Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Dog's Life
Dog's Life
Bad dog!
Published by SuperGamecube64
04-04-2010
Author review
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
40%40%40%
Sound
25%25%25%
Average 36%
Dog's Life

A game where play as a dog. It's an intriguing concept, wouldn't you agree? There are so many things they could do with idea, and yet they did almost none of them. furthermore, the things they DID do turned out terrible. I wanted tot try this game for the longest time, but couldn't find it. I was so disappointed with this game when I finally played it.

Graphics

The graphics are bland and terrible. textures are rough and unpolished, and character models, especially humans and even more especially the human's faces are just atrocious and rigid. Aside from the shadow effects the graphics are almost unbelievable. When the best looking texture in your game is dirt, something is wrong. on top of all this, the draw distance is terrible. Maybe that's a good thing, because it means you have less of a jumbled mess to look at in one area. of course, the thing that would matter more than human NPCs would be the dogs that you play is. Well, they're pretty terible too, although not nearly as bad as the humans. they just look rough, and very unfinished. the only one they seem to have put any effort into is Jake, the main character, and even he doesn't look that wonderful. I'd rather watch my real dog while shes taking a dump than look at this game.

ok, first off, look at the human in the car. WHAT?! Now, look at that jumbled up mess enar the car. Yeah, thats a pole conneted o the powerline if you couldn't tell. Why is it two different colors? Now look at how ridiculously rigid EVERYTHING is. No effort was put forth to make this game look presentable.

Storyline

You are Jake. you are a dog. You eat, chase cats and fart on butterflies....no, seriously. Jake has the hots for some dog named Daisy. Daisy gets captured by the dog catcher, and now he's going to save her....yeah. it works for Mario, not so much for Dog's Life. why am I doing meaningless tasks in order to find out where the pound is? You are a dog! Why can't you just pick up her scent, one of the catchers scents or the trucks scents and follow it? It is not logical to be doing all the stupid tasks you are doing to find her. you were there when it happened, and beinng a dog, should just be able to do that. did the developers even try? why not come up with something more esciting or at least sensible?

Yet another grand example of this games amazing graphical triumphs. Why does everything on the bottom of jake look like dried mud?

Controls

I haven't played dog's Life since the day I got it, and played it for like two hours. Two, long, wasted, painful hours. Because of this, and my unwillingness to ever play this game again, I can't remember the controls down the what every button did, but I do remember that it did control rather well, and had a decent layout.

Gameplay

As I already mentioned, you spend most of your time doing stupid, pointless tasks. the games one semi redeeming quality is that you can challenge other dogs to challenges such as doing tricks, which is basically a game of Simon, marking terriotory which is somewhat like Squares and a couple of other thigns. The problem is that in order to do this, you must help the poor stupid, badly rendered humans to earn treets, and use your smell-o-vision to track down scents. the game is open world, like Grand Theft Auto, only terrible. While ther eis some novelty to throwing cats around, and jumping onto the hood of a moving vehicle, and taking a dump on the windshield, it loses its appeal after the first few.....well, the first time.

Sound

The music is extremely forgetable and the voice acotrs are not even worth metnioning. I would be emberassed to be listed in the credits of this game under any category, but the worst would be if I was a voice actor. Everyone sounds like they're eaither reatrded, a zombie, on grugs, or a retarded zombie on drugs.

Overall

Avoid it like the plague, and burn it with fire. Do not waste your time with this one. the concept was good, but the excecution is God forsakenly terrible.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
All you really did was complain about the graphics, it looks fine to me, definitely not by PS2 standards but definitely decent graphics for Dreamcast, which is fine.

Secondly, I researched this and it seems that everyone enjoys it. Good ratings all around so what's the deal? From what I've read in other reviews it sounds like it can be quite enjoyable. I've heard that it's lacking but it sounds Ok.

I know it's all opinion but you really didn't give me a visualization of what it's like, well you did since you complained about the graphics most of the time and that's not saying much about the game itself, is it?

I'm just pointing some things out, it was an okay job, but the review is really lacking in some areas.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
40%40%40%
Sound
25%25%25%
Average 36%
you'll find on the internet that lots of terrible games are still enjoyed by many. and graphics aren't that important to me, the game as a whole is just stupid. It's like the developers put forth no effort at all into anything about it.

check out these reviews:http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/917852.html

There is only 1 in which it got a very good score. all the others are either bad, or mediocre.
Last edited by SuperGamecube64; 04-04-2010 at 04:03 PM..
By da Beef on 04-04-2010, 09:40 PM
too many typos to be taken seriously. case in point:

Quote:
The music is extremely forgetable and the voice acotrs are not even worth metnioning. I would be emberassed to be listed in the credits of this game under any category, but the worst would be if I was a voice actor. Everyone sounds like they're eaither reatrded, a zombie, on grugs, or a retarded zombie on drugs.
you really, really need to start proofreading these things. it's been a problem for way too long. type them up in a word processor first, and use spell check. if you dont have a word processor, ill proofread them for you. i wont approve any more of your reviews if you dont fix your spelling

and yeah, based on the screenshots there, it looks like any other Dreamcast game. certainly a bit more detailed than some that come to mind
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
40%40%40%
Sound
25%25%25%
Average 36%
it was a ps2 game, beef. to my knowledge, it wasn't on the Dreamcast.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
yeah, beef. Was just making a comparison on the graphics

and yeah, nothing wrong with MS word. I use it all the time.
Last edited by Cam3ron36@NFF; 04-05-2010 at 02:28 AM..
By da Beef on 04-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
yeah, beef. Was just making a comparison on the graphics

and yeah, nothing wrond with MS word. I use it all the time.

oh, i misread your post, then
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 04-05-2010, 02:30 AM
I like how I made a typo when complaining about typos... Fixed anyways, unfortunately I was quoted though. :P
By DarkLegacy on 04-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Way to many spelling errors and also you said ' I can't remember the controls down the what every button did, but I do remember that it did control rather well, and had a decent layout. ' and then gave controls a '4'. You have to match what you say with a feasible score. _
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
40%40%40%
Sound
25%25%25%
Average 36%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLegacy View Post
Way to many spelling errors and also you said ' I can't remember the controls down the what every button did, but I do remember that it did control rather well, and had a decent layout. ' and then gave controls a '4'. You have to match what you say with a feasible score. _
Controls and gameplay share a score.
Comment