Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Games > Mario Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,998, Level: 100 Points: 58,998, Level: 100 Points: 58,998, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Sm Mario Thoughts on New Super Mario Bros Wii so far

I will do a good review on the game later, but for now I just had to share my initial thoughts on this game.

New Super Mario Bros for the DS was pretty awesome. If you liked that, you will be amazed at New Super Mario Bros Wii. After the first New Super Mario Bros, many fans wanted a "New" version of all the Super Mario games, like a "New Super Mario Bros 3," or "New Super Mario World." This game, is indeed New Super Mario World.

For starters, there's the wonderful return of Yoshi. The problem is that you cannot take him outside of a level. When you get to the end, you have to leave him behind. Also, the Koopa Kids return. Ludwig, Morton, Wendy, Bowser Jr, and the rest of them. Like in the first NSMB, you fight a boss in the middle, and then again at the end of a world.

New powerups include an ice suit which of course lets you shoot ice balls, a penguin suit which is just like the ice suit except you can slide on your belly and swim better, and the propeller suit which gives you great altitude and can be really heavy should you fall off a cliff.

All these new powerups are great, and really add to the fun of the game. Also what is great, is that this game is much harder than it looks, and considerably more difficult than recent games. It's not controller tossing difficult, but pleasantly challenging as there are moments where enemies will come at you left and right, until the whole screen is filled with them.

As you know, there is a co-op mode which allows you to play with up to three friends. I don't know what it's like playing with three other people, but in my experience with playing with one other person, it works moderately well. If one of you dies, than the other gets to continue until the player that died returns. Should all the players die at the same time, you have to restart from the beginning or the mid-stage checkpoint. The big drawback to this is that your teammates can jump off of your heads, which can really be a hindrance at times and even cause accidental deaths occasionally. There's also a competitive multiplayer that pits everyone against each other.

So overall, so far, NSMB Wii is a great buy, one of the best games on Wii, and to Mario fans and/or platforming veterans it's a sweet treat. I will do a review in the near future, but just wanted to share my initial thoughts for now.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Paul, Steve
Tekken 6 mains: Paul, Steve, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim/Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

why is it a problem that Yoshi does not continue to the next level
Old 12-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,998, Level: 100 Points: 58,998, Level: 100 Points: 58,998, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Sm Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
why is it a problem that Yoshi does not continue to the next level
Well, this is the first time since Super Mario Sunshine that we've ridden Yoshi. In other games like Super Mario World you get to take him with you. Riding Yoshi is a fun luxury that we missed, and some fans are a bit disappointed about it. It wouldn't be a problem if he appeared more often, but he only appears once or twice every few worlds.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I'm so glad you can't take Yoshi to the next level. And I hate the new powerups. I just got this game this morning, played for a few hours, and I think my opinion of it is entirely the opposite of yours.

And the controls are atrocious.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

Link Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
I'm so glad you can't take Yoshi to the next level. And I hate the new powerups. I just got this game this morning, played for a few hours, and I think my opinion of it is entirely the opposite of yours.

And the controls are atrocious.
Well, I just got it for Christmas so I'm not done yet but I'm pretty far.

What's wrong with the controls? It's so simple. Sometimes you do forget to shake the joystick though. And having to control the platforms by tilting the remote is sucky. The ice suit is kind of pointless but fun and the propeller suit is a lifesaver man!

Plus, it's even more fun when you play with other people. You have to play with at least one other person. I think it's much better than the DS version and like I said it's pleasantly challenging in a world of new games that are much too easy, like Twilight Princess.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
op89x
Not on the review team
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
Well, I just got it for Christmas so I'm not done yet but I'm pretty far.

What's wrong with the controls? It's so simple. Sometimes you do forget to shake the joystick though. And having to control the platforms by tilting the remote is sucky. The ice suit is kind of pointless but fun and the propeller suit is a lifesaver man!

Plus, it's even more fun when you play with other people. You have to play with at least one other person. I think it's much better than the DS version and like I said it's pleasantly challenging in a world of new games that are much too easy, like Twilight Princess.
What's wrong with the controls? I'm limited to motion options, that's what; I don't feel like I have any control at all. Everytime I sneeze or get a chill up my spine Mario jumps into the air, which has killed me several times. And holding 1 down to move Toad around simply doesn't work for me, since I often find myself throwing him into a hole or an enemy for no reason whatsoever. I have no idea how that happens at all, since I don't let go of the button. This could have easily been addressed by the Classic of GC controller, but Nintendo is too in love with its motion controls to let the player have the option as to whether he wants to use them or not.

Well, their beloved controls practically ruin this game. There is nothing more frustrating than suddenly jumping up and into a hole or a wall of spikes, or seeing Mario suddenly throw Toad into a pit of lava and having no idea how it happened.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

i hated the motion stuff too. then i got used to it. picking up things never really felt natural, but it was never a problem, either. and i just skipped the Toad levels. not worth it

nothing about the controls is gamebreaking though. i too died from unintentional waggle, but it only happened maybe three times total throughout the entire game. undoubtedly a problem, but again it never ruined my experience. plus the "extended jump" that shaking the controller while in air allows for some very intricate platforming

my biggest complaint control-wise has nothing to do with motion, it's the lost ability to throw shells up, like in Super Mario World. the game is designed around this, so you never need it, but it felt like an odd thing to trim out
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
TheLoveB4U
Sakura Medic
Points: 2,009, Level: 27 Points: 2,009, Level: 27 Points: 2,009, Level: 27
User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Chao User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Excitebike Trophy User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Red Pikmin

My Mood: Lurking
TheLoveB4U has a spectacular aura aboutTheLoveB4U has a spectacular aura aboutTheLoveB4U has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes
Send a message via AIM to TheLoveB4U Send a message via MSN to TheLoveB4U Send a message via Yahoo to TheLoveB4U Xbox Live Gamertag: Tickletot WiiU ID: TickleTot
Its fun
Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Alice
----
Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 PSN ID: ArktikAlice Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
it's not TOO hard, but the new power-ups take over. every 1/10 or so items is a fire flower, and i like fire flowers o-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
op89x
Not on the review team

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
i hated the motion stuff too. then i got used to it. picking up things never really felt natural, but it was never a problem, either. and i just skipped the Toad levels. not worth it

nothing about the controls is gamebreaking though. i too died from unintentional waggle, but it only happened maybe three times total throughout the entire game. undoubtedly a problem, but again it never ruined my experience. plus the "extended jump" that shaking the controller while in air allows for some very intricate platforming

my biggest complaint control-wise has nothing to do with motion, it's the lost ability to throw shells up, like in Super Mario World. the game is designed around this, so you never need it, but it felt like an odd thing to trim out
I also missed the ability to throw shells up. I also missed the ability for Yoshi to swallow some of the things he used to be able to swallow, but oh well.

To me, at least, the controls are broken. Every time I die because of poor controls, that's a fault with the game. I've died or taken a hit at least 10 times since I've played, and it got the the point where I would simply put another game in. I have five other new games to play, and can afford to play something better, like Okami, or something with better controls, like The Conduit.

Closed Thread