Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Pokemon Emerald Version!
Pokemon Emerald Version!
A great redo to two already epic games!
Published by Keyman4
01-14-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Pokemon Emerald Version!

Introduction: Hello NNFians, and welcome to another Keyman4 game review! Now I know I said in my Pokemon LeafGreen review that my next review was on Final Fantasy IV DS, but I found Pokemon Emerald sometime after the LeafGreen review, played through it some,( fortunately I had already beat the game) and decided "Hey, Wynaut do a review for NFF?". Now I really want you guys to see a good review and what I'm capable of doing, so I bring you this review! I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy making it and hopefully, this will be even better than my most recent review! Op98x, time to rate this!

While you're at it, why not enjoy some music while reading this review?

Without further adieu.......

Story: 7/10
Like all Pokemon games, your journey begins in your hometown(in this case being in the small and quiet Littleroot Town). Your goal is to beat all of Hoenn's 8 gym leaders, defeat the Elite 4 and the champion and earn the title as Hoenn's new champion. A new addition to the story is both Team Magma and Aqua being the main villains of Emerald, and both are trying to awaken Groudon and Kyorge, respectively, to try and control the world. Of course, it is your job to stop them from bringing chaos to the world when they ACTUALLY awaken the legendary Pokemon by awakening the powerful pokemon that makes it home way up in the sky, Rayquaza! Now I thought that the story was a little better than most of the Pokemon games in the main series, being that it added a little more depth and seriousness to the Pokemon world. However, it still isn't really complex and it was missing a lot of and details. It also had little humour, which was a real let down, especially considering that Pokemon games have a good amount of humor in them, noticably Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time.GameFreak could've done better with the story, either by being more specific at certain parts or by changing the storyline all together. Overall, players will be treated to a decent storyline when playing this game, and will not be really drawn into it.

Graphics:8/10

All of the Pokemon games are well known for there vivid and colorful graphics, and this game is no exception. From looking at clock when you first set it, to viewing the mini cutscene on the ending credits, the graphics were at a high point in this game, only being topped by LeafGreen/FireRed. The battles were also a visual treat, bringing flashy and cartoonish moves to a high level. My one and only problem with the graphics is how repetitve and simple they would start to get over the course of the game, whereas in FireRed and LeafGreen, I didn't find any problems with simplicity in the graphics A final thing to add is the Pokemon animation feature which returns from Pokemon Crystal, which added a sense of realism to the game. Still,the graphics are still one of the best aspects of this game and were well made.

Music/Sound: 9/10
One of my favorite parts of this game was the music! From your first battle against you rival to the Champion's music, I never had the sound on my DS on low. The music was well crafted and had really memorable and catchy tunes that was always upbeat and set the game's mood, depending on wherever you was in this game. Another great section in this game was the sound effects from moving the cursor on menus and so forth, to hearing Rayquaza's Cry which I thought would be annoying but turned out to be fine tuned and really goes with the music. Many hardcore fans of Pokemon will find the music and sound as good as the good 'ol Pokemon Red and Blue games.

To hear more of this game's awesome music, here's some more videos:

Gameplay and Replay Value: 9/10

Probably the best thing about Pokemon is its core battles and this one is no exception! The battle system is one of the most easiest and entertaining things that you can find in an RPG, and anyone can pick up on it right away. Another outstanding aspect about the battle system is that it is always fair and shows very few problems, especially with it being on GBA! This being an enchanced version of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, some notable new features were added, including the brand new Battle Frontier which was basically a set of battling facilities which extended the replay value by a lot ( and brought creative new Pokemon battling ideas), the Trainer Tower from Pokemon LeafGreen/ FireRed, ( which is basically a race up a tower to the top against tough trainers) the ability to refight the gym leaders in an even more challenging battle, which also added to the replay value, more double battles,and still included the classic contests and the ability to fight Steven, the previous champion in Ruby and Sapphire and the "hidden" champ in Emerald. Another fun part which always shines in a Pokemon game is the Gamer Corner, with the difficulty being cranked up and a roulette table being introduced, in case you got tired of the slots machine, which was also The bicycle riding in this game is the slightest bit finicky to use a unique element to this game, even when using the Acro Bike, but overall help you to get to where you needed to go faster. One of my favorite parts in this game was the Trick House, which did add some to the game's little humour. Basically what this was was a house filled with eight simple but fun and entertaining puzzles and gave you a break from your journey, in case you got bored of battles. Overall, this is easily the best part of the game, giving you so much to play and enjoy all while feeling fresh and new!

Controls: 10/10
This is easily the most fundamental, yet easiest control scheme you'll ever come across in a GBA game, besides the other Pokemon titles. The cross pad moves your character in the overworld and moves your cursor around in menus, while the B Button activates your Running Shoes, which allows your characters to move faster if your not using your Bike, and the A button imputs selections and advances text. Finally, you get your start button which brings up your menu, and the select button ,as always , activates your selected key item from the items list. Overall this is perfect and has no problems whatsoever, giving it a perfect score of 10/10

Conclusion: So overall, this is a great game and is worth your time picking it up used at your local GameStop if you don't have it already.

Closing words: So there's my second Pokemon review which hopefully puts me on the review team and I believe it has more details than my LeafGreen one. I hoped you enjoyed reading all of this text and enjoying the great music along with it, and please rate, tell what I can do to improve my future reviews, and tell me how I did in words. This is Keyman saying have a good day and he looks forward to more NFF!
Published by
The Mega Master
Keyman4 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Keyman4
Sponsored Links
By Skreamo on 01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Sweet Review D:
Kickass old school GBA game haha
By Keyman4 on 01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skreamo View Post
Sweet Review D:
Kickass old school GBA game haha

thanks
By Mreow on 01-16-2010, 03:52 AM
I like this review. And i also like this game very much.
By DarkLegacy on 01-16-2010, 07:54 AM
You have improved, well done. I love this game <3
By Keyman4 on 01-16-2010, 09:31 AM
I can't Thank you guys enough for you comments!
By Joe22 on 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree with the review fully.
By Mreow on 01-16-2010, 06:00 PM
How? Why? What´s yor opinion?
Comment