Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Half-Life
Half-Life
One of the Greatest PC FPS Games you will ever play.
Published by a_sno_man
12-15-2009
Author review
Graphics
35%35%35%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
10%10%10%
Average 54%
Thumbs up Half-Life

"...You have now arrived at the Black Mesa Research Laboratory: Anomalous Materials Division. Please wait for the security guard to check and confirm your identity. Please have a very safe and productive day."

Half-Life.
Yep. Its pretty awesome.

STORY

From the very beginning to the very end, you are in control of the Theoretical Physicist, Gordan Freeman. You are a Research Associate to the high security Black Mesa Research Laboratory, and running late. Your division(Anomalous Materials) is doing work on the technology of Teleportation, and have just received a extremely Pure sample for your team to work on. Unfortunately, you accidentally cause a Resonance Cascade, which creates a rift between our normal dimension, and the dimension of an alien race from the planet Xen. These aliens then begin to pour into the Test Chamber and the rest of the Complex, killing scientists and security guards alike. Hmmm. And you thought that being late was bad.

The storyline, if being completely impossible and FICTIONAL(that's right, I'm looking at you, Andrew!), is brilliantly done, having one of the greatest beginnings of the game I have ever seen. The plot is NOT revealed through cutscenes or movies. You are always in full control of the player, and find out information by either talking to some of the survivors or by watching people do stuff. The ending is a bit weird, but It works(I mean the boss battle, not the Gman.) 8.5 for me.

GRAPHICS

The graphics aren't exactly amazing by today's standards, but some of the effects still look pretty cool. The polygons in the levels aren't many, and the textures for most objects are low-res, but the game makes up for that with massive levels and areas. Nothing is really that shiny for graphics, except for perhaps the weird spiral gun you get at the end. Aren't brilliant, but they do the job. I'll give it a 3.5

SOUND

Hmmm. What can I say about the sound... It is rather difficult to review something that isn't there. There isn't a single song or theme played throughout the entire game. Sure, the sound effects were there, but nothing really exceptional about them. But then, a random theme would have ruined that atmosphere of the game. So...yeah. It isn't a negative for the whole game, but its a zero for sound. There just wasn't any.

CONTROLS/GAMEPLAY

Control and gameplay. There is nothing wrong with the controls, and I you have a problem with it, you can just change it. Now we come to the gameplay. If you are looking foe a classic First Person Shooter, look elsewhere. This isn't just a "Gun and Run" game. It's a highly complex puzzle FPS. Its kinda like Link, except with turret guns, aliens, and MP5 and Glocks. The puzzles are fun and a lot more difficult than normal ones(partly because of the Aliens shooting at you all the time). Its mostly like "Gordon! Thank God you made it! Now, quickly, you must switch on the power generator to get the tram running." The boss battles are more cultured and civilized than most other boss's that are just "shoot its head". Half Life is not like that. It requires you to use the environment to your advantage. You can't just shoot a Tentacle in the head. No. You have to test fire the rocket booster on top of it. You can't just blow apart a Gargantua with a grenade(ok, you can, but that's apart from the point.). You have to delicately fry it between two electrical generators, or call in a military air-strike on its position.

All in all, great game. You can probably buy the game of Ebay or something. Or of Valves virtual shop...thing... Steam. If you want to really find out what the game is like(and have a laugh at the same time), watch Freeman's Mind on YouTube(Mild course Language). Sorry guy's...no screenshots. I've got Vista(the seller only had Vista left{for a good reason[nobody likes Vista]}) and it refuses to give me a screenshot in another resolution. There are probably some on Google images or something... So... Basically...

Half-Life.
Yep. Its pretty awesome.
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 12-31-2009, 09:54 PM
you are an idiot for giving the graphics and sound such low scores
By Mreow on 12-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
I donīt like to call someone an idiot, but i really must agree on this one Half lifeīs one of the greatest games ever made.
By Lukario on 12-31-2009, 11:47 PM
wat? Graphics in that game were some of the most advanced of their time!
By a_sno_man on 01-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
35%35%35%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
10%10%10%
Average 54%
Quote:
Quote:
wat? Graphics in that game were some of the most advanced of their time!
Sorry. I guess I was rather harsh with the graphics(Beef, i agree with you. i was a kind of an idiot.). What i look for in graphics are the polygon count, the texture-resolution and the shader effects(obviously not for older games).
The low scores are mostly for the sound and graphics. I mean, am i supposed to rate the sound effects? I'm very sorry if i offended you with my opinion... Its just the way I felt about the game. My score doesn't say the game is bad, it is one of the best I have played. I just felt it was lacking in certain parts. Again, I apologize for offending anyone.
(and to lukario, i haven't really played many of the games around that generation, so i didn't know. sorry)
By da Beef on 01-01-2010, 06:40 AM
this is why you dont assign numbers to such unquantifiable things as "sound"
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 88%
There rated the game myself. There was music every time something big happened, and some of it ruled.

This game was on my list of games to review... guess I can't now. I snoozed, I lost. Oh well, I want to review Blueshift more than this anyways

Decent Job.
By da Beef on 01-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
There rated the game myself. There was music every time something big happened, and some of it ruled.

This game was on my list of games to review... guess I can't now. I snoozed, I lost. Oh well, I want to review Blueshift more than this anyways

Decent Job.

you can still review the game if you want to
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 01-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 88%
reviewing SMB 3 after SegaSlayer did never turned out well. I may do Half Life Gold on Dreamcast with Blue Shift and Half Life. I still want to try opposing force.
By Lukario on 01-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_sno_man View Post
Sorry. I guess I was rather harsh with the graphics(Beef, i agree with you. i was a kind of an idiot.). What i look for in graphics are the polygon count, the texture-resolution and the shader effects(obviously not for older games).
The low scores are mostly for the sound and graphics. I mean, am i supposed to rate the sound effects? I'm very sorry if i offended you with my opinion... Its just the way I felt about the game. My score doesn't say the game is bad, it is one of the best I have played. I just felt it was lacking in certain parts. Again, I apologize for offending anyone.
(and to lukario, i haven't really played many of the games around that generation, so i didn't know. sorry)
Just saying, game was released 11 years ago, so they look archaic by today's standards.
Comment