Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario Galaxy Review
Super Mario Galaxy Review
by Brandyn Johnson
Published by Brandyn
02-27-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Sm Mario Super Mario Galaxy Review

Super Mario. I could reminisce about my childhood years spent on the games, from Super Mario All-Stars to Super Mario World to 64, but you didnít come here to have me drone on like an old man about my childhood. When it comes to the Mario games, I view Super Mario 64 the same way that most Legend of Zelda fans view Ocarina of Time; as the best [3D] game in the series and none will ever beat it. (The 3D Mario games, my favorite Mario game ever will still always be World.) However, as I had mushrooms and flew through space (no I wasnít high), I could not help but be amazed. I had finally found the game truly worthy of being a successor to the great Super Mario 64. I donít really have anything against Sunshine, but it wasÖ.alright compared to SM64.

Storyline: Mario is on his way to the star festival to visit Peach, when suddenly, King Koopa himself crashes the party(didn't see that one coming). He whisks Marioís fair lady away and the plumber has to chase after her. After a sequence involving lots of stunts and effects, our red clad hero meets the Princess Rosalina. From then on your objective is to collect Stars to restore power to Rosalinaís space station to make it mobile again. So the foundation of the story is the same as in the other games, but this story is a little deeper and overall pretty cool.

Graphics: Super Mario Galaxy sports some very detailed graphics. The colors are amazing and the characters and environments are very richly textured. Itís graphically one of the most impressive titles you will find on the Wii.

Gameplay: The goal of the game plays just like it does in Super Mario 64 and Sunshine essentially; you have the over world, and the sub worlds. You get in, you grab some stars, you get out. At leastÖ.that is the bare bones of it.

I actually have a confession to make, though. While I was playing this game, half of me tried to hate it, and the other half was telling that half to shut up. I guess the little boy in me refused to let go of Super Mario 64, but you know what? I had to. Super Mario 64 will always be a masterpiece in the 3D platforming genre, as well as the original, but it was outshined by Galaxy. The whole outer space and flying through Galaxies concept is kickass, for a Mario game. At least, this is all my personal opinion, but I would like to hear some Mario fans agree. Someone actually brought a good point to my attention: ďbut this game is just like 64. You have the same goal.Ē Yes it may seem like that, but #1 I donít think thatís a bad thing, and #2 there is just so much more depth to it than that. I mean, not a whole lot but there is. We have some new powerups, some are really cool. I like Boo Mario and Ice Mario. However Fire Mario is timed (how dumb is that?). Thereís Bee MarioÖ.Spring Mario, and some others but I wonít babble on about all whatís in the game. You just have to play it. What is awesome is that after collecting all stars however, you can play as the lean mean green machine Luigi, for the first time in a 3D plat forming Mario adventure. And you have to admit, the Lumas are adorable.

Playing this game, I went through sort of a change. It was like I was letting go of my past (with video games) and moving on towards the future in a way. I know that sounds so cheesy, but I don't know how else to put it. It is truly a Mario experience like never before, not the typical Mario game. There is an emotion behind it, like a story within the game's story. An emotion that grabbed me, and really truly put me in the world of Mario. And no I'm not stoned or drunk, I am really saying this.
I only had two primary issues here: the camera and controls at times. Most of the time, both of these were fine but sometimes the camera would not stay focused on me which led to a couple deaths. Also the camera at times fails to give you a helpful depth perception, which may cause you to misjudge the distance of some platforms and get poor Mario killed. I also found myself wrestling with the controls at times. In levels such as Bowserís Dark Matter Reactor, you have it to where there is a contant change in the direction of gravity, which equals a change in the controls. Up becomes down, and so on. It can get confusing to abruptly change direction. Also, when you are running around on a planet that is tiny, the same rules apply where directions change, and to me it was confusing and a pain.
Another issue with the controls I found was during certain minigames like Manta Ray Surfing and Ball Rolling. Not fun, letís just say I suffered a lot of deaths. I wish you would have been allowed to use the freaking control stick but no.
Also the attack. Sometimes when I would do my cute little Crash Bandicoot-esque spin attack, I did not like having to wait for it to recharge. I know this sounds like a really petty nitpick, because you only have to wait about 1-2 good seconds, but sometimes that little window was an opportunity of attack if I was surrounded by enemies, and it tended to get me killed a couple times, which is why I am criticizing it. Also, the Attack command would sometimes not respond when I jerked the Wii mote, which goes back into the slight control issue.
Also, the main game is surprisingly short. You really do not need very many stars in order to reach the Bowser, and collecting them takes shorter than you would think. I finished the game in less than a week. You can go back and collect the remaining stars, but I personally never felt like doing that unless I was bored. However, the main motivation for it this time around is to unlock Luigi, so go for it if you want.

Sound: The music in this game is fantastic. But, Nintendo always has great music in its games. The music in this game is enchanting, with the lobby music sounding like something youíd hear from a Disney Princess Storybook. However, it didnít really sound like Mario music; it sounded like something much more epic at times. You have some cool sound effects like the famous Power Up sound, and my favorite, the Invincibility song.

Overall: This game is amazing all the way around. Now that he has entered multiple Galaxies, what is next for the mustachioed Italian wonder? I wait with bated breath (yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2.)

Iím going to do something a little new here. Instead of grading the game in every department for an average score, I am going to take everything into account and give it one overall score. That said, this game, I think, deserves a score of 9/10 with an A-.
To recap: Camera was antagonistic at times
-Controls could be a pain at times for me as well
-Slight delay in attack
-and the main game is short (to me anyway).
Published by
The Gentleman
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn
Sponsored Links
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Graphics: Super Mario Galaxy sports some very detailed graphics. The colors are amazing and the characters and environments are very richly textured. Itís graphically one of the most impressive titles you will find on the Wii.
remove bolded area. just talk about graphics or story, whatever. Don't tell us what's going to be talked about. We've told you about this, make it look more like an essay, not a Statistics article, or something you write in notes...

Quote:
To recap: Camera was antagonistic at times
-Controls could be a pain at times for me as well
-Slight delay in attack
-and the main game is short (to me anyway).
Okay, this was actually a good idea. The recap is nice, but again. The formatting is looking more like jot notes that you'd make for studying. Instead of writing it like that. try something more fluent and written in paragraph form, that should go for the entire review. It seems like something I'd do with study notes for school.

That is just the overlook before i actually read it, I noticed that and that is something that we have notified you to get rid of.
I have this weird issue with my PC where it make a certain font display gigantic when it is used, no matter what size it is supposed to be. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but if your font really is that size, then down size it.
Oh, one more lnitpicking thing is center the pictures for better outlook.

Moving on, You did a good job for once. Not excellent, but your work has most DEFINITELY excelled from before. The personal experiences and honest opinions, and thoughts that you put in are part as anylizing well. Good job in that area, it's quite interesting, but not always attention-grabbing.

One last thing is that to look more like a journalistic review or an "essay-format" review, abbreviations like 'WTF' and 'IDK' should not be part of a review by any means, find other outlets. Ones that would make more sense to an audience.

Quote:
What is awesome is that after collecting all stars however, you can play as the lean mean green machine Luigi, for the first time in a 3D plat forming Mario adventure.
*Coughs* ... Super Mario 64 DS... *Cough* *Cough*

Quote:
If the hedgehog saw it, he would crap himself. Even he canít run away from this one.
Nintendo has everyone fooled on this one, they stole the idea from sonic. Sonic WAS going to use this idea for Sonic X-Treme, and it was almost complete. They had the spherical-world atmosphere long before mario. Did you not read my review explaining this? I was able to attempt at reviewing it since I was able to play the beta that was finally released 5 years ago...

Facts KG... get them right, you don't want to mis-lead your audience.
By Brandyn on 02-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
remove bolded area. just talk about graphics or story, whatever. Don't tell us what's going to be talked about. We've told you about this, make it look more like an essay, not a Statistics article, or something you write in notes...

Okay, this was actually a good idea. The recap is nice, but again. The formatting is looking more like jot notes that you'd make for studying. Instead of writing it like that. try something more fluent and written in paragraph form, that should go for the entire review. It seems like something I'd do with study notes for school.

That is just the overlook before i actually read it, I noticed that and that is something that we have notified you to get rid of.
I have this weird issue with my PC where it make a certain font display gigantic when it is used, no matter what size it is supposed to be. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but if your font really is that size, then down size it.
Oh, one more lnitpicking thing is center the pictures for better outlook.

Moving on, You did a good job for once. Not excellent, but your work has most DEFINITELY excelled from before. The personal experiences and honest opinions, and thoughts that you put in are part as anylizing well. Good job in that area, it's quite interesting, but not always attention-grabbing.

One last thing is that to look more like a journalistic review or an "essay-format" review, abbreviations like 'WTF' and 'IDK' should not be part of a review by any means, find other outlets. Ones that would make more sense to an audience.

*Coughs* ... Super Mario 64 DS... *Cough* *Cough*

Nintendo has everyone fooled on this one, they stole the idea from sonic. Sonic WAS going to use this idea for Sonic X-Treme, and it was almost complete. They had the spherical-world atmosphere long before mario. Did you not read my review explaining this? I was able to attempt at reviewing it since I was able to play the beta that was finally released 5 years ago...

Facts KG... get them right, you don't want to mis-lead your audience.

Thanks, except I did not mention anything about Sonic using this idea first, and I meant if you compared the awesomeness of this game to the new Sonic games, that's how he would react..so I didn't give out any mis-leading facts. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to say that. To tell the truth, for this review I actually did write a rough draft first. I must admit that did help.
By Holysnap on 02-28-2010, 05:06 AM
This is without a doubt a major improvement over your previous reviews, you're really starting to understand reviewing games.

things to work on - your writing style to me is quite immature. Try to make your paragraphs, and even sentences flow better into each other and also cut the needless information such as 'i think rosalina is way hotter than peach'
By da Beef on 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysnap View Post
This is without a doubt a major improvement over your previous reviews, you're really starting to understand reviewing games.

things to work on - your writing style to me is quite immature. Try to make your paragraphs, and even sentences flow better into each other and also cut the needless information such as 'i think rosalina is way hotter than peach'

my thoughts exactly
By Brandyn on 02-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysnap View Post

Hm, I see. I do these things to make my reviews "not boring." I don't know, to spice them up and add personality.
By Whiskermush on 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
I actually have a confession to make, though. While I was playing this game, half of me tried to hate it, and the other half was telling that half to shut the **** up.
Avoid using this language, especially when it is filtered. Also, these types of feelings are best left out of the review. It makes your review entirely more professional.

Other language to avoid: WTF, IDK, Filtered Words, other internet slang

Other than that, your improving greatly. Keep it up and follow the advice that Cameron, Snap, and Beef have given you.
By da Beef on 02-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
Hm, I see. I do these things to make my reviews "not boring." I don't know, to spice them up and add personality.

i know, i get what you're going for, but the first sentence (and all of your "spicing up") of the review is totally useless. you even negate it entirely by saying "you didn't come here to hear me rant like an old man." you're right, we didn't

so get rid of those catchy one-liners. if you need them to make your writing interesting, then you aren't a very good writer now are you?
By Keyman4 on 02-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Good one I got this game from my cousin is not as fun as I thought it would be but cool overall....
By Brandyn on 02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskermush View Post
Avoid using this language, especially when it is filtered. Also, these types of feelings are best left out of the review. It makes your review entirely more professional.

Other language to avoid: WTF, IDK, Filtered Words, other internet slang

Other than that, your improving greatly. Keep it up and follow the advice that Cameron, Snap, and Beef have given you.
Oh, I'm sorry, then.

Alright, I just edited that and trimmed some of the fat out of this review.

@ Beef, good point.

@ keyman4, thanks for sharing!
Comment

Tags
outer space, reviews, super mario galaxy, wii