Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland
By Gameaddict
Published by gameaddict
04-05-2010
Author review
Movie Rating
80%80%80%
Average 80%
Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland - Review

INTRO

I first heard about this film in about the middle of 2009, and when first hearing about it, I was very excited. I was even more excited when I discovered that Tim Burton, my very favourite film director, was set to direct this new Alice in Wonderland film. My expectations were very high, and I can now say, after seeing Alice in Wonderland, the film completely lived up to expectations.

CHANGES

Burton has done a great job to recreate the story of Alice in Wonderland. The film has a much darker theme to it than any of the other films of Alice in Wonderland. I can't say that I wasn't expecting this - Burton seems to have a tendency to do this in almost all of his films. The story has a very different storyline to any of the other films too. In fact, quite a few of the charaters from Lewis Carol's original story have been left out. The first thirty minutes or so may seem quite similar, but afer thirty minutes, you will see that the story is completely different to any of the films. I'm not this is a bad thing... in fact, I quite like it. It came as a surprise to me - and I enjoy being surprised.

As I said earlier, the film has a much darker theme. In fact, there is even a battle scene. It's a film for about twelve year olds or older. I am saying this because I feel that most children under the age of twelve will probably not be able to understand or appreciate the film. If you are wanting to show a child younger than twelve Alice in Wonderland, then I would suggest showing them the Alice in Wonderland film from 1999, directed by Nick Willing, or the original 1951 Disney film.

ACTORS

When I first heard that Johnny Depp would be playing the role of the Mad Hatter, I was barely surprised, since Burton seems to have a tendency with casting Depp with major roles in films. I was also glad - because in my opinion, there could be no better person to play the role of the Mad Hatter. However, I was unsure how Depp would portray the role. Was he going to act like Martin Short did in the 1999 version of Alice in Wonderland, or was he going to choose to portray the role of the Mad Hatter differently, in a way that hadn't been seen before? Luckily, Depp chose the later option.

In my opinion, Burton's films always have great casting - and this film is no exception. Every actor seems to just be perfect for his or her role. Burton has chosen to cast all of the main characters with very famous actors, such as Stephen Fry, Alan Rickman, Anne Hathaway, (I don't paticularly like her as an actor, but nevertheless, she is still a famous actor), Matt Lucas, Helena Bonham Carter, (who I particularly liked), and many more.

I was shocked how Depp chose to potray the Mad Hatter - I thought that he would act madly, pulling all sorts of quirky faces, and jumping around a lot, like Martin Short in the 1999 version of the film. To my surprise, Depp played the role much calmer than I thought he would. But although he didn't act as eccentric as I had originally thought he would, he still had a very quirky feel that I grew to like very quickly.

Alice is much older character in this film. In fact, she is a nineteen year old. I found this a little odd at first, since I had always expected Alice to be a young girl, (probably about ten years old or so. I'm not saying I'm against this - I was just not expecting it. Speaking of things that I wasn't expecting, I was quite astounded to find that the march hare doesn't have a very large part in the film. When I think of Alice in Wonderland, I think of the March Hare. But Burton has chosen to not give the March Hare such a large part.

CONCLUSION

Overall, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is a great film. Don't go to the cinema expecting to see an adaption of Lewis Carol's book, however, because the film is very different to the original book. As I have said earlier, it is much darker themed, and I would suggest that children under the age of twelve may not do not watch the film, because it not as much as a child's film as you may originally think. Burton has done a great job recreating the story of Alice in Wonderland, and in my opinion, this is the best Alice in Wonderland film so far. Well done, Burton.

Movie Rating: 8.0
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 04-05-2010, 04:29 AM
i stopped reading after you mentioned that Tim Burton is your favorite director
By Pokeman on 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I hope everyone does
By op89x on 04-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Beef, you're better than that.
By Brandyn on 04-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I sort of stopped after you said the movie lived up to your high expectations.
By da Beef on 04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Beef, you're better than that.

im really not
By Lukario on 04-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I thought the movie was okay. The plot itself was rather boring, it was only the extravagant animation that kept my attention.
Closed Review