Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
The Matrix review
The Matrix review
Dodge This
Published by da Beef
01-23-2010
Author review
Movie RatingN/A
Average N/A%
The Matrix review

1999, directed by The Wachowski Bros.

It seems some cinephiles fail to “get” The Matrix. I remember Roger Ebert’s review on his and the late Gene Siskel's program At the Movies compared it unfavorably to Dark City, and the shared consensus of he and then guest critic Joel Siegel was “at least it tries.” Honestly, I don’t think anyone can fully appreciate this film until they have some understanding of Japanese animation and comics, which I’m sure Roger Ebert does not. Much like Star Wars was an amalgamation of film and television classicism and mythological archetypes, The Matrix unites anime and manga influenced cinematography with wuxia style action sequences. But this isn’t to undermine its Western roots; recall Neo and Smith’s final battle: a Mexican standoff of definitively “Western” flavor, complete with a listless tumble-weed, only now it’s subway garbage. Sweetly topped off of course with (increasingly) relevant Internet society commentary, The Matrix is technocalyptic, philosophical, purely kick-ass filmmaking at its very best. I firmly believe that its quality and relevance is only beginning to be understood, and no film maker will ever entirely escape (or dodge, har) its impact.

Sponsored Links
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 01-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow, good insight. I've heard lots of people hate this, and lots love it. I can't remember myself since I haven't watched it in years, but I'm pretty sure that I liked it.
By Brandyn on 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Nice I must admit, and interesting choice in vocab.
By op89x on 01-23-2010, 12:16 PM
I think the comparison to Star Wars is dead-on, although Star Wars also borrows heavily from Kabuki theatre, an ancient art, and the Matrix does things never done before with its "staging;" my favorite example is what has become known as "bullet-time," which is a stupid name, but whatever. Even so, the comparison is an appropriate one, but I must insist The Matrix was far more progressive than Star Wars in that one respect.
By da Beef on 01-23-2010, 02:06 PM
op i'll agree that the Matrix is more progressive. Star Wars was more about combining every story and culture ever told into a modern myth
By da Beef on 01-26-2010, 12:26 AM
op i may be wrong, but i'm guessing that Japanese cinema has deep roots in kabuki theater, thus its presence in Star Wars
By op89x on 01-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
op i may be wrong, but i'm guessing that Japanese cinema has deep roots in kabuki theater, thus its presence in Star Wars
You're right, but I don't see how that would impact Star Wars so much. Lucas borrowed heavily from Kabuki and he probably would have regardless of its origin.
Closed Review