Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
"Reloading like this... is a revolution."
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-26-2010
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 95%

I got into the Metal Gear series after it had already been around for a while. My friend introduced me to Twin Snakes on the Gamecube, and I was hooked. After finishing it, I bought both MGS2 and 3 together for about $20 total out of a used game bargain bin. Gotta say, I never thought I'd find games this great in a bargain bin. Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel, taking place in the 60's. Obviously, you are not Solid snake, but instead, Big Boss(a.k.a. Snakes' father). Because of the change of scenery, technology is significantly less advanced, and industrial facilities have been traded for lush, jungle environments. It may be a little different from the norm, but this is still Metal Gear at it's heart. The core mechanics are still the same, and it's just as awesome as ever.

Graphics

Without a doubt, these are some of the ebst graphics I have seen on the PS2.From the shadow and lighting effects, to the character's animations and facial features, the game is loaded with detail. Some things such as grass look a little off when viewed up close, bt it's forgiveable.

Jeranimo!

Storyline

If you've ever played Metal Gear Solid, you know the expect an awesome, twist filled, epic, cinematic experience filled with betrayel, witty dialog and interesting characters when it comes to the story. Being a prequel, you are Bigg Boss, though you have not yet attained the title upon starting the game. You are being sent into Russia to rescue a defecting scientist of the Soviet Union named Sokolov. Sokolov has been helping develop a nuclear equipped tank called the Shagohad. I really wish I could explain in further detail, but to do see would give away a lot of spoilers, and so I'm not going to.

Controls

The controls haven't changed from MGS2. the left stick, obviously, moves you about, and the X button is used to crouch of lay down. the L2 and R2 buttons opne your item/weapon eindows for quick selecting. The square button is how you use your equipped weapon, using R1 if you wish to aim in first person. Triangle is the action futton for things such as climbing and the O button is punch.The right stick controls the camera. yes, the camera. gone are the fixed camera angles(although a quick press of R3 can bring them back if you so wish). The camera is now centered behind snake unless you move it otherwise. I prefer playing this way as opposed to using fixed angles, but it's great that the option is available if you wish to play that way. once in a while, I find it a bit hard to get positioned where i wanted to be, like to climb on something, but overall the controls are great.

Gameplay

As you probably know, Metal Gear is a game about being stealthy, quiet and efficient. as the games themselves have always put it, Metal Gear solid is a "tactical espionage action" game. That isn't to say you can't run in gun blazing, but this will in most cases produce ill results. Your best bet is to stick to remaining unseen. a new feature is the camo meter. it fluctuates between 0% and 100% based on how well camoflaged you are. Also new if the ability to change snakes clothes and face paint so he can better blend in with his surroundings, though some of the face paints are gags, like the flags of various countries that don't ussually prove too useful, though some of the joke paint, like zombie can prove useful at times. Due to the change of setting, you no logner have such high tech equipment to aid you. instead, you must mostly rely on what you can see with your eyes, and what you can guess on instinct. You have a radar, but you must equip it to use it, and if the battery dies, it must recharge. it is also rather short distance. some may feel this takes away from the game, but to me, it makes it that much more engaging.

Sound

The Metal gear series has always had great music, and always had amazing voice actors. David Hayter reprises his role as Snake once again. His voice is the ONLY voice for snake in my opinion, and I can't possibly imagine someone else doping it. if they ever change his voice actor, I will be sorely dissapointed. Hayter has come quite a long way for someone whos voice over debut was saying "EA sports. it's in the game!". The main theme, "Snake Eater" is amazing, even earning a spot in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sang by Cynthia Harrell, this theme is a jazzy orchaestrated masterpeice with powerful female vocals that I can listen to almost anytime, and never get sick of. The rest of the music and voices are equally phenominal, but I decided to use these as examples.

Overall

I came SO close to giving this game a perfect 100% score, but a couple of VERY minor problems prevented that. If you have a PS2, you owe it to yourself as a gamer to check this out.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
if you're a film nerd, like i am, this game is all the more fun. all the MGS games are like that, but this one in particular excels in that way. the 60s setting gives way to awesome aesthetics from spy films of that era, and mixing espionage with the jungle stealth antics of movies like The Deer Hunter and First Blood was genius

anyway, about the review. it's a nice overview of the game, and should get anyone who hasn't played the game interested. you really need to crack down on editing, though. this is still a problem in your reviews. if spell check isn't showing up any errors, PM me a rough draft and i'll point them out
By Megas75 on 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
This game was awesome, I especially loved the jungle setting and the ability to switch between camos
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 95%
thanks beef, I'll keep that in mind.

And I'm not mucha film nerd, but I still got a couple of the references. i especially liked the David Bowie reference...even though that one isn't a movie ref.
By Megas75 on 03-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
and I can't possibly imagine someone else doping it. if they ever change his voice actor, I will be sorely dissapointed.
I think Egoraptor would do a good job on him!
Comment