Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney - Review
Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney - Review
by Pokeman
Published by Pokeman
01-24-2010
Author review
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
Thumbs up Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney - Review

I'm just going to say this now, I'm not very good with scoring games/movies with numbers. The only reason I scored this is because I felt like I had too.. so don't take the scores too seriously, just read my review and decide if it sounds like a game you would like or want to play.

here is some OST from the game to listen to while you read my review.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is the first game in the "Ace Attorney" series. It's was originally released in 2001 for gba in japan only, but Capcom remade it for DS in 05' and was finally released in america. I've always wanted to try out the series. I thought it was very unique looking, but mostly the reason I wanted to play it was for the famous..

Once I actually played it though, it was awesome.
It was very funny, it had great music, it was challenging, and it also made you think way outside the box sometimes.

Phoenix Wright is also a very linear game. No matter what you do, you always get the same thing. When presenting evidence if you present the wrong piece, the judge penalizes you. After a certain amount of penaltys, it's game over. No matter what you say, there is always only one way to proceed in the game. Personally though, I don't really care. I like it that way.

The story of the game is basicly your playing as a noob defence attorney named Phoenix Wright. You start out outside the courtroom a few minutes before Phoenixes very first case. The First case is basicly the tutorial, explaining how you to cross-examine witnesses and how to present evidence to find contradictions in the witnesses testimony.

Obviously the first case is pretty easy, but once you get to the later cases the mysteries you have to solve get tougher and tougher.. of course making it more fun. After the first case, the real game begins though. You'll be able to visit the crime scenes and search for clues, or you could go to lots of other places such as the detention center to talk to the person your defending.

One of the main reasons why I love this game (and the whole series) so much, besides it being challanging, is that it can be so damn funny. Even when your in court its sometimes hilarious, with the judge never understanding what's going on, or people saying the most retarded things possible, it makes it seem like Phoenix is the only sane person.

If this doesn't make you want to play, then I don't know what will.
(If your listening to the music in the first video, pause it)

One thing I actually just realised whle writing this review, is that I care about some of the characters in the series, which is pretty rare for me in games. Every character has very differant and unique personality. From an oldbag blabbering about random stuff, to a pink slut showing off her boobs. Everyone is differant, and I love it.

Speaking of the slut, that reminds me. Phoenix Wright is not a kids game, which may be pretty obvious since the whole game is about solving murder cases and how people say things like "we are so screwed" or "damnit", but it definately feels like a happy kids game. Which is not a bad thing at all.

The controls are good, I can't really complain about anything in that area since the only "control" it has is picking things. Actually, there is one thing I guess that could have been better (that they fixed in the later games) When you want to object or if you want to press someone on their testimony, you can either press the OBJECTION button or HOLD IT (for pressing).. BUT you could also hold Y and say it out loud, my complaint is that it doesn't recognize what im saying sometimes, but like I said, they fixed it in the later games. In the last case, you also get to search for fingerprints, and you have to put this powder on things and then you have to blow into the mic to blow the powder off to see the fingerprints. I think that was pretty cool.

The music in the series, in my opinion, is great. The music in the first video I had is the music that plays when your cross-examining the witness. It plays all the time in the game but I promise it will never get old, neither will any of the other songs. The Ace Attorney series probably has some of my favorite video game music of all time in them, it's that good. I can't really say much about it, but the music is great, let's just keep it at that.

Here is one of my favorite songs from the series (you don't have to listen to it)

All in all, I definately recommend Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney to everybody. Like I said, I will not give it a score of a #/10, But I do recommend it.

Oh yeah, the series is also going to be on wiiware pretty soon, I don't know the details too well though.

THE END
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Sal Manella changed my life

i will probably get this on Wiiware when i have the chance
By Pokeman on 01-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
Sal Manella changed my life

i will probably get this on Wiiware when i have the chance
I think I will too, even though I have it for DS already, lol
By da Beef on 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
you know this is actually a very funny review
By Pokeman on 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
thanks bro
By AlloftheAbove on 02-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Give it a spell-check.
By Pokeman on 02-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloftheAbove View Post
Give it a spell-check.
where?
By ... on 02-02-2010, 03:04 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 86%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
where?
Dumbass.
By Rin on 02-02-2010, 03:37 AM
There are a few spelling errors, but nothing major. I actually enjoyed the review. It was shorter than most I've read, and it got to the point instead of just flatly describing everything that I could find out from reading the booklet.

Overall, I liked it.
By Pokeman on 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
meh, I really dont care about spelling errors at all.
-

thanks rin
Comment