look stays, with each pixel represented by a small cube. that alone is genius enough, but take a look at the art style in this video

enjoy the Engrish and the blippy music. i like how when things die the pixel-blocks explode everywhere

i really really really want both of these games. when i save up some extra cash i'll get Demon's Souls, and when 3D Dot Game Heroes comes to North America next May i'll pick that up too. actually, i may put that on my birthday list. i haven't gotten a game for my birthday in such a long time, and this would be a great one to relive that joy
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I'ne heard of Demon Souls, and heard good things. and yes, you're right about the death thing. too many games now are just like "Oops, you died! it's okay, you can start again from where you just were!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
da Beef
Banned

Awards Showcase
Poster 

let me clarify. every video game in the history of video games has this same problem: death is never permanent, and very, very rarely does the death carry weight
Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Mreow
Cabbit
Points: 2,720, Level: 31 Points: 2,720, Level: 31 Points: 2,720, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo DS

My Mood: Horny
Mreow has a spectacular aura aboutMreow has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty 

Send a message via MSN to Mreow PSN ID: Mreow-
A lot of my friends have bought Demonīs souls from Canada, and they love it, the only reason why i havenīt bought it, is because everyone complains about how hard it is.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
da Beef
Banned

Awards Showcase
Poster 

games are too easy these days anyway. people complaining about a game's difficulty is a sign of the decline of society
Old 01-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #6
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreow View Post
A lot of my friends have bought Demonīs souls from Canada, and they love it, the only reason why i havenīt bought it, is because everyone complains about how hard it is.
You won't buy a difficult game? Why not? If I can pick up a game and blaze through it without much effort, I am sorely disappointed.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
You won't buy a difficult game? Why not? If I can pick up a game and blaze through it without much effort, I am sorely disappointed.
Same here. If a game is now difficult, it is quite boring...
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
Mreow
Cabbit
Points: 2,720, Level: 31 Points: 2,720, Level: 31 Points: 2,720, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo DS

My Mood: Horny
Mreow has a spectacular aura aboutMreow has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty 

Send a message via MSN to Mreow PSN ID: Mreow-
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
I would buy a difficult game, of course.
But my difficulty level stops at Metroid Prime. I feel like thatīs the most difficult series iīve ever played, so for me to start playing Demonīs souls would be rather impossible.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
da Beef
Banned

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreow View Post
I would buy a difficult game, of course.
But my difficulty level stops at Metroid Prime. I feel like thatīs the most difficult series iīve ever played, so for me to start playing Demonīs souls would be rather impossible.

that is quite absurd. if i had a barometer based on my skill level that determined what kind of games i played, i would have missed out on so many rewarding experiences. a game that truly and directly challenges you, requires your mastery and persistence, requires you to better yourself, those are the truly meaningful games. if you set limits for yourself then you are doing just that; limiting

and come on, the Prime series is easy
Old 01-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
that is quite absurd. if i had a barometer based on my skill level that determined what kind of games i played, i would have missed out on so many rewarding experiences. a game that truly and directly challenges you, requires your mastery and persistence, requires you to better yourself, those are the truly meaningful games. if you set limits for yourself then you are doing just that; limiting

and come on, the Prime series is easy
Yeah, if you limit yourself to your skill level, you miss out on tons of great games, and you never get better.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Closed Thread