Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Brassica Prime
Oriental Cabbage
Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12

My Mood: Cloud_9
Brassica Prime has a spectacular aura aboutBrassica Prime has a spectacular aura about

People's entitlement to their opinion

It is a commonly accepted fact:

"All people are entitled to their opinion"

From this guy:

To this guy

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

But this law needs to be addressed when it comes to expressing your opinion

Because saying that "Everyone is entitled to express their opinion without fear of consequences for doing so" is one of the many basis's of Capitalism, and as a such is pretty much un-debatable unless you live in North Korea.

But what I would love would be a law that said that everyone is entitled to their INFORMED opinion. One based on fact and not emotion.

I know that this is unrealistic

But surely it would be great, in fact entirely beneficiary, in some instances?

If implemented right, then the adage "Everyone is entitled to their informed opinion" would be best in some instances.

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,414, Level: 100 Points: 56,414, Level: 100 Points: 56,414, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Well emotion and moral value takes a part of your opinion, but yes there should be a logical reason as well.

Like, and of course I'm using this example, Gay Marriage. Morally, some people are against it but they lack a logical, factual reason as to why it shouldn't be. It depends on the debate, I guess.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I don't mind peoples opinions as long as they don't express it in a way that offends people, or take it to the extreme(like Osama bin Laden and the KKK)

inb4badexamples
Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,456, Level: 75 Points: 13,456, Level: 75 Points: 13,456, Level: 75

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
I have so much to say about this, but I'll try to make it short.

So in my opinion, just because someone says "in my opinion..." or "imo" or whatever, shouldn't be an excuse to not be argued with (I explained that badly >_>)

Example: This guy said there were 3 Prime games in the metroid series, I said there were five. (1-3, Hunters, Pinball) He then said it was his opinion that there is 3 so he's right or something retarded like that. He said he doesn't consider hunters or pinball a real prime game in his opinion, when obviously they are since they have prime in the ****ing name.

So yeah, that's my opinion. Agree with me or not, I don't care.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
Dudebro
Banned

My Mood: Lurking
Dudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF 3rd Annual Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica Prime View Post
Because saying that "Everyone is entitled to express their opinion without fear of consequences for doing so" is one of the many basis's of Capitalism, and as a such is pretty much un-debatable unless you live in North Korea
Everyone has a right to their opinion, unless it infringes on others. There are consequences for certain circumstances so technically free speech isn't totally free.

About the informed thing though, it's too subjective. One persons informed opinion will not be the same as anothers. Where do we draw the line and who gets to decide?

Personally I think free speech is overrated. Groups like the KKK and the Westboro Baptist church should not have a right to spread hate and terrorize other groups.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,338, Level: 72 Points: 12,338, Level: 72 Points: 12,338, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
I think it's fine for people to express their opinion as long as they keep it to themselves.

Lukario
Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
Dudebro
Banned

Dudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of lightDudebro is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF 3rd Annual Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
I think it's fine for people to express their opinion as long as they keep it to themselves.

Lukario
Well yeah that's the sensible solution but I think we both know that's not the way this works. On average people love to tell other people how they feel about pretty much everything.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,338, Level: 72 Points: 12,338, Level: 72 Points: 12,338, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Well yeah that's the sensible solution but I think we both know that's not the way this works. On average people love to tell other people how they feel about pretty much everything.
I know, and it's really a contradiction in itself. Sometimes, though, it's very appropriate for people to keep their opinions to themselves, especially when the matter at hand doesn't need one.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
Dudebro
Banned

Awards Showcase
NFF 3rd Annual Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
I know, and it's really a contradiction in itself. Sometimes, though, it's very appropriate for people to keep their opinions to themselves, especially when the matter at hand doesn't need one.
I think people should keep their opinions to themselves pretty much all the time unless it's needed. Something like an internet forum is pretty much full of opinions so it doesn't count imo.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Brassica Prime
Oriental Cabbage
Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12 Points: 621, Level: 12

My Mood: Cloud_9
Brassica Prime has a spectacular aura aboutBrassica Prime has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I think people should keep their opinions to themselves pretty much all the time unless it's needed. Something like an internet forum is pretty much full of opinions so it doesn't count imo.
Yes, the internet allows people to express their opinions without possible social (or physical) repercussions. It allows people to say the truth. However, it also allows people to be very destructive as well. It's an equal opportunity-destroyer.

And as for people keeping their opinions to themselves, as Dudebro pointed out, it would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen, especially on the internet
Closed Thread