Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Off Road
Super Off Road
Hit the roadÖ or shall I say, off road?
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
12-18-2009
Author review
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 81%
Super Off Road

Super Off Road
Cam3ron36

Developer: The Leland Corporation
Publisher: Virgin Games
Players: 1-4 (Depending on versions)
Platforms Reviewed: NES, SNES, Genesis

Hit the roadÖ or shall I say, off road?

Super Off Road; some may remember it in the arcades as that machine with the 3 steering wheels, or maybe on your NES, SNES, Genesis and many more other consoles. Super Off Road was released on literally everything back then, and why not? I admire a company with the smarts to release their game on every console out there. They are just awesome!
Now, with Super Off Road, you are playing a racing game, but this isnít your usual racing experience. Instead of being in the car or having the camera behind your car, you are looking at the entire freaking race track. Your car is a tiny speck on the screen with all the other cars. Now, you may be thinking; ďHow is that fun?Ē Well, I suppose it doesnít sound fun, or appealing, but if you are thinking that, slap yourself in the face. It is tremendously fun. Why? Let me tell you.

I, myself, have played the Arcade version, the NES version, the SNES version and the Genesis version. I have to say, while they are all similar and great, the Genesis version takes the cake. First off, the NES version features only a limited amount of the tracks, after all. The NES version was ported directly from the original arcade version. They remade the game with 8 extra tracks, for the arcade, called the Super Off Road: Track Pack. This version is what we got on the SNES & Genesis. The only thing the NES version held over the SNES & Genesis versions was that it had a 4 player mode. Other Off Road games were made for the consoles on SNES and NES which I have not played. A final sequel was also made on the N64 in your traditional racing style called Off Road Challenge, this one I have played.

One thing that is particularly enjoyable in these games is the intricate & immense landscapes that you race in, it is so fun. They crammed so many pools of water and tiny, tiny hills into this game, that it is just amazing. You get far enough into the game and all the cars are just flying up and down randomly and skidding everywhere. Itís total carnage at its 16/8 bit best!

The game isnít hard either. The only complaint that I share about that is the fact that if you lose in the first few races; it will be very hard to win again. It really isnít bad, you have to place dead last about 10 times before you are finally given a continue screen. Come that point, you are given a final chance to place at least third or you are out of here! So, you can pretty much play as long as you want, through all of the tracks. There is a typical system used here, seen in many of the arcade style racing games at the time, and that is the buy mode. You are allowed to buy nitro, tires, wheels, engines and more. This is what can kind of screw you over in the start if you donít win, you donít get cash, the other cars upgrade. You donít, do the math.

Now the sound is pretty great, catchy. What else is there to say? The music blends well with the game on the SNES & Genesis versions... on the NES... not so much.
Sorry, no samples.

Thanks For reading, all comments & questions are appreciated
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By Lukario on 12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I loved this game, but I was honestly horrible at it.

Lukario
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 12-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 81%
I do find it particularily annoying when you hit the wall, then try and turn the right way, and you end up turning the wrong way >:-(
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 81%
Bump, just wondering if anyone else really has anything to say about this review?
By Siberianhusky89 on 01-24-2010, 04:36 AM
I actually own this game for Sega Genesis, that opening song is pretty badass.
Comment