Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts
Bring on the flame war
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-22-2010
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 73%
Kingdom Hearts

OH NOES PEOPLE! I DIDN'T GIVE KINGDOM HEARTS A PERFECT SCORE! I honestly really hate just how enthusiastic KH fans are sometimes. I don't hate the series. KH was my first PS2 game, and i used to love it to death...when I was 11. however, unlike most games I loved when I was 11, it has aged poorly...very poorly. what was once a grand adventure now seems painfully average.

Graphics

The graphics are not bad at all for their time. The CG cutscenes looked marvelous. they don't look quite right on my current high def TV, but that doesn't matter, as they weren't meant to. Outside of the CG cutscenes the graphics are still pretty good. Very vibrant and colorful as you might assume. The character style is somewhat realistic, but still kinda cartoony. One of the first things you'll notice are the huge feet, and heads. The game appears much like an anime, and I think thats what they wanted. Still, there were better graphics at the time, but they aren't horrible by any means.

Storyline

You are Sora, a 14 year old boy who lives on Destiny Islands who has a freaky dream about a giant shadow monster and wants to see the world. He and his friends set out to make a raft and accomplish this. Along with Kairi, the quintessential cute girl that the main character is totally into despite the fact that they never state this and do everything else in the world to make it obvious, and Riku...man is he emo....settle into your beds one night after a long days work(play) and prepare for the Next day. Meanwhile, Donald, at Disney castle discovers that King Mickey is missing. Oh Lawd. What is we goin' do. later that night, Destiny Islands gets attacked by a giant heartless; black, shadowy creatures fromed from the darkness of peoples hearts. While fighting this creature with your wooden stick, a "keyblade" suddenyl appears in your hand. a keyblade is exactly what the name suggests. it's a key...and it's a blade. after fighting for a while, Sora, Riku and Kairi get sucked into the darkness, and Sora goes looking for them upon waking up in Traverse town. From here out, you'll be running into Disney and Final Fantasy characters, traveling to various worlds and finding the keyhole to lock it so all the evil stuff will go away. there are some twists along the way, and while sort of interesting, and definitely original it just isn't as epic as I used to think it was.

Controls

Kingdom Hearts is an action RPG. Like any other RPG, you have a list of commands like "attack" and "magic". How do you access this whilst running around you ask? With a great control system that works perfectly for the game. One of the things KH got almost perfect was the controls in my opinion. You move with the left stick of course, and the right stick moves the cursor on said list.Clicking the right stick(a.k.a. pressing R3) selects the highlighted option. Or you can press X. the O button is jump, and spells can be mapped to certain buttons for easier access as well.

Gameplay

As I mentioned, I used to looooove this game to death, but now it just seems very average. basically, you run around killing whatever may pop up by eaither casting some spells or smack it in the head a few times with your handy dandy keyblade. There are some puzzles and sidequests, what with this being an RPG and all, and some boss fights are very, VERY memorable. Simply put, there are just better games to spend your time with. The game is not terrible, but it isn't all that great either. One thign that really drags the game down are the flight segments. You travel from world to world in your gummy ship in a bad starfox type minigame. it can be very annoying, especially since it's rather annoying and must be done every time you change worlds. Battles are random except boss fights, but rather than taking you to a battle screen, the enemies just kind of pop up in whatever area you are in at the time. I kind of like fighting in the exact area and everything, but I really hate random battles and few games can do it right.

Sound

If you ever watched a Disney movie growing up, and you didn't then you have lived a very sheltered life, there will be at least a couple of songs you recognize. Most of the music is redone versions of old Disney music. There are some original tracks however, and while some, like the battle themes are good, others just aren't very memorable. The voice cast has it's moments where they seem corny and kind of bland, but for the most part they do a good job bringing the recognizable characters to life.

Overall

Kingdom Hearts is a has a massively huge fan base. As you are reading this, you probably already have an opinion on this game. KH is not a bad game, but it's just not amazing or special in any way. it is very average. Bring on the hate. I'm prepared for it.
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
here's what i dont like, writing reviews just to bring the game down a couple of pegs, because it has an overactive fan base. youve done this a couple of times now. it's bullshit
By Brandyn on 03-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I never really did get around to getting this game, and it has crossed my mind alot lately; but as Beef mentioned you did seem to try to bring the game down a bit too much, which might have scared me away from playing it. You have to analyze both the good and bad about evenly if possible.

And yes, I realize I did this in my Ocarina of Time review,so I'll probably redo it later on.

Nice review, overall, though.
Last edited by Brandyn; 03-22-2010 at 08:59 PM..
By Megas75 on 03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Nice review, I also can't enjoy the first one as much as before either. This is probably the same reason why I can't enjoy the second one either
By Keyman4 on 03-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Great review I never played this game before
By Pokeman on 03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah I don't agree with you much. The controls sucked, and none of the bosses are memorable at all.. since they all sucked. Unless you ment they are very memorable by how bad they are, then maybe. Also the voice acting was bad, and when the text bubbles would pop up always pissed me off for some reason. Either have a cutscene, or text and no cutscenes.. NOT BOTH DAMMIT

Also, fix the spelling and grammar mistakes, I can see a lot.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 73%
@beef

I'm not bringing the game down. This is my opinion of it.
By AlloftheAbove on 03-23-2010, 02:52 AM
To be honest, you did seem to try a little hard to be controversial.
The review was a little predictable to read.
By Mreow on 03-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I think you should told us more about the fighting system. At least you could said that is "Simplified with 2 buttons, and it can be more complex if you wish"

On the otherhand, i totally agree with Da beef.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 73%
Well, the review has been written and it is what it is. I'm not going to change it or rewrite it because it got a bad reception. i will, however try not get the same reception in the future. I don't deliberately try to bring a game down unless it's REALLY REALLY terrible, which KH is not. I'm sorry if it seems I'm ragging on the game, but it simply isn't as special as everyone makes it out to be.
Comment