Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
The Happening review
The Happening review
Gucking Fenius
Published by da Beef
02-04-2010
Author review
Movie RatingN/A
Average N/A%
The Happening review

2008, directed by M. Night Shyamalan

"You know hot dogs got a bad rep? They got a cool shape, they got protein. You like hot dogs, right?"

The Happening is like hot dogs. It got a lot of crap when it first came out, and indeed, I thought I tactfully avoided more Shyamalan kitsch after hating Lady In the Water (though I now want to revisit it), but when I caught this on TV the other night, I was pleasantly surprised and captivated by how clever and funny it was. Satire on sensationalist journalism disguised as an almost slasher-flick styled thriller about killer plants? Um, yes please.

Seriously, that's what I think the movie is about. The characters say the word "terrorism" so often that it cannot be ignored. Just what are terrorists, what is terrorism? Nothing you can physically comprehend. Perhaps the best example is Global Warming, given the ridiculous (though admittedly genius) marketing scheme that is the "green" movement and the (also genius) antagonists that are killer plants -- but this is really just a placeholder. Fill in the blank with any case of invisible evil deemed apocalyptic by experts.

More importantly is what these candidates have in common: the current mass media business market that unhealthily and unnecessarily uses scare tactics for nothing more than to increase ratings; to increase the audience. Who is most affected by the plants' deadly toxins? Large populations, naturally. I kept waiting for a character totally cut off from society and entirely lacking in knowledge of the epidemic. I got more than I bargained for: not only is there such a character (living quietly and inconsequentially in the country, surrounded by plants and trees at that), but there is also a faceless hillbilly who blows away two kids (one in the face!) with his boomstick, mistakenly thinking they are infected. Fear the plants. Fear them.
Sponsored Links
By Rin on 02-04-2010, 02:59 AM
I thought about watching this when I first heard of it. Of course, no one else I knew wanted to watch it, so I never got to. I should check it out. Great review, like always.
By AlloftheAbove on 02-04-2010, 04:01 AM
I never even considered watching this movie, but if da Beef likes it, it must be good.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
It had bad acting, and I got so sick of the cheesieness, that I never finished it.

Bad movie, good review.
By da Beef on 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
It had bad acting, and I got so sick of the cheesieness, that I never finished it.

Bad movie, good review.
i obviously disagree. the acting was so funny. i mean the part where Mark Whalberg talks to a plastic plant? hilarious

maybe they weren't going for the tongue in cheek thing, but that's how i took it
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I agree, parts were so horribly bad, that they were funny, but that's a bad sign. Like when that cop is freaking out and saying "Cheese and Crackers"... wth, would someone seriously say that when they're mad and worried. That was funny.
By Rin on 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Lol, that sounds hilarious actually.
By da Beef on 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
I agree, parts were so horribly bad, that they were funny, but that's a bad sign. Like when that cop is freaking out and saying "Cheese and Crackers"... wth, would someone seriously say that when they're mad and worried. That was funny.
i really think you are misinterpreting the film's tone. this wasn't a case of so bad it's good, like an old Ed Wood movie. this was more a case of Big Trouble In Little China, where it's disguised as being so bad it's good, but is in fact that way by design, and thus brilliant
By Pokeman on 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM
do the plants

kill
By da Beef on 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
do the plants

kill
you bet your ficus
Closed Review