Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-19-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%

The Castlevania series is very long running. It has, like most franchises, had it's ups and its downs. Most of it's downs were during it's 2d attempts, but the GBA titles kept it popular through these troubling times. Then came the Ds games, which are lauded by many fans. You would think Konami would have learned their lesson, and steered clear of the3d path, but instead, they made a 3d Castlevania fighting game for the wii. they broke 2 rules here. One, you don't make 3d Castlevania games! Two, you don't make traditional 3d fighting games for the Wii! but I digress; This review is about Castlevani III, so let's get on with it.

Graphics

Keeping the era in mind here, the graphics look quite good. If you've played another Castlevania, you should have a good idea of what you should expect from this one. Sprites are animated pretty well, and the screen moves pretty fluidly. Hey, it's the NES. You're only gonna get so much out of it. while Mario 3 certainly pushed it to it's limit, I try not to compare most games graphics on the NES to another.

As you can see, the backgrounds really are the highlight of this game's graphics.

Storyline

It's 1476, Dracula's at it again(those darn vampires) and Trevor Belmont(descendant of Simon Belmont) is gonna go give him a smack down with his whip. that's pretty much it. There are other playable characters in this one, however, but I'm going to leave them alone. If you want more detail on the story, play it yourself. i try not to do spoilers.

Controls

The controls are this game are pretty tight. you move, you jump, you attack. like pretty much all NES games, it's quite simple as far as controls go. And ya know what it might be better if some games were still that simple. So, basically, this games controls are pretty perfect by my standards.

Gameplay

Castlevania plays much like it's predecessors, but this time, it isn't nearly as linear. this time you may choose paths that effect various things. Today, this is common in a lot of games, but back then it was pretty cool...heck, it's still cool now. More games should do that. There are 2 main paths and a total of 15 stages(unless I miscounted). Overall, there are 4 playable characters whom all use different weapons, and other stat differences. Sypha Belnades is a priestess who is physically weak, but her magical power is astounding. Grant DaNasty(man that pun was sooo terrible) is a pirate....argh...he's actually pretty cool, though. He can change direction mid jump and climb walls. It is VERY useful sometimes. And then there is of course Alucard(cus ya know, NO other character has THAT name). He is Dracula's son. He can shoot balls of fire, and he can turn into a bat....how stereotypical of them! He's a pretty cool character though, and can actually be pretty useful. of course you already know what the main character is like more than like. he has a whip, and he kills things with it. This game is very fun, and very solid.

Sound

Oh my sweet Lord, I love this games soundtrack. I don't have any real reason for loving it, I just do. it's awesome.Some of it may be a bit "cliche" for a game about vampires, but it really doesn't matter. The music is awesome....oh yeah, there are some sounds too...they are good...but the music is way more awesome!

Overall

Buy/emulate this game. It is the best Castlevania on the NES, and it's just very, very good.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Could probably benefit from lots of proofreading. Six errors in the first three sentences, and I didn't make it past that.
By da Beef on 12-19-2009, 04:58 PM
yeah lot's of easily avoided errors here. remember:

its = possessive

it's = it is
By op89x on 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM
And "lot's" should be "lots."
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
I edited it...I didn't find the "lot's" typo you found, though.
By da Beef on 12-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
And "lot's" should be "lots."

lol you suck
By op89x on 12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I edited it...I didn't find the "lot's" typo you found, though.
You need to edit it again, because you're missing many. And the "lots" wasn't in regard to you.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Oh, I see. This really was written in a bit of a hurry. Yeah, I know I shouldn't do that.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 12-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I can't stress this enough, use word to write your review, after that copy it paragraph by paragraph and it will help. I always type it's by accident rather than its. It is something that I can't stop :-\
By Werebear on 12-19-2009, 06:07 PM
wow, i think you weant the dond were in the 3D games, not the 2D
Comment