Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Alice in Wonderland(2010) Review
Alice in Wonderland(2010) Review
Decent film or does it fall down the rabbit hole?
Published by Brandyn
03-10-2010
Author review
Movie Rating
55%55%55%
Average 55%
Exclamation Alice in Wonderland(2010) Review

Alice in Wonderland (2010) Review

Relax your concerns, I am no longer publishing a million reviews a week. I know I just published one film review this week, but I just had to be the first person here to review Alice in Wonderland. So just to clarify, there won’t be a third movie review this week.

Normally, people tend to avoid anything with Tim Burton’s name on it, especially after his remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And yes, that fact scared me as well when I first heard of the film. So did he do it?

The quality of this movie depends heavily on your expectations for it. Many people actually had high expectations for Alice, and if you are one of those people, I am afraid you should really lower them. If not, then you may be pleasantly surprised at the result. I would put this film right in the middle of good and bad. I must admit it did exceed my low expectations, although not by very much.

First of all, this is not a remake of the first Alice in Wonderland book, in case you did not know. In actuality, it is the sequel. A much older Alice returns to Wonderland (or rather “Underland” as Absolem reveals it to really be) and finds it in a state of despair, as she must defeat the Red Queen and slay an evil monster called The Jabberwocky. That is what I do not like about marketing and advertising of movies and games these days; what happened to numbering and/or subtitles?
The acting, for some parts, was not bad. I think that the actress who portrayed Alice did well in the role, and the voice acting for the animated characters was mostly pleasant I shall say. So of course some of you are asking: “How did Johnny Depp perform as the Mad Hatter?” Well, if you didn’t like him as Willy Wonka in Charlie, you might find his portrayal of the Mad Hatter even more repulsing. Personally, I think he did an okay job but…maybe they could have found someone else? Who? I do not know but…he was rather unfitting for the role for some reason. As for Helen Bonham Carter’s portrayal of the Red Queen, I personally thought she did a pretty decent job. Anne Hathaway also did a decent portrayal of the White Queen. Overall, I suppose that all portrayed their respective characters well, and no complaints on the acting, really.

Concerning the CGI, I felt that it was strong at some points and weak in others of this film. I am not one of those graphics lovers who only really cares about CGI of course, but if you are going to have a movie that is full of it, at least do it well to make the flick pleasant to look at, you know? But overall, I suppose it was. At least it doesn’t appear that they half-assed it like in G.I.Joe: Rise of the Cobra.

The screenplay I should say was executed well; unlike Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, there aren’t really any awkward jokes. While the film is supposed to be whimsical and delightful it’s not really a full fledged comedy like it appeared they tried to make Charlie. It contains some riddles and everything we love, and I think that Lewis Carroll (author of the original book) would be satisfied if he were to read the screenplay. The original characters from the books are in it, Absolem, Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, the Mad Hatter, the White Rabbit, and even what appear to be new ones. I did not really read the sequel book however, so I cannot judge how close it stayed.

All in all, Alice in Wonderland is a pretty fun popcorn flick that you go to the movies on Friday or Saturday night to see with friends for fun, but nothing to really be taken seriously. Or most highly, as a film to take kids to if you are babysitting. Again, I would lower my hopes if you have high hopes but it was a bit better than I anticipated, and I was pleasantly surprised. But only a little.

EDIT: okay the reason I knocked the score down is because I did not mean to rate the film that highly. I thought that 7 was mediocre since 7/10 is 70% which is a C-. But since 7 here is considered good, I reduced the score to what I really thought.
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
this was the worst movie ive seen in a long, long time. i didnt even bother to read your review, noticing your score of "7" first. anyone who deigns this film to have any redeeming factors whatsoever i cant help but totally disagree with
By Brandyn on 03-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
this was the worst movie ive seen in a long, long time. i didnt even bother to read your review, noticing your score of "7" first. anyone who deigns this film to have any redeeming factors whatsoever i cant help but totally disagree with
I figured 7 meant mediocre. I never say it's great, it is just okay. I named some redeeming factors but overall it is only decent. I personally would rather watch this than Avatar.
By Pokeman on 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM
5 is average, so 7 is definately not mediocre.
Also, put a picture or something in it.

oh and when you said "this is not a remake of the first Alice in Wonderland" I assume you're talking about Disneys movie, It was not the first. The first Alice in Wonderland movie was made 18 years before Disneys, which was based on a book way before then.
Last edited by Pokeman; 03-10-2010 at 11:04 PM..
By Brandyn on 03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post

oh and when you said "this is not a remake of the first Alice in Wonderland" I assume you're talking about Disneys movie, It was not the first. The first Alice in Wonderland movie was made 18 years before Disneys, which was based on a book way before then.
Yeah I know. No this new one is actually based on the sequel.They just named it like that so it sounded like a remake. What I meant was that it was not a remake of the first book.
By da Beef on 03-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
Yeah I know. No this new one is actually based on the sequel.They just named it like that so it sounded like a remake. What I meant was that it was not a remake of the first book.

this film is not based on "Through the Looking Glass." get your facts straight. again

anyway, this movie blew chunks. Avatar was much better, which only goes to show how shitty Burton has become
By scarymoth on 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM
i can't get over how ugly this movie looks

it's preventing me from giving it a try but i dont even care
By Mario on 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I will not go see this movie. It looks terrible. I'll wait for a better 3D Movie.
By Brandyn on 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Yes I had low expectations and thought the exact same thing. You do not need to see it, but it is mediocre at best, which my opinion of it before I saw it was much less than mediocre.
By DragonLX on 03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post

123456 POST GET U R WINNAR (No seriously)

Anyway, people actually like that movie here. :l I found it mediocre too though.
Closed Review