Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Metroid
Metroid
You will die. I promise.
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-20-2009
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Metroid

Metroid is becoming more popular as time goes on. The Prime series has attracted a lot of new fans, and the upcoming Other M is receiving quite a lot of hype. almost everyone has played Super Metroid, but I talk to surprisingly few people who have actually played the original Metroid, which surprises me. I mean, even if you don't own an original cartridge like I do, it's unlockable in both Metroid Prime and Metroid Zero Mission. not to mention NES is really easy to emulate...not to mention the wii's virtual Cpnsole. Well, all that aside, here is the review.

Graphics

As I said in my first NES review, it -is- the NES. Graphics are only going to be so good. Things don't look bad at all, though. You can clearly make out what the enemies look like, and Samus' sprite is pretty well animated as well. My only complaint about the graphics is that a lot of things look the same. now, you're going to argue that this can be said for almost all NES games, and that is quite true;however, Metroid has such a large, vast map that sometimes it can become just a tad confusing for me. Maybe others do not feel this way, but, I simply had to account for it. Still, the graphics are very good and this is a very atmospherc game.

One of the first scenes in the game...oh yeah, you only start with 30 health points...good luck!
A close up of Samus' sprite, showing the detail that went into her suit.

Storyline

Samus'is a bounty hunter who has been sent to Zebes by the Galactic Federation to destroy Mother Brain and the spac pirates. The pirates have attacked a Federation ship and stolen Metrod samples. Metroids are floating parasitic creatures that drain the life force of creatures that they latch on to. The Space Pirates plan to use them as a bio Weapon of some sort I would assume. please note the word assume in that last sentence. This plot is actually pretty complicated for a game of it's era. In fact, I would say it, Kid Icarus and The Legend of Zelda have the most complex stories of that time period in gaming.

Controls

One thing you will notice is that you cannot craouch or aim downward. you will get used to this over time, and it will not be a problem anymore. Of course you know the bacsic contols right off the bat. You move, jump, and shoot. given that there is a directional pad, and an a and a B button, I'm pretty sure you can figure it out. Pressing down on the d-pad twice turns you into a morph ball(once you've aquired it). Also, to shoot missiles, you mus press the select button, and then push it again when you are done to switch back to regular shots. This is the only thing I don't like about the controls, but it's the best they could do at the time. all of the controls are very responsive.

Gameplay

Metroid is a very atmospheric adventure game with a large, vast overworld to explore. You will be retuning to many areas you have already visited with new equipment that will get you to new places you culd never reach before. metroid is all about exploration. It's about saying "Hey, I wonder what's beyond this point..." and then being brave enough to go find out.It's about discovering new things, and then using you're newfound abilities to progress even further. Also, this game is very hard. You only start with 30 health, and there are hazards litterally everywhere. The first time I played this game, I died within 5 minutes. But that's the thing about this game. You don't want to die. You don't have any extra lives. You fear for Samus' safety on this hostile planet. Speaking of not having lives, and dying, the game does have somewhat of a save system. like Kid Icarus, and many other games of the time, it has a password system. get out your handy dandy notebooks!

Sound

If you have ever played any metroid game, you will instantly recognize the music in this game. From the start screen music, to the "you found an item!" theme. All of the tunes are very familiar, and fit the game perfectly, adding even more to it's atmosphere.

Overall

For the Metroid, Nintendo, or Adventure fan, this is a must play. even if you've played the remake, Zero Mission, you should still play this one. It's one of the best games on the nintendo Entertainment Sysytem, and while it may not be as popular as some of the others, it definitely earns it's spot among their ranks.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 12-20-2009, 02:23 PM
As others have suggested before, it's not a bad idea to type this up in a word processor and run a spellcheck. Failing that, at least take the time to proofread it. Reviews littered with errors look sloppy and make it seem as if you really didn't care enough to put the effort into it. Also, you're making some of the same mistakes we pointed out in your last review, such as "it's," and now "you're."

Also, you're not really saying anything in this review. You say it's an atmospheric game, but you mention absolutely nothing to support that. How is it atmospheric? What did this to for the game? How was your experience affected by the atmosphere? Throwing in buzzwords doesn't constitute a review.

In the end, you say it's a must-play, but after reading your review I have no idea what the gameplay is like, why I should play it, or even what's good about it. All I know is that you start with 30 health and use a password system.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
My spell check must be screwed up then because I do run it. Thanks for the feedback, op
By op89x on 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
What program do you use?
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
ms word
By op89x on 12-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Are you sure you're running it properly? When I copy and paste this into Word it brings up a myriad of errors. 59, to be exact.
By Mreow on 12-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Gonna get this for Virtual console sometime after Christmas good review!
By DarkLegacy on 12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
To mistakes for me to say this review is good, It's ok
Comment