Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Monster Hunter 3 DEMO preview
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-08-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

This is not so much a review as a preview. I recently reserved my copy of Monster Hunter 3(or Monster Hunter Tri if you wanna be a prick about it), and received a demo version. As a fan of the original who missed out on the PSP sequels, I was pretty excited when I hear about monster hunter 3. The only info they released for months was a single screen shot, which was very annoying. Just so you know, I am not scoring this "review" at all. This is a prerelease demo, and I feel it would be unfair to rate a game that isn't even out yet.

Graphics
Honestly, not too much of a step up from the first Monster Hunter...it could be because I'm playing on such a big HD tv using only AV cables, but thing's are very jaggy...again, this is a demo version.

The only screen shot we saw for months.

Storyline
Uh...you're a hunter...you kill things....for money....

Controls
When I first popped in the demo, I used the default wiimote/nunchuk controls, and found them to be quite terrible and annoying. I found later however, that I could use a classic controller, and play almost exactly like the first did on PS2. Since this is the control scheme I've been using, I'll go over it real quick. The left stick mvoes you, or course. Like the ps2 Monster Hunter, the right stick controls your weapon, and the direction you press is the direction you swing. The b button is uses to dodge roll, and a to sheath/unsheathe your weapon.y is how you use the selected item. The L button allows you to cycle through your inventory items using the v abd a buttons. the R button is run when your weeapon is sheathed, and guard/special action when it is out. My one complaint is the camera. It is controlled using the D pad and can be very annoying.

Gameplay
Monster Hunter 3's demo version includes 2 quests, a relatively easy one star quest, and a more difficult 3 star quest. Being a bit rusty, I chose the easier of the two first. I've tried several of the weapon classes, including the new switch axe weapon, but I felt the most at home using the sword an shield.After I got used to the controls, iI was slaying like a pro...well, almost. There was a time limit on the mission. Rather this is gonig to be in the final version, or if it was simply a way of limiting play time in the demo, I cannot say for sure.

The easier boss of the 2 available on the demo disc.

I also tried the harder mission, and...well, lets just say that the series isn't getting any easier, and thats a good thing. Thats part of the MH series! Killing that which cannot be killed! if it isn't challenging, you don't get that sense of accomplishment. The original Mpnster hunter is probably the only game that has ever seriously made me give a victory shout...i look forward to doing it again with Monster Hunter 3.

Sound
Each boss has it's own little music that plays in the background while you fight it, and the tougher the monster, the more dramatic the music. Aside from that, the creatures yelp, growl and roar as they always have, and your character doesn't say much aside from grunts and sighs. this is standard fare for the series, though

Overall
I cannot wait for the final version of this to hit shelves. if you're a fan of the series, pick it up when it comes out. if you aren't a fan, maybe you should rent it first, ebcause the game is certainly not for everyone...better yet, put downb 5 bucks on a copy, get a demo, and see if you like it! if you don't, just retract your reservation!
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Megas75 on 03-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the preview man, I've been thinking about getting this game for a while, and it looks and sounds good from the praise from the praise the demo has been getting. My only question is will it also be compatible with the Gamecube controller?
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-09-2010, 01:38 AM
no, but you can use a classic controller, which is what I've been doing.
By AlloftheAbove on 03-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Arg! No GameCube controller compatibility?
I guess nobody was buying the classic controllers.
By DarkLegacy on 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that apart from Freedom Unite the psp games aren't sequels, they are remakes of the Monster Hunter G (Monster Hunter 1 w/ expansion) and Monster Hunter 2. I may be wrong though.
Comment