Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Creative Corner > Profiles and Blogs

Notices

Profiles and Blogs Blogs and Profiles written by our members, telling about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Brassica Prime
Oriental Cabbage
Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12

My Mood: Cloud_9
Brassica Prime has a spectacular aura aboutBrassica Prime has a spectacular aura about

All reviewers-Please!

Hello reviewers

I know you all work on your reviews to be put on this site. You want your reviews to be seen, praised, possibly a medal or two as well. You want to create reviews that will attract views, and as a result replies. Some of you have used you signature space to show your reviews, all fueling a never-ending drive to be seen, debated about, appreciated and enlightening people.

I'm sure you also want to do QUALITY reviews, right?

I mean, why not?

But why, do I see people, time and time again reviewing these games again and again?

-Super Smash Bros brawl
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Wii series

when they have been done to death already?

when there is no new ground to explore?

Go back to my quality question.

Your review will be much more interesting if you do something that less people have heard about, as they have a greater chance of learning something new

Now I know its easier to review games like Wii Sports

You own it, you will generate more page views sure

But at the cost of quality?

Now, I see that reviewers are moving away from these games

Which is great

But I hope the same does not happen with newer reviews as what was going on originally. Doing the same re-hash reviews instead of new ground

So please, think to yourself, before you put pen to paper

Is there much more ground to cover?
Would you be better off exploring somewhere new?

Now I'm not banning reviewing certain games

But I do think this approach would see happier readers, and as a result, happier reviewers

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Beasty
Fierce Deity
Points: 629, Level: 12 Points: 629, Level: 12 Points: 629, Level: 12
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 1x Rod Of Seasons

My Mood: Fine
Beasty is just really niceBeasty is just really niceBeasty is just really niceBeasty is just really niceBeasty is just really nice

Friend Codes
Hmm you have a point. i wish i could make a good review but i'm bad with words, not only with english i have this also with my own language.. i got dyslexia and it's very annoying when i try to make a thread :\.

PS: i hope that i typed dyslexia right ><
Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,149, Level: 69 Points: 11,149, Level: 69 Points: 11,149, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

Everyone has an opinion, and a variety of Opinion in the review section is ok. I find no problem in people post the reviews on games they have played, even if someone else has.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Zero
Smashing Brothers
Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirManguydude View Post
Everyone has an opinion, and a variety of Opinion in the review section is ok. I find no problem in people post the reviews on games they have played, even if someone else has.
Agreed. And you have to remember, Brassica Prime, it's not as if people are getting paid to write reviews here. That said, it would be absurd for them to go out and play, or even worse, buy games that they might otherwise have little to no interest in -- just for the sake of reviewing a game (for free) that hasn't been previously done on NFF, which, if you think about it, is pretty ridiculous.

Also, say for instance that the majority of the members here and fairly young and may not even have a job yet -- that makes their options for gaming and a variety of titles very limited, and most likely based solely upon when their parents are generous enough to buy them a new game. At which time they will probably buy the big hits (read: the games everyone has already reviewed here). The same can be said for those who are older, but don't have a large enough budget for games to the point where they can afford to purchase the blockbusters as well those not-so-popular or niche titles. Zero isn't necessarily saying this is the case at this site, but you have to weigh in the possibilities nonetheless.

...in any case, the most popular or best-selling games will always be the most reviewed pretty much anywhere you go. The more it sells > the more players own it > the more people review it. That's simply the way it goes, hence the multiple reviews of the same games here at NFF.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Brassica Prime
Oriental Cabbage
Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12

My Mood: Cloud_9
Brassica Prime has a spectacular aura aboutBrassica Prime has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Agreed. And you have to remember, Brassica Prime, it's not as if people are getting paid to write reviews here. That said, it would be absurd for them to go out and play, or even worse, buy games that they might otherwise have little to no interest in -- just for the sake of reviewing a game (for free) that hasn't been previously done on NFF, which, if you think about it, is pretty ridiculous.

Also, say for instance that the majority of the members here and fairly young and may not even have a job yet -- that makes their options for gaming and a variety of titles very limited, and most likely based solely upon when their parents are generous enough to buy them a new game. At which time they will probably buy the big hits (read: the games everyone has already reviewed here). The same can be said for those who are older, but don't have a large enough budget for games to the point where they can afford to purchase the blockbusters as well those not-so-popular or niche titles. Zero isn't necessarily saying this is the case at this site, but you have to weigh in the possibilities nonetheless.

...in any case, the most popular or best-selling games will always be the most reviewed pretty much anywhere you go. The more it sells > the more players own it > the more people review it. That's simply the way it goes, hence the multiple reviews of the same games here at NFF.
Never once did I state people should not be allowed to review a game

I just stated that doing so does not cover any new ground.

People don't get paid

But people do want to be congratulated, heralded etc

And the best reviews are certainly not those who follow the same path already trekked by everyone else.

Of course not everyone can do this

Which is fine!

The mistake you have made is assuming tat I am totally against 2 people reviewing the same game

In reality, I am against several people reviewing the same game but not exploring any new ground

Which I cannot stop, and will not be stopped

But if you heed my advice, you will have much better reviews
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,510, Level: 100 Points: 31,510, Level: 100 Points: 31,510, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

My Mood: Gaming
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via Skype™ to Cam3ron36@NFF Xbox Live Gamertag: cam3ron36
never once have I reviewed a popular game by todays standards. Only new game that I've reviewed was 'Theme Park DS', and that was a re-make of my favourite Saturn game. I agree though, I don't review something that's already been done. I tried once with SMB 3, and I'd like to avoid doing that again. I like to voice my opinion on the lesser-known games or under-appreciated games/consoles. I have planned to do a half life review and a Diddy Kong Racing review and it sucks when reviews are done on stuff I'm planning. I can't blame people since they aren't in my head.

I will say this, no one review Doom. I have a master review on every game released in this series nearly finished and I've been working on it for a month. I've been told formatting needs to be fixed, so it will still be a while yet. I'd appreciate if no one else does this one.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Zero
Smashing Brothers
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS

Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica Prime View Post
Never once did I state people should not be allowed to review a game
Correct, and Zero never said or even so much as insinuated that's what you were getting at. So what, exactly, is your point?

Quote:
The mistake you have made is assuming tat I am totally against 2 people reviewing the same game.
Hahaha, at this point Zero is wondering if you possibly quoted the wrong post. If not, then for someone giving advice on reviews you might want to work on your comprehension skills first. Zero was simply shedding some light on why the same games may be continuously getting reviewed here, and to provide you with a better understanding of why your expectations may be set a little too high. To be completely honest, your complaint (or advice) is misplaced and unjust. If it were the same people reviewing the same games it would make perfect sense. But it's not, it's different people reviewing the same games that other people have. What you're basically suggesting is that the members here should play and review games further down on their priority list -- and possibly not even on it -- simply for the sake of making the reviews (that nobody gets paid for) at NFF more diverse.

Honestly, judging from this thread and your recent comments on other review threads here, it sounds like you're just generally annoyed at seeing the same games reviewed. And that's completely understandable, but you need to exercise a little more thought and understanding.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,566, Level: 100 Points: 58,566, Level: 100 Points: 58,566, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
i simply review every game I play *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 57,818, Level: 100 Points: 57,818, Level: 100 Points: 57,818, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
I think we should get mailed paychecks for each game we review. $_$.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Zero
Smashing Brothers

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
I think we should get mailed paychecks for each game we review. $_$.
That would be nice. But the point of doing it at a place like NFF is to contribute; to do it for the community basically. And essentially, that's what is happening here. You see, every review made here, every blog, every member, even every post (the worthwhile ones anyway), makes this site bigger, better, more entertaining, and ultimately more valuable. That's why Zero has a hard time justifying complaints about the same games being reviewed. It's not that members fault that everyone else here has played the game they want to write about. Every single contribution members make with good intentions should be greatly appreciated, never taken for granted, and certainly never bitched about.