Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Characters

Notices

Nintendo Characters Talk about any of your favorite Nintendo characters.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Kooky von Koopa
Go away
Points: 725, Level: 14 Points: 725, Level: 14 Points: 725, Level: 14

My Mood: In Love
Kooky von Koopa is on a distinguished road

Friend Codes
Exclamation The one about Bowser Jr.

I just readed this and is interesting:

Ah, Bowser Jr. When he first surfaced in Super Mario Sunshine, he was met with so much hate from the fanbase. But the bile gradually declined, and I see more and more people saying he's kind of cool, or otherwise explaining how he's grown on them. Now, I do not endorse embracing fanboyish rage or anything, but I would just like to calmly explain WHY I, as an old-time Mario fan, find Bowser Jr. extremely unappealing. I may be preaching to the choir here, but hopefully there's a couple Jr. fans surfing the Net so we can get some interesting discussion out of this.

Jr.'s first offense: adding to the Baby Bowser/Koopa Kid mess.

Gamers were introduced to Baby Bowser, as well as the Baby Mario Bros, in 1995's Yoshi's Island. Here, it's perfectly clear why they're babies: the game takes place in the past. But lingering on Yoshi's Island too long has reduced me to feverish praise and drooling, incoherent rants in the past, so let's move on. We can assume the same is true in Yoshi's Story, though they're really not explicit about that, and as it is a new generation of Yoshies, with no sign of Baby Mario, this COULD theoretically be a Bowser Jr. appearance. But seeing as it's a sequel to Island (as much as Nintendo tries to deny that now), I doubt it.

Then the Mario Party series really starts messin' things up by introducing a different Baby Bowser: apparently one of many identical tykes that co-exist with the adult Bowser. They do not explicitly refer to them as Bowser's son, and particular items can transform them into Bowser. Baby Mario ignored the small paradox of being the same person as his adult self in Mario Golf, so was Bowser doing that here? Or are these just members of a class of minions with a very disturbing fixation on their boss? Given the fact that half the Mario Parties end up being a play or something anyway (I quit when the series left the 64, so I don't know how later installments are framed), I don't think it really matters. The Cube era helped a little by rebranding them "Koopa Kids" and assigning multiple versions individual colors, which seemed to point to the "unhealthily obsessed minion" category. Aside from showcasing some incredible laziness in character design, Koopa Kid is now free of this mess.

Then along comes Bowser Jr. While Sunshine makes his father/son relationship with Bowser explicitly clear, a lot of people didn't play Sunshine. Thus, seeing him alongside Baby Mario and Baby Luigi (and Peach, and Daisy, and who knows who else in the future) in various sports games, they assume Bowser is doing the whole time-warp thing as well.

Then Alphadream, of all companies, contributes to this tangle by redesigning Baby Bowser (Bowser as a kid, from the past) to look and sound identical to Jr! Argh!

For sorting-out purposes:

Baby Bowser (Yoshi's Island series, Partners in Time): Bowser as a baby
Koopa Kid (formerly Baby Bowser, Mario Party series): palette-swapped sickos
Bowser Jr. (Mario Sunshine, every Mario sports game since): Bowser's son
Koopalings (aka Koopa Kids, but not the Party ones. Nothing in this decade aside from Superstar Saga): Bowser's OTHER kids

Second offense: upstaging the Koopalings

This seems to be the hardest one for newer fans to understand. And honestly, SMB2 and Yoshi's Island have much cooler bosses than the games the Koopalings featured in. But it's just the fact that the Koopalings were seven of eight bosses in both Super Mario Bros. 3 AND Super Mario World. Aside from the wondrous Yoshi's Island, those are my personal "big guns" of the Mario series. Being an icon in either one makes you immortal (hence why we remember Kuribo's Shoe to this day), but both? That is a seriously impressive resume.

Which would make you think they'd have an easier time finding work afterward. They snapped up some roles in Yoshi's Safari and Mario is Missing, but then dropped completely off the map. And when Bowser Jr. appeared in Sunshine, I just had this feeling: Bowser had disowned his first batch of kids.

Alphadream gets credit for bringing them back for one last hurrah in the original Mario & Luigi, but non-speaking mini-boss roles is hardly satisfying for the star villains of the 2nd and 3rd best Mario games of all time. Now, to be fair, the Koopalings had been absent nearly ten years by the time Bowser Jr. even showed up, but he, along with the multiple "Koopa Kids" of Mario Party, just rubbed it in our faces that Nintendo never intends for them to amount to anything again.

I'm not gonna pretend they had personality- any hint of characterization fans attribute to them comes from the cartoons. And even their fighting styles were derivative of each other's. But even so, in the late 80s/early 90s, Nintendo comes up with seven children of Bowser, each looking different from the rest and their father, and come up with four unique fighting styles between them (in each game). Quite the step up from SMB and Lost Levels, and considerably superior to Mario Party's palette swaps and Bowser Jr.'s status as a clone of his father's baby self. Mario Party's dismissable, but you have ONE major villain to introduce in the GameCube's only Mario platformer, and you can't even come near the effort put into an 8-bit game as old as I am? That's not even a matter of preferring the Koopalings, Bowser Jr. just epitomizes lazy character design.

But aside from his lackluster roots, I can kind of understand him being chosen over his much older siblings for the various sports games: as a developer, you could only fit a Koopaling or two in (because you've gotta make room for Baby Peach and Baby Wario and Baby Petey and Baby King Boo), and it would probably be unnecessarily divisive of the old-school fans to reject their favorite. Well, I don't think that'd be quite as bad as alienating ALL the old-school fans with a character that serves THE EXACT SAME PURPOSE in a more generic way, but still, this is passable.

But let's look at New Super Mario Bros. As anyone who played it, or even looked into the game post-release, would know, the game draws just as much from SMB3, SMW, and even SM64 as it does from SMB1. So, foolishly, I got my hopes up for Koopalings. I was also psyched for Yoshi, but that was quashed early on by an interview declaring Yoshi was too recent and "doesn't fit." I do have to call total BS on a game with Red Coins, Unagi the Eel and Petey Pirahna rejecting one of the primary elements of 1991's Super Mario World, but that's neither here nor there. More to the point, as anyone who's played it knows, there are no Koopalings in NSMB. Rather, Bowser Jr. takes a decisive role. And the "only one character slot" excuse isn't gonna fly here: you face Bowser Jr. no less than TEN TIMES in NSMB. And the battles have exactly one variation: later ones force you to throw a shell at him in order to topple him.

So in this game that is way too old-school for Yoshi (that guy's from the NINETIES!) we pass up the villains of SMB3 (1988) in favor of the one from Sunshine (2002)? And NSMB even takes away the "you're just being nostalgic" guilt from my argument, because from every objective sense, the Koopaling boss battles (in SMB3 OR SMW) are superior to the Bowser Jr. ones. Any thoughts that they were cutting corners when they reused 3 fighting styles in both of those games were purged when I realized Bowser Jr. couldn't even offer that many in NSMB.

Galaxy is less offensive objectively, because there's once again only need for one minion, but it does unnecessarily oppose my nostalgic self. Seeing Bowser Jr. riding an airship, battling your way across a fleet to do battle with him and a posse of Magikoopas and Koopa Troopas, and picturing Ludwig or Wendy in that spot...somewhere inside me, a five-year-old boy is crying.

To me, this really comes down to a personal quibble I have with all forms of fiction: change for the sake of change. More particularly: look at the NEW character, and watch how we explicitly demonstrate his COOLNESS at the expense of the old one (who fulfilled a completely identical purpose). The Mario series is guilty of this in a few cases, but this is the one that hits home for me.

Do I look like a freak?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I'm going to be completely honest, but I actually liked Bowser Jr, and he was one of my favorite characters in Sunshine, and I never followed the Super Mario story(thus I didn't know that the Kooplings in SMW were Bowsers children at the time)much soooo......

Last edited by Megas75; 02-22-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Alice
Princess of NFF~
Points: 32,423, Level: 100 Points: 32,423, Level: 100 Points: 32,423, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
the koopalings are better
Bowser Jr. i do not like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 22,921, Level: 93 Points: 22,921, Level: 93 Points: 22,921, Level: 93
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 37

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Why all the hate? It's just a character. I don't know why people get so upset about this kind of thing.
This entire issue was taken care of in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Mikematute
Zombie Prosecutor
Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce

My Mood: Gaming
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Review of the Month Poster 
Total Awards: 4

i'm not going to read all of that but what i can say is that he sucks and he sucks even more by beeing bowser's favorite son. i think even iggy could be his favorite but not him.

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK I AM
Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Kooky von Koopa
Go away

Friend Codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikematute View Post
i'm not going to read all of that but what i can say is that he sucks and he sucks even more by beeing bowser's favorite son. i think even iggy could be his favorite but not him.
I all but comepletely agree with you matute.

Do I look like a freak?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,456, Level: 75 Points: 13,456, Level: 75 Points: 13,456, Level: 75

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
too many koopaling fanboys

Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Kooky von Koopa
Go away

Friend Codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
too many koopaling fanboys
Bowser Jr. fanboy

Do I look like a freak?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Supersonic
Supersonic crushes
Points: 147, Level: 2 Points: 147, Level: 2 Points: 147, Level: 2
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 2x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Bomb
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Happy
Supersonic is an unknown quantity at this point

Friend Codes
bowser jr is awsome i wounder if he can take over the world?

^^ if you like meh sig go to www.signaturebar.com for more cool sigs =p
Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
Alice
Princess of NFF~
Points: 32,423, Level: 100 Points: 32,423, Level: 100 Points: 32,423, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic19 View Post
bowser jr is awsome i wounder if he can take over the world?
that's reserved for Lemmy or ludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Closed Thread

Tags
bowser jr