Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Pikmin review
Pikmin review
Crisis
Published by da Beef
03-30-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Pikmin review

People underestimate this game. It's the closest Shigeru Miyamoto has ever (at least consciously) come to being an artist, and not an entertainer. His words, by the way -- no one pitch a "games are art" fit. Think of the game as a magnifying glass over the tiniest of ecosystems, with the struggle to survive at least equally (though probably more like exponentially) magnified. When things like bottle caps and puddles pose obstacles to your ever growing populous, and the local bullies are creepy-crawlers of prehistoric proportions, it's an eye-opening shift in perspective, to say the least. There's a reason I still haven't finished the game: I fear for my Pikmin. I don't want them to get lost, or drown, or be maimed by a Cretaceous caterpillar.

I've never experienced that fear (or anything comparable in emotional extremity) while playing similar population-management games. In the likes of Sim City and Roller Coaster Tycoon, it's quite often more fun to cause as much destruction as possible, rather than attempt completion of the quota. Not so in Pikmin. Maybe it's the setting, the injection of biology into a genre that is almost always urban or militarized, and whose usual focus is gluttonous micro-management... but Pikmin is for whatever indeterminable reason, more pathological. We know that Miyamoto was inspired by the "tiny worlds" he found in his garden. The result (as much as I hate the "E" word) is an almost existential examination of life. Or maybe mid-life is more appropriate, given Miyamoto's age, and player-character Captain Olimar's preoccupation with family. Not to mention the game's ticking clock. One of my favorite game overs ever, honestly: if marooned Olimar can't escape the deadly atmosphere in under 30 days, he dies. Most people buy a sports car; this genius made a real time strategy game about ecology and primary-colored bugs.
Published by
Banned
da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough
Sponsored Links
By Brassica Prime on 03-30-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm not sure if this is all of it, but gods its A+. Wins my review of he month vote
By da Beef on 03-30-2010, 04:02 AM
yeah, it's all of it. i dont like long reviews. i said all i had to say :P

and thanks
By Brassica Prime on 03-30-2010, 04:05 AM
That's good in a way. Nothing but a Wall of China-sized block of text to scare away the reader. But I was getting into that!
By Beasty on 03-30-2010, 06:59 AM
that was a nice opinion but i didn't learn anything about the game now
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Some how, I saw this coming. I played through this recenty where instead of collecting all the ships parts. I saw how many pikmin I could create in the 30 day limit. It was almost 5000 I believe.

Hey beef, how come this says it was publidhed on march 3rd? I didn't notice it until today.
By da Beef on 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
Some how, I saw this coming. I played through this recenty where instead of collecting all the ships parts. I saw how many pikmin I could create in the 30 day limit. It was almost 5000 I believe.

Hey beef, how come this says it was publidhed on march 3rd? I didn't notice it until today.

for me it says March 30, which is when i published it
By Brandyn on 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Rather short review. This game looked bad to me though, I still don't know if I'd want to play it.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
Rather short review. This game looked bad to me though, I still don't know if I'd want to play it.
If you don't at least try it, I will find you and kikc you in the nards, it's that good.
By Phil on 03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I absolutely love this game. The only thing I don't like is the time limit. Even when I have the power to rewind time, as in Majora's Mask, I always feel paranoid and rushed. Regardless, I definitely need to play this again.

Any thoughts about how the Gamecube and Wii releases compare?
Comment