Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Joe22
Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8

My Mood: Mellow
Joe22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nintendo's Wii contributions.

I'm not going to say the value of these games, this is just going to be numbers of the games Nintendo has published for the Wii. I hope this would finally end all the bad mouthing of Nintendo as the amount games the produce compared to the total amount.

2006- 3/16 were Wii disk games, rest were virtual console. Total amount of games were 66.
2007-13/51 the same as above. Year's total was 309.
2008- 8/26 Wii games, 7/26 were Wii Ware. Year's total was 410.
2009-9/20 Wii games, 7/20 Wii Ware. Year's total is 470.
2010- so far they have listed to produce 7 games. Currently stands at 107 games to be produced.

If anyone would rather read percentages.

'06- Nintendo published 24% of that year's Wii games.
'07- 16.5%
'08- 6.34%
'09- 4.26%
'10- 6.54% as it stands now.

Total is 1362 Wii games, 120 published by Nintendo, which is only 8.8% of the Wii's library.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I'm not exactly sure this is going to end all the bad-mouthing, as you say. Perhaps it will only exacerbate it. When you look at the amount of first-party support the DS got, and you look at the IPs Nintendo currently hasn't announced anything for (including Kid Icarus, Mother, Starfox, and Kirby), it gets a little depressing. I don't think people are disappointed so much with the number of games Nintendo made so much as the number of games they didn't; for example, why do we need an expansion pack (oh, sorry, sequel) for Super Mario Galaxy, when we could have had a Kid Icarus platformer? Why have a new Animal Crossing game, which wasn't much improved over the GC or DS games, when we could have had Nintendo working on the new Starfox?

Some future titles still hold promise for me, like Sin & Punishment 2 and Metroid Other M, but the fact remains that after all these years of development, Nintendo's best IPs are being held in check. Even Twilight Princess was basically a re-make of Ocarina of Time. And I can understand Nintendo wanting to make sequels, but make one for Fire Emblem, then. Don't give me Galaxy 2.

Your numbers also include New Play Control games (re-releases) and games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports, which just aren't the kind of games we want, and when you look at the numbers again, you find that those games account for at least 13 titles (I could be forgetting some). If your number 120 total is accurate, that's at over 10% of Nintendo's output. If over 10% of the games Nintendo is making are re-releases or mini-game compilations, yes, there is reason for outrage. And that's only if I'm forgetting some titles; it could be well over 10%.

Of course, that's just on the Wii itself. If you don't include VC and WiiWare (which I don't) then that's much higher. Let's take a full look at the Wii Disk titles Nintendo is putting out, since VC and WiiWare are all essentially re-releases (with a few exceptions on WiiWare).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games

A quick count gives us 54 games published by Nintendo. That includes games that have been announced but not released and games that have never made it outside of Japan. I counted 14 games on that list that were either mini-game compilations (like Wii Fit, Sports, etc.) or re-releases (Prime Trilogy, NPC games).

So the numbers say 14 out of 54 games by Nintendo fall into this undesirable category. That's over 25%, and that includes games like Metroid Other M which aren't even out yet.

So the numbers actually paint a far different picture for Nintendo. Normally I wouldn't complain , since they're on track to put out a few decent titles a year, and the DS gets some good games as well, but your numbers are very misleading.

And when you look at the number of franchises that haven't been included yet (did I mention F-Zero?) it gets to be rather frustrating.

And then if you take your numbers, which show 33 instead of my 54 (which is probably more accurate, since my numbers include games that aren't out in all regions or at all yet), the picture gets even bleaker.

Take away Wii Chess and the two NPC Metroid games Japan got, and you have 11 out of 33 games being in the lazy category. That's one-third, exactly. Shame on you, Nintendo, for letting us down this generation.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Joe22

You're completely right. 33 games published total and in there are tons of remakes and just games that feel as if no effort was put forth. On the other side of this. The virtual console has a flood of Nintendo published games, and of those only a handful are worth replaying. Wii ware are nice put most of them have no replay value and can be finished in a day or two. So over all, Nintendo is holding way back on what should be out. I guess they plan to send the Wii out with a bang.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
op89x
Not on the review team
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

I say they should work on releasing a new console with HD graphics, more power, and much better online capabilities. A new console with more features would give developers more to take advantage of and work with. Imagine Brawl with online capabilities that rival Live. It would be great.

The Wii made a lot of money and brought us some great games, but Nintendo is losing support at an alarming rate and it's becoming obvious that the console won't be something as long-term as the PS3 or even 360; the Wii will essentially be obsolete hardware in two years.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,446, Level: 94 Points: 23,446, Level: 94 Points: 23,446, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
120 out of 1362, that's rather dissappointing. As OP already stated, there hasn't been much new games, but rather re-releases and mini game completions. Where is Starfox? Ever since they announced the Wii with a motion-sensing controller, I right then thought of the Wii and Starfox(especially if it's like SF64) as marriage partners. And it's not just Starfox. Where's Kirby? Kid Icarus? F-Zero? Earthbound?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Joe22

For an interesting point of comparison, the game cube in total only had 544 games made for it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
op89x
Not on the review team

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe22 View Post
For an interesting point of comparison, the game cube in total only had 544 games made for it.
Nintendo contributed a lot more to the Gamecube than the Wii (so far, of course). We got 2 Starfox games, a Luigi game, a Mario game, at least three Zelda games (one of which is also on the Wii), 2 Metroid games showing a new interest in the series, and even come new IPs, including Pikmin and Battalion Wars. Nintendo was invested in the console and had their best franchises in full force. Even Kirby and F-Zero made appearances. The best part, however, was the lack of remakes compared to the Wii.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
I've been on the fence on the Wii for a couple of months now. I've jumped from hating to loathing almost at the change of the weather, but Nintendo really doesn't have any reason not to just keep polishing the classics and appealing to the casual market. I hate them for it, but even though Galaxy 2, TP and every pokemon game after the first ones aren't very revolutionary, the consumer votes with its wallet

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,446, Level: 94 Points: 23,446, Level: 94 Points: 23,446, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Nintendo contributed a lot more to the Gamecube than the Wii (so far, of course). We got 2 Starfox games, a Luigi game, a Mario game, at least three Zelda games (one of which is also on the Wii), 2 Metroid games showing a new interest in the series, and even come new IPs, including Pikmin and Battalion Wars. Nintendo was invested in the console and had their best franchises in full force. Even Kirby and F-Zero made appearances. The best part, however, was the lack of remakes compared to the Wii.
I agree, Nintendo pretty much had almost all of their major franchises, which showed their dedication to the console. Now I really wish Nintendo wasn't so reliant on their holy trinity of Mario, Zelda and Metroid, as well as the flood of half-baked Mario and Pokemon spin-offs, and begin to bring in their other loved franchises
Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Werebear
Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Pensive
Werebear has a spectacular aura aboutWerebear has a spectacular aura about

I do have just a bit more faith in nintendo than i did before. With Red Steel 2, the new Zelda and Sin And Punishment 2 all coming out on the Wii, most of them possibly coming out next year, theymay be turning back to their roots. Plus i think that the new Mario Galaxy is going to be more what the origional should have been, harder. Myamoto specifically said that it is going to be harder and i welcome that. And as long as its good i dont care that its not origional, its a QUALITY GAME. And honestly, thats all they need, good quality games that we expect.

Click here to level up my card!
Closed Thread