Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
The most imaginative, capturing movie to grace theatres in a while in my opinion.
Published by Brandyn
01-02-2010
Author review
Movie Rating
85%85%85%
Average 85%

From James Cameron, director of the cinematic hit Titanic, comes this all new science fiction with a great story, awe-inspiring special effects, and great performances by the actors. This is Avatar.

The movie is about Jake, a rookie RDA soldier who lives in the shadow of his deceased brother and is crippled to a wheelchair. Jake soon meets Norm, and the two undergo expiriments to have their "avatars" created. The RDA corporation wants to mine a substantially valuable type of mineral from the planet Pandora, a planet reminiscent of the original Earth.The planetary conditions are inhospitable to standard humans, as they cannot even breath on it. On the planet Pandora reside a clan of blue huamoid aliens called the "Na'vi" who are indigeonous to the planet who live as hunters under the rule of their Cheif. "Avatars" resemble this species, and it's sort of like the Na'vi version of Jake. Jake enters his Avatar form when he goes to sleep inside a an RDA chamber, and awakes in his Avatar body to where his "mind and soul are transfered." The initial mission is for Jake, Norm, and the cheif scientist Dr. Augustine (portrayed by Sigourney Weaver) to infiltrate the clan and observe their ways so that the Corporation can force them out of their land in order to mine the valuable minerals. The Corporation is very technilogically advanced, wheras the native Na'vi use mere bow and arrows. Over time however, Jake begins to take a liking to the People, and soon he loses track of which is the dream, and which is the reality.

First off, I really recommend seeing the movie in 3D if possible. It really helped to bring the movie and all it's amazing glory to life. Even without 3D, I'm sure the movie would've been awesome. With 3D, you could feel more as though you were in the film however. And with 3D, the beauty of the movie was better showcased. The elements and the forest jumped out at you and set the atmosphere better. The action in the movie was also great in 3D, and it was like you could feel everything. That said though, I'm sure it would've been great without 3D. The movie features no big-name actors (besides the aforementinoned Sigourney Weaver). The plot of this movie is nice, with some great ideas. But what everybody is really talking about aside from that, the amazing performances, is the incredible CGI visuals. Now, at first you may know that it's of course CGI, but as the movie progresses you will forget. The graphics are indescribable. You can tell the production did not spare a dime in bringing the animated aliens, and the beautiful, luscuious environments of Planet Pandora to life. The Na'vi people look so lifelike, you really do forget that the movie is CGI. It also had it's share of lighthearted, funny moments but not too many so as to detract from the intended mood of the movie like *cough* Transformers 2* *cough* The character development is great, and you really grow attached to the characters, even the bad guys.

After reflecting a bit though, alot of scenes were simply uneeded and perhaps too much emphasis was placed on the relationship between Jake and Neytri. Some scenes definately could've been shortened or just cut out and it did need much more action, for the bulk of the action in the movie was in the climax.

THE BOTTOM LINE: Avatar is an absolute must-see for Science Fiction lovers, or any film-buff in general. Even if not that, it's still worth the steadily climbing ticket price. I'll admit it starts out slow (or maybe for me), but it starts to accelarate some in the Second Act, and then goes soaring speed in the Climactic Showdown between the aliens and the Corporation. The amount of imagination and is simply incredible mixed with beautiful visuals that will take your breath away.

My Grade for this film: "A" as in....Avatar is Awesome!

King Game, now awarded Nintendo Fan Forum's "Gloomiest Member" (well, at least I'm famous in a way.)
Sponsored Links
By Alice on 01-02-2010, 11:52 PM
summed up the movie very well.
and yes, 3D makes it so much better =)
By Brandyn on 01-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks, yeah it's one of the, if not the, best sci-fis I've ever seen.
By Stapler on 01-03-2010, 02:03 AM
To be brutally honest, I don't like this review.
You spoke too much of the story, and you tend to repeat yourself when you want to make the review seem longer.

The reason I've got a negative feel towards your review is because you wrote that you have "great writing skills," and there is no proof supporting that.
By Brandyn on 01-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
To be brutally honest, I don't like this review.
You spoke too much of the story, and you tend to repeat yourself when you want to make the review seem longer.

The reason I've got a negative feel towards your review is because you wrote that you have "great writing skills," and there is no proof supporting that.
I'm sorry, I honestly was not trying to brag, as I hate braggers and showoffs. I was worried my review sounded like I copy/pasted it from somewhere so I just put that in in cast some people didn't think I was smart enough to write that Again, not to brag.
By Mreow on 01-03-2010, 05:23 AM
I watched this in 3d, and itīs the best movie iīve seen in years
By da Beef on 01-03-2010, 05:43 AM
terrible review. Stapler nailed it. in addition to his comments, you dont start by outright stating that Titanic was a masterpiece. when dealing with that word (which is a huge one that is horribly misused by many), you have to be careful. make it clear that it is a masterpiece in your opinion only. also the fact that you only list this as James Cameron's filmography makes it obvious you know nothing of the man's work. if you did, you would know that Avatar grossly siphons all of its aesthetics from Cameron's true masterwork, Aliens

and what of Avatar being an obvious retelling of Dances With Wolves? how's that for failed allegory? (two in one year if you are counting, District 9 was the other) equating humans to other species makes no sense. these are the things you need to think about when reviewing a movie. do not just summarize the plot, which is what you did. be analytical, not descriptive. when you weren't summarizing, you were spouting empty sentences containing emptier opinions. example:

Quote:
It really helped to bring the movie and all it's amazing glory to life. The plot of this movie is pretty strong, moving, and generally not too predictable.

um, ok? care to back that up? i guess not. you throw a lot of buzzwords around and hope people dont notice that you are saying absolutely nothing. well i noticed
By Stapler on 01-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
terrible review. Stapler nailed it. in addition to his comments, you dont start by outright stating that Titanic was a masterpiece. when dealing with that word (which is a huge one that is horribly misused by many), you have to be careful. make it clear that it is a masterpiece in your opinion only. also the fact that you only list this as James Cameron's filmography makes it obvious you know nothing of the man's work. if you did, you would know that Avatar grossly siphons all of its aesthetics from Cameron's true masterwork, Aliens

and what of Avatar being an obvious retelling of Dances With Wolves? how's that for failed allegory? (two in one year if you are counting, District 9 was the other) equating humans to other species makes no sense. these are the things you need to think about when reviewing a movie. do not just summarize the plot, which is what you did. be analytical, not descriptive. when you weren't summarizing, you were spouting empty sentences containing emptier opinions. example:

um, ok? care to back that up? i guess not. you throw a lot of buzzwords around and hope people dont notice that you are saying absolutely nothing. well i noticed
[/FONT]

I think I love you.
By op89x on 01-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I've been thinking of a nicer way to say what Beef just said, as I see that you've come to him for review advice and obviously want to improve, but I think he basically said the most important thing: good reviews critique and analyze, not summarize. The first comment is an outright insult:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronWewstad View Post
summed up the movie very well.
and yes, 3D makes it so much better =)
Your reviews should never "sum up" the movie. To do so is to cheat the reader. A good review has the potential to give the reader something they may not be able to take out of the movie themselves; everything in this review is something I could have learned myself by watching the movie, or even the previews.

Search for and read my House of the Dead review. In there I talk about the game, but I go beyond the obvious and talk about its relationship to film, feminism, self-awareness, etc. What you need to do is simply go beyond the obvious. Tell me something I don't know from watching the previews, and tell me something I may have missed by watching the movie. It's not the best way to put it, but it will give you an idea as to what you should be thinking about when writing a review.
By DragonLX on 01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Reviews are serious business.
Closed Review

Tags
aliens, avatar, cgi, epic, war