Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Day of Reckoning
Day of Reckoning
Never, have I been so immersed into a gameÖ - Cam3ron36
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
02-28-2010
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 91%
Day of Reckoning

Day of Reckoning

Cam3ron36

Never, have I been so immersed into a gameÖ

Masterpiece, which is simply the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this game, it is a defining game of my child hood, as well as it is today. There have been many, many wresting games. But this one stands out amongst the crowd. Not being a fan of wresting, I still love this game.

The first thing that I must say that captures the fun more than any other game of its kind is the music. Yeah, music plays a way bigger role than you think in games and never have I been so immersed into a masterpiece of a game like I have with this one. This game gets you so pumped to play it that it just does not stop being fun, while the music isnít great; it perfectly executes the genre and implements what type of game that you are playing: An extreme arcade-style, beat-em-up, high action brawler. The music, I can only sum up this way; it simply enhances the experience in a major way. This is what every other wrestling game that Iíve tried is they decide to go and make it realisticÖ No! I want fun, not realism and since when is wrestling real anyways? What Iím saying is the audio is just Horrid in all of the other wrestling games. I donít want bland audience cheers and annoying announcers saying the same thing every match, I can say the same thing for all sports games. This isnít real life; I donít need to be told by a fake announcer what Iím doing in the game. I know what Iím doing; Iím the one controlling the characters. I am serious, this plays an absolute huge role for me in these sports games, and I want music. Not colorless, emotionless arena noisesÖ It just drives me mad when I have to play a sports game, so it is nice to finally see one implement pure music. Sure, you still get the sound effects of weapons and the audience. But thank god there is no announcing. Let me give you a sample of what itís like, and you will notice that the music perfectly suits the game. It's not great, but it's good for the game.

I have spent like half an hour looking for a gameplay video, most are from the sequel. I don't know what to say, I can show the music, that's it. (thanks to instruction manual for showing me the names of the songs).

Now that I have that out of the way, I will bring up the mechanics of the game. The controls for this game are excellent, it is awesome. The general consensus of it all is generally that the ĎBí button uses striking moves, while the ĎAí button always controls the grappling moves. Itís simple and easy, it is also customizable on what moves you use by which of the 4 direction you hit the ĎAí button, and where the opponent is facing whether he/she is facing backwards standing, forwards standing, on the ground upwards, if your near his/her limbs, or his/her head, etc. This only applies to the ĎAí button; the ĎBí button is always just a strike of some sort. Without getting into a long drawn out explanation about all of the different type of move combinations based on where you are whatever. It would take too long. Only other thing to mention is the person being attacked can block or even counter grapples by using the ĎRí button, ĎLí for blocking strikes. Itís all quite simple and very user-friendly.
This brings me to the next segment. Creating a character, something I always enjoy, the ďcreate aĒ modes, whether it be a map in time splitters, a car in a racing game. It is always a great feature, itís letting the player design part of the game and that is really cool. Itís just as intricate as setting the move set for your player takes forever; there are literally hundreds of options for each type of move. It takes forever, and it is based off how you set your characters height, and skills and all of this other stuff. It takes forever, but you will be benefitted in the end for being able to make everything totally customizable and having attacks that suit you. Itís great, it takes a pain-staking amount of time, but itís well worth it.

Next, the game modes, I will say that itís as simple as this; story, and free mode. Story mode is what shapes the game, itís long, fun and I enjoy it. Only problem that I really have with it is that it plays the story for you. The only choice you ever get is whether you go to Smack Down or Raw (the two WWE shows). Other than that you have to win everything, pretty much. There will be times that you simply arenít allowed to win, and that is a total middle finger to the player. Near the end, you are in a fatal-four-way match (four people in one match). This is a real annoying thing, because by this point. You are at the Expert difficulty, in which it is hard to face one guy. It is literally impossible to win at this (and not just because it is impossible to win). I mean, a match like this, you have to get all three guys down at once, and pin one of them. This is incredibly annoying; they are all out to get you. So, I play it safe, try and get them to wear each other down, while I take on one guy and beat the crap out of him. I finally after maybe an hour build up three specials. These specials are meant to destroy your opponent and are built up by various different things. So here I go, I special move them all, if Iím lucky enough to have one of them not counter. Now, they are all down. So I go to pin one of them, and one stands back up and kicks you out of the pinÖ Another hour a later, I finally get the same opportunity; I go to pin the guy, get to two in pin count. The game cuts out and runs itself making you lose. This was a major, major annoyance. Yet I canít lose normally, and Iíve always got to keep watch to make sure one of these guys donít pin another guy. Or I start over, no. I have to just about win and have the game cut out to show me get screwed and lose. This is getting out of hand, and Iíd just like to point out this one fault in the story mode. Other than that, itís great, and interesting.

Free mode gives you a basic choice of the entire match mode and gives you a full way to customize certain things of the match. Plus, there are matches like the Ladder match, or the Cage match that can be really fun. I especially enjoy the Ďhell in a cellí match, where you basically can smash your opponent through the wall of the cage. Then you can climb to the top of the monstrous cage. You can weaken your opponent enough to throw them off the cage. Or, you can throw them right through the top of the cage with time and have them plummet to the ring. My favourite is attacking the referee. After ages of attacking him, he finally gets ticked and starts fighting back.

I suppose the graphics are descent, definitely good by GameCube standards. Itís really cartoony compared to Smack down vs. Raw. Like I have said before though, graphics donít make a game, and this is the best wrestling game ever. At least in my opinion.

To Conclude, it really is a gem. I love it, I don't watch wrestling, but my brothers and I never get tired of beating the crap out of each other.

For reading, all comments welcome. Sorry for the lack of videos...
~ Cam
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 02-28-2010, 05:22 PM
i like this review, because it highlights a relatively unknown game that you have a personal history with. however, you repeat yourself A LOT here. for instance:

Quote:
Never, have I been so immersed into a gameÖ
Masterpiece, which is simply the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this game, it is a defining game of my child hood, as well as it is today. There have been many, many wresting games. But this one stands out amongst the crowd. Not being a fan of wresting, I still love this game.

The first thing that I must say that captures the fun more than any other game of its kind is the music. Yeah, music plays a way bigger role than you think in games and never have I been so immersed into a masterpiece of a game like I have with this one.

within the few sentences you say the same thing twice. and you're still laying on hyperbole pretty thick. do you know what im getting at when i say that? words like "masterpiece" can never be said lightly, and you say it quite a few times in this review. i would be against using it so early in the review (which you have also done in the past, and ive pointed out), but here it actually works, because it turns out you are talking about a wrestling game of all things. got me interested

anyway, you mostly need to work on word variety. you say "simply" like 5 times in the first paragraph. are you reading these out loud to yourself, or having them read to you? that really helps with syntax

anyway, good job. this was a pretty good one, and made me interested in this game, which is all any reviewer can ever hope to do
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 91%
Like a book, I usually pick a defining quote as an attention grabber before I actually start reviewing it. The little quote there was messed up in translation. Normally, it, as well as the title are bigger, so that you can tell them apart. I fixed that though.

Yeah, 'Simply' was said quite a bit. I really wish I could find a gameplay video, but every time I search it, Day of Reckoning 2 videos come up... I would have done a review of both, but I have not beaten story in DOR 2.
By Brandyn on 02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice review, Cam.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 02-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 91%
Thanks, KG.
By da Beef on 03-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
Like a book, I usually pick a defining quote as an attention grabber before I actually start reviewing it. The little quote there was messed up in translation. Normally, it, as well as the title are bigger, so that you can tell them apart. I fixed that though.
this doesn't change the fact that you repeat yourself and your sentences lack variety
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 03-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 91%
okay, I'll try to come back to this tomorrow. I was just pointing out that the title & quote were the wrong size.
By marvman3 on 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Cool

I always thought and felt that Day of Reckoning 2 was the better version
of this GCN Wrestling series.

It had a better story/career mode, and had a lil more creation options.

And graphically, looked better.

I remember playing these 2 titles (DoR 1 & DoR 2),
with my cousins and friends, and we'd have a wrestling tourney
and like leaderboards and ladders and stuff,
even though there were no tourney options in the games,
we'd make one. And like, we'd mix and match different
wrestling matches (TLC match, Cage Match, Hell in a Cell, Singe Match w/ tap outs only) from picking them out of a hat! LOL, it was fun.
Being creative with the matches and match types.
Ever match was grueling and difficult, cause we were all
experts in the grapples and fake grapples, and how to "psych out"
the opponent by screaming and yelling that a pin's about to be coming.

LMAO. Ah, those were the Day of Reckoning days.....

These 2 games were the best,
and I had fun creating and putting the WCW and TNA wrestlers
in there. Even created my own fictional character, Living Legend.
Who could fly and jump higher than anybody, and had mohawk hair.
LOL.

Rockn.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 91%
I didn't like DOR 2 as much since now your character can get tired way too easily. On top of that, I never got past the 4-person Steel cage match. Either someone got back up and knocked me down, or my guy got too tired and jumped down...
By Brassica Prime on 04-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Your vocabulary needs to be expanded. Seriously, needs to be expanded. I see many words several times over

Formatting could be better. Once again presentation was average. Could be more structured, but don't go into a multi-colored mess. I'm viewing this on the Wii skin so I may be wrong, but gray just looks un-appealing. Get a strong black color for text.

Overall, you're getting the hang of it. Context and history, people like stories! I know this is much harder with a more obscure game (which is better than reviewing Brawl or Super Mario 64 for the 1,000th time, don't get me wrong) but it just helps get the "full package". This is just my personal taste
Comment