Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart 64
What fond memories. - Cam3ron36
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
02-11-2010
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 80%
Sm Mario Mario Kart 64

Mario Kart 64

Cam3ron36

Ever heard of a great racing game? A game that gave you good memories, and happy days, well, this is one of them.

Mario Kart 64 is relatively well known to people, it was quite often one of the first N64 games people play, as it was very often, boxed in with N64 consoles. I would say itís one of those games people automatically think of when they think of the N64. For one simple reason; it was popular.

Nintendo was in their golden days of game design back when this was made. They had managed to take a decent racer on the super Nintendo, and take it to all new heights with Mario kart 64. Just coming to play this game after playing Super Mario Kart is astounding, and yes. The graphics are one thing you are going to take note of here, they arenít great, but they do allow for twistier, topsy-turvy mayhem with more in depth action and some up-and-down hills. One thing you notice when you play an old racer, compared to a new racer, you can just tell the difference, even when the older racers do have the hill-like environments. Itís just a bit crisper and nicer to see this game on the N64, I enjoy it anyways. One thing I do have to complain about in the graphics department; is the characters just lookÖ weird, I donít know what it is about it, but it looks awkward. Anyways, the graphics are a nice touch, but they donít really make a difference on the game play itself.

That is the Snes mario kart, it was a great game, hell, it's mario kart. The graphics or worse, but the coins were not in MK64 which kinda sucks...

Mario Kart 64 is amazingly fun; one thing that probably was a disappointment to people is the lack of unlockables, and the lack of as many tracks. I mean, just think, SMK on the Snes had like 4-7 tracks per cup. That being said, it doesnít affect the game much, it still has its redeeming factors, because what you donít get in the Snes version is the more lengthened levels, I mean think, each SMK level had to have 5 laps per level, because of the shortness in all of them. So, not too much to complain about there, Iím fine with the amount of levels in the game, some like Yoshiís level are just wild and fun, if you take one gander at Yoshiís level, it is just a brigade of obstructions and alternate routes. It makes for a fun mix-and-match sort of scenario, I donít know about everyone else, but that was a fun level. It was especially enjoyable to just watch every newbie to the game (my friends) fail constantly by falling off the track all of the time.
As for my unlockables comment, I honestly donít mind, I mean, I always rented this game throughout my whole life, so I just assumed the Crown-cup was already unlocked by previous renters of the cartridge. But when I got it on the VC, it was there immediately. It was confusing since most of the other Mario kart games; I have to beat Star-cup on 100cc to unlock the crown cup, anyways. There is nothing to unlock in Mario Kart 64, but that is what Iím saying. I usually cheat in a racing game to unlock everything, because I just want to race. Thatís just me, others might not agree, I personally pick up that pick-it-up and play factor that you are presented with Mario Kart 64.

The best way to play Mario Kart 64 is with a friend, or a family member. My bros and I spent countless hours on this game, with my one brother it was the races and the GP. With my other brother, it was always battles, especially Block tower; Iíd say that I played battle mode more. Yeah, one brother didnít like the racing part, so my other brother and I would just play battle mode with him since we enjoyed all of the Mario Kart 64 essence. No one really cares about my life really, so Iíll get to more of my review here: The battle mode was a definitive factor of the game for me, I mean, the Race tracks sort of wear on you to the point where you canít play them anymore, at least for a while, but the battles are great if you have a buddy or buddies to play with. There are several levels in battle mode, some that have been in the newer Mario Kart games, but only one really stands out. That would be Block Tower; itís basically just 4 towers that you battle it out on, eventually though, you just donít want to fall to the bottom, because if you do. All of those green turtle shells that you and your friends shot without hitting anyone will be waiting to destroy you. You really donít want to fall lol. Only 3 hits are allowed, and you might only have one leftÖ Ugh, bad memories.

The sound is just, ok. I mean, it measures up well to the game, but nothing special, at least to me.

Fun Fact: They also put this level in F-zero X.

Overall, Iíd say that Mario Kart 64 is a great game, it is fun. Yeah, it has GP racing, time trials and battle mode, but to play battle mode, you need a friend. Otherwise, you canít play. So the game wears on you easily, it is nice to have if you just want to come back and play some classic races. It is classic, it is great, but it gets boring quickly. One of those games that you just have to take breaks from, so there you have it; Mario Kart 64, and comments are certainly welcome.

Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 80%
bump, it annoys me how these never show up as new posts... Anyways, comment away!
By Pokeman on 02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
It was alright
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 80%
the review, or the game?
By Pokeman on 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
o.o I ment good, idk why I said alright

and i was talking about the game
By Rin on 02-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Probably both.

The game was fun, and the review showed that much. GJ.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 80%
thanks, not expecting too much good feedback, this was just a quick review to tide everyone over until I can think up a good idea for a review.
By Rin on 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
You don't have to rush out anything. Waiting for a good one is better than reading 3 mediocre ones.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 80%
yeah, but I'll be gone for like 4-6 months straight, so I'll put out this while I continue to work on my big one.
By Rin on 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
6 months?!

Good lord man. Well...just work on them all at once, and release them all at once, so that we'll have enough to tie us over until whenever.
Comment