Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Bleach, season 1: The Substitute
"My name is Ichigo kurosaki, and for as long as I can remember, I've been able to see ghosts."
Published by SuperGamecube64
04-04-2010
Author review
Movie Rating
90%90%90%
Average 90%

You are to become a reaper!

I don't know if this is the first review of an anime on NFF or not, but I decided to review it. Bleach has amassed a rather large following since it began and has become one of Shonen Jump's flagship titles. Though not of the same fame as maybe Naruto, or Dragonball it still has a arge fan base, which I am part of.

Season one, "The substitute" is of course, the beginning of the story. For as long as he can remember, Ichigo Kurosaki has been able to see ghosts. Living at home with his two sisters and his father, Ichigo is a 15 year old high school student with a nack for getting into fights. It seems people just don't like the fact he is a redhead. Ironically, the name "Ichigo" means "strawberry", referring to his red hair. Although, Ichigo is a feminine name, so it makes you wonder just why they would give a male character this name. One day while on the way home, he gets into a scrap with some guys that knocked over a vse of flowers meant to honor a child that was killed. After making them apologize and run off like scared little babies, he turns to the semi transparent spirit and consoles her before ehading home.

If I were the rain...could I ever merge with somebody's heart, like the way the rain merges Sky and Earth, never meant to connect...

Ichigo has a rather strange home life. as he enters his door, he is attacked by his father, who arranges random sparring matches with him to keep him sharp. Though his father is locing and only wants to help, he ussually end up rubbing his son the wrong way in the end. His sisters sit nearby, one of them almost able to just ignore her families crazy antics at this point. Annoyed, Ichigo goes off to his room to relax.

Ichigo Kurosaki, let's battle it out to see who stands above the other...I shall make you realize. there is no more need of soul reapers...

late that night, a girl dressed in black garbs enters through his window to send off a spirit in his room. ichigo begns to question her for barging into his room, and asks who the girl is. Her name is Rukia and she is a soul reaper. Ichigo denies this and tells the woman to get out. Rukia then places a binding spell on Ichigo, making him incapable of movement, and attemtps to further explain to him. Soon after, a hollow, which is a creature Rukia was jsut explaining about attacks Ichigos house, injuring his siter. As his siter reaches his room for help, she falls unconscious on the ground, and rukia rushes off to defeat the monster. Frustrated, angered and fearing for his families safety, Ichigo manages to break the spell all on his own and rushes to help.

I have been expected from the very beginning...There is not much time left for me..."

Jumping in the way of the hollow, a massive, black, shadowy monster, Ichigo provokes it trying to get it to attack him instead of his family. Rukia, with her zanpakuto, a katana with a white hilt, jumps in his way to defend him, but is bitten on the shoulder by the beasts massive jaws. Her garments are now soaked with her blood, and she is rendered useless due to her injury. Rukia then instructs Ichigo to stick himself with her sword so that she may transfer her powers to him. Ichigo does as he is told, and in a flash he is wearing black garments as she was, n oversized katana like sword in his hands. Rukia comments that shes never seen such a giant zanpakuto before, and Ichigo rushes into battle to save his family.

Feels like the rain...stopped...

Bleach starts with a rather emotional battle Ichigo Kurosaki is now his families only hope, and was willing to risk giving all, following a total strangers isntructions to peice himself with her sword to save them. Personally, the first few episodes of Bleach are my favorite of them all. Bleach is an anime filled with action, emotion and likable characters. It's also one of the few anime in which the English voice overs aren't so bad they make your ears vleed. Doesn't mean they're wonderful, but it's deffinitely passable. Bleach is one of my favorite anime to come out in the last decade. If you haven't already checked it out, you should.
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM
not a review. not a review at all. you summarized the story, and nothing more

F-
By gameaddict on 04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
not a review. not a review at all. you summarized the story, and nothing more

F-
Agreed.

This is less of a review, and more of a recollection of what you saw.

You have barely discussed what you thought of the show at all.
Closed Review