Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Balloon Fight
Balloon Fight
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-28-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 94%
Balloon Fight

Balloon Fight is a pretty well known game, though maybe not quite as well known as most other Nintendo games. It had a trophy in Super smash Bros. Melee, has been released on the Wii Virtual Console, and is playable in Animal Crossing for the Gamecube. it has even been remade on the DS as "Tingle's Balloon pop". not sure if it was released in the US though.

Graphics

The graphics are simple, but they were like that for every game at the time. ground looks like ground, and water looks like water....well, duh. you can easily make out the small details of your balloon fighter, such as his eyes, and his arms moving as he flies about. the enemies are birds, and they also look quite detailed for the time. Probably the most detailed sprite in the game are the clouds. they look layered, and puffy. Overall, the graphics, though minimal, are very good for the time.

Storyline

Uhh...you...want to...kill birds because...they are evil balloon birds? does this game HAVE story?

Controls

Obviously the control pad moves you. Pressing the A button causes you to flap once, rising just a tad. Holding the B button down, however, causes you to continuously flap, rising higher faster, at the loss of some minor control.

Gameplay

Using the above mentioned cotnrol scheme, you flutter around the screen popping the balloon on the enemy birds, and causing them to fall....come to think of it, they're birds...why do they need balloons? ah well, ebst not to think about it I suppose. After popping their balloon, they will plumit from the sky. you can land on top of them and kill them before they even touch the ground for additional points, or you can wait for them to land, and go kicks them. If you don't kill them, they come back with faster balloons, so make it snappy! you yourself have two baloons. Of course, you already know what is going to happen if they both pop...but what if you just lose one? you actually become harder to control! quite impressive physics for the time, wouldn't you agree? There is multiplayer, which is just like single player. you can cooperate as a team, or be a little jerk and kill your buddy. Watch out for controllers that may be hurled at your head if you choose that route. There is a second play mode called Balloon Trip, which is a sidescroller. There is no land, and there are many obstacles. Basically, you just try to make it as far as possible...I suck at this mode myself, so I don't really play it much.

Sound

You're mostly just going to hear beeps of varying types. For some reason there is always some sort of beeping going on. I'm not entirely sure of the source. there is a satisfying little bursting noise whenever a balloon is popped and a cartoonish falling noise when you or an enemy is plummeting to their watery demise. There is of course a starting jingle, a death jingle and a little jingle that plays when the fish comes up to eat things that fall in the water. you will never forget any of them. I love the sounds of this game, even if the beeping gets on my nerves occasionally.

Overall

Incredible, addictive, fun. one of my favorite NES games of all time. This is a must play, and it's especially fun if you play it cooperatively with a friend.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 94%
If you saw this before I edited it, feel free to laugh at what I almost said in the Graphics segment
By Alice on 12-28-2009, 11:39 PM
balloon fight was fun as a recreational game to play every now and then.

your review explains it very well. short and sweet
By Mreow on 12-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Is it just me that finds this game too hard?
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 94%
It can be in the later portions of the game.
Comment