Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Pokemon LeafGreen Version
A classic remake!
Published by Keyman4
01-13-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

A word from Keyman4
Hello everyone! It's been such a long time since I've done a review for this site, my last two being decent but readable at the same time! Well now that I have more time on my hands, hopefully I'll be able to get up 1-2 reviews a week! This is also 1 out of the 2 reviews that is required for me to hopefully join the review team! Now lets get on to the actual review.......

A little history about Pokemon
The first Pokemon games, Pokemon Red and Blue (Green being released in Japan) were originally released in the US on September 30, 1998. These two games would go on to spawn into a hugely popular series that helped with the GameBoy's production! They would also spawn a successful television show, complete with 13 movies and more than 530 episodes. Since then, Pokemon has become a worldwide phenomenon and is stilled enjoyed today in the names of Pokemon Platnium, Diamond, Pearl, Battle Revolution, and Rumble!

Information about Pokemon Leafgreen Version!

Release Date: September 7, 2004
Genre: Console Role-Playing ( for those who didn't know)
Designer[s]: Satoshi Tajiri and Junichi Masuda
Artist: Ken Sugimori
Publisher: Nintendo&GameFreak
Developer: GameFreak

Introduction to LeafGreen

Pokemon Leafgreen was released in the September of 2004 as the remake of the hugely successful Pokemon Red and Blue (the original Green being released in Japan only). This and FireRed both introduced a new "help" system which was built for newbie players of the games. It's basically an in game guide that introduces the rules of Pokemon, the type effectiveness chart, what certain terms meant, and so forth.They were highly praised upon released and receive many positive reviews from the major gaming websites such as, , and many others. They went on to be the second best GBA (GameBoyAdvance) selling games, behind Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. They also received the Players' Choice award later.

Now lets actually get to the game!!!!!!!!!!!!

Storyline: 7/10
The storyline is most Pokemon games share the same storyline: raise your Pokemon that you chose as a starter from a certain professor, get all 8 gym badges of that particular region, beat the notorious "Pokemon Thief" team, defeat the Elite 4 and become the new Champion of that region and it is the same in this game. The plot is pretty basic and is nothing to complex, making the story easier for younger audiences as well as teen ones. However, an enchance to this game is the "Sevii Islands" quest which adds more replay value to the game and adds a little bit more to the story. The story could've used a bit more detail at certain parts and could have changed some from the original Red and Blue games, which would've really improved this game's story structure. Overall, the storyline is decent and is nothing to special but still passable!

Characters: 9/10
There are a lot of unique characters in this game, ranging from your rival to the leader of Team Rocket himself, Giovanni, to the Champion of the Kanto region, which if you havenít played yet, I wonít spoil it. They all have fun and creative styles and meeting a new one never got old.

Items: 9/10
On your quest to being the Pokemon champion, you aquire many regular and key items, including the Master Ball, the Rods, Coin Case, the Pokeflute, and many more! Most of these items are very useful in the game, and you will find yourself using them a lot through the game. My only complaint is that I wish that they brought some kind of radio function, like in Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Grahpics: 9/10

The original graphics on the first games weren't exactly stunning, but they sure was fun looking at those tiny little creatures beating the mess out of each other.
Thanks to the graphical power of the GBA, the Kanto region has been faithfully recreated and looks even better than before. The Pokemon and the Trainers themselves were bright and crisp, and the overworld had clean and beautiful graphics at the time, and are still appealing to the eye today. The intro battle between Nidorino (male version) and Gengar also looks better than ever and the action, albeit short, were bright and vivid. This happens to be one of the most outstanding aspects of this wonderful game.

Sound/Music: 10/10
Apart from the actual gameplay and the graphics, this was another outstanding aspect about this game.From Viridian City to Victory Road, the music from the original game is still intact here but was faithfully remade, and it is better than ever, thanks again to the power of the GBA. The sound effects in this game are also spectacular in this game, from hearing Charizardís cry to hearing the sound of a satisfying Hyper Beam. As a bonus, the Sevii Islands music changed from the original overworld music to a remix of Gold/ Silver/ music ( at least as well as I remember) which really added variety to the gameís overall music. Overall, the music was great in this game, and there wasnít anytime where I wanted to turn off the sound on GBA.

And now for the main course and what makes Pokemon so fun( drumroll please)

DrumRoll: boobaaaboobabaaabababaoooooooooooooom!!!!

Gameplay: 10/10

From catching your first Pokemon to defeating the Champion, the gameplay was always upbeat and never got boring! With this being the third generation, the 2nd generation as well as the new Pokemon introduced in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were also in this game, giving players a HUGE variety of Pokemon to choose from and numerous stratagies to use. Another thing that made this game really helpful to newbie players was the help system, which was accessed by the L and R shoulder buttons on the GBA. This huge system basically told newbie players the main rules of the game, terms to know such as ATK, DEF, SPD, accuracy, evasion, etc, what certain items did, and other numerous stuff. If players still didnít understand the main concept of Pokemon, their were new items that could visually teach them such as the Teachy TV where the ďPokemon DudeĒ would show you how to catch pokemon, how to battle with them, and so forth. The multiplayer in this game was also fun to play and never showed any problems. So overall, the gameplay was truly the main "meat" of this game. Hopefully Nintendo and GameFreak keep this up in the upcoming HeartGold and SoulSilver games!

Closing words: So all in all, Pokemon LeafGreen, along with its counterpart, FireRed, is a well made remake of a classic GB game, and every Pokemon fan should play this and own this in their collection of Pokemon merchandise! If you've already played this game, then congratulations on playing one of the greatest GBA games ever made!

Keyman says: You better buy this game right now!

As for the Review: So I was trying to give you a better review than my last two NFF reviews and hopefully I acheived that! Please rate this review, tell me how I can do it better ( I'm looking at you, op98x), and I promise to give you more detailed reviews along with bigger text, more pictures, more humurous aspects, AND anything else you guys wanna see!

Now unsheath your shields, bring out your shields, get your ninjas, mages, monks, and everybody you got to get ready and kick some evil butt because the review for FFIV DS is next!!

Published by
The Mega Master
Keyman4 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Keyman4
Sponsored Links
By DragonLX on 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM
This is a great improvement to your other reviews, except that I think you overrated some scores.
By Tencade Kazarian on 01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
great game. The wirless feature was pointless sense it never took off and the DS came out soon after.
By Keyman4 on 01-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLX View Post
This is a great improvement to your other reviews, except that I think you overrated some scores.
thanks for the advice!
By Alice on 01-14-2010, 12:30 AM
i think it should have been both leafgreen and firered in one =P
but great review nontheless
By Joe22 on 01-14-2010, 12:44 AM
You could also mention the re-playability of the game, I personally have player through them dozens of times, be it just to get more master balls and rare candies.
By Keyman4 on 01-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronWewstad View Post
i think it should have been both leafgreen and firered in one =P
but great review nontheless

yeah I thought about it, but it would've been a lot of pics,and I did half of this review in school.....
By Keyman4 on 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe22 View Post
You could also mention the re-playability of the game, I personally have player through them dozens of times, be it just to get more master balls and rare candies.

oops forgot about that!
Comment