Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Portal: Still Alive
Aperture Sicence...we do what we must because we can!
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-13-2009
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

Portal has been out for a while now, on the PC, for download on Xbox Live Arcade as well as on a collection disc, "The Orange Box". The game has had critical success, and is in my opinion, one of the best games of this generation.

Graphics

ooh...shiny. Everything in this game, from the floors to your portal gun looks like it's had a nice little spit shine. This is a research, laboratory after all. almost everything you see is going to be white, gray, or black and possibly have a couple of blinking lights on it. When you are playing Portal, it really does feel like you are in a test lab. It seems dull, and cold, devoid of life. The vast emptiness make's some rooms look bigger than they really are, as well. So, to sum it up, the graphics are great, and work very well with the game's atmosphere.

Storyline

You are some chick who is being forced to participate in Aperture Labs(from Half Life 2) experiments using a gun that creates portals. You...try to...not die. And she is helped wy this super awesome computer system called GLaDOS. That's the basic plot, but it works....oh yeah, and that cake, definitely a lie.

This is GLaDOS...sexy, right?

Controls

Standard FPS fare minus the reload and melee abilities, as they are not necessary. the controls are smooth, and responsive. in fact, they feel just like Half Life. The games do run on the same engine, after all.

Gameplay

Oh, Portal, how I love thee. I have played through this game at least 3 times by my self, watched others play through it at least 5 times, and beaten it cooperatively with a friend(when I first got it) twice. i am still completely head over hills for this game. It is genius. For once there is a game where the only enemies in your path are laws of physics, and the only weapons at your disposal are a portal gun and your brain. Early in the game, you will have no gun at all, and you must rely on preset portals, some of which change in color. Going into a blue portal will expel you from and orange portal, and the same goes for the opposite. Various things such as speed, angle and momentum also effect the way you(or objects) behave when expelled from a portal. In the words of GLaDOS, "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." GLaDOS is awesome...I'd so want to marry her if it weren't for the whole crazy super computer bent on killing people with nuerotxin thing...

Sound

The only music you will hear is at the start screen, and during the credits....oh, how I love that end theme...anyway, aside from the insanely hilarious and catchy credit sequence, and the music that plays doing the one and only boss "fight" at the end of the game.there is no music. You will here a strange little noise when you shout a portal, and it sounds just like a portal might sound like were they a reality. Not a lot of different sounds in this game. the one thing you will hear almost constantly is the voice of GLaDOS, Aperture's super computer. She is intelligent, witty and...at time, downright hilarious. She speaks in a computerized voice that almost has a sort of rythm to it. she's awesome. did I mention that GLaDOS rocks yet? i did? oh...well, she does. Pretty hard. Way more than that freakin' companion cube!

Overall

It's challenging, requires you to use your brain, and has high replay value. And GLaDOS is is awesome. Buy this game. Hands down, you must own it.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 12-14-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't remember Aperture Science being "the bad guy" in Half-Life 2 at all.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
I don't remember Aperture Science being "the bad guy" in Half-Life 2 at all.
Perhaps I got confused. i havne't played Half Life in ages.
By op89x on 12-14-2009, 12:37 AM
You might be thinking of Black Mesa. Or you know something about Half-Life 3 that I haven't read. Or you read into the reference to Aperture Science in Half-Life 2 in a way that I did not.
By da Beef on 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Aperture science is not in HL2, and regardless is most certainly not the bad guy. it is however mentioned outright in episode 2, and may be referenced in episode 1

and the way things are looking, it will play a major part in episode 3
By Alice on 12-14-2009, 09:36 AM
you stated everything that makes this game perfect =D
nice review
By op89x on 12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
Aperture science is not in HL2, and regardless is most certainly not the bad guy. it is however mentioned outright in episode 2, and may be referenced in episode 1

and the way things are looking, it will play a major part in episode 3
It's not mentioned in Ep1, only Half-Life 2 Episode 2. I wonder what would have been on that level, had it not been cut.
By a_sno_man on 12-15-2009, 07:47 AM
I LOVED THIS GAME!!!
WAS AWESOME!
Quote:
Oh Well. You found me. That wasn't so hard was it? Because the only thing you managed to break so far, is my Heart. Perhaps we can settle for that and just call it a day.
-GLaDOS
I have "Still Alive" on my MP3.
Awesome puzzle game (I liked the Weighted Companion Cube...)
Quote:
Aperture Science...we do what we must because we can. For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead.
-GLaDOS
Do you think GLaDOS will be in Portal 2?(She is Still Alive after all...)
Comment