Lucario  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Knowing
Knowing
By Gameaddict
Published by gameaddict
04-11-2010
Author review
Movie Rating
65%65%65%
Average 65%
Knowing

KNOWING

INTRO

When I first heard about the plot of Knowing, I thought that the idea was interesting, and was a new idea that as far as I know hadn't already been used. For those who aren't aware, Knowing is a film about a man who discovers a piece of that paper that has all of the dates and GPS coordinates to every disaster, both from the past and from the future. This is a great idea, and Knowing could have been a great film - but unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I initially thought I was going to. The first half was great - it was just like how I had expected it to be like. University Professor John Koestler (Nicholas Cage) discovers the paper, and so he then decides to start saving people's lives by reading the paper, and then going to the place where the disaster will happen.

Unfortunately, after the first half of the film, the film was no longer a disaster film, but more of a supernatural film. It turns out that because of the sheet of paper, John's son can now communicate with these weird aliens from another planet. I was NOT expecting any aliens in this film, and so by adding aliens into this film, it ruined it. By adding these aliens into the film, it became a supernatural film, and the film seemed a lot less realistic. If these alien creatures weren't a part of the film, then I would have really liked Knowing, and it would have made it a way better film in my opinion. I'm not saying that I don't like supernatural films, I'm just saying that this film should have been a disaster film, rather than a disaster film for the first half and a supernatural film with weird aliens for the second half.

ACTING

Nicholas Cage's acting always seem to entertain me, and his acting in Knowing is certainly not exception. Cage seems to fit the role of a University Professor so well. He is by far my favourite actor in the film by far - none of the other actors even come close. Cage is great at showing emotion, whether it is anger, sadness, frustration or any other emotion.

MUSIC

The dark theme of the music fits the film so well. Music is always important, but it is especially important in Knowing, and luckily the music is almost perfect in the film. The film wouldn't be anywhere near as frightening if there was no music - the music helps build the suspense of the film.

CONCLUSION

Knowing is an alright film, but the aliens should have been left out of the film - it would have been a lot better if the whole film was a disaster film, instead of just the first half. Nicholas Cage's acting was definitely the best thing about the film - if Cage wasn't in the film, I probably wouldn't have watched it.

Overall Score: 6.5/10
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 04-11-2010, 10:10 AM
This is one of the better reviews you've written.
By gameaddict on 04-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks, op. This is one of my favourite reviews so far. I have fixed a few bits since you read it, I found a few small mistakes.
By Brandyn on 04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, the film started out great and was ruined by an anti-climactic and stupid ending. But hey, Nicholas Cage was in it.
By Stapler on 04-16-2010, 03:41 AM
@KG: The anti-climactic ending was not its downfall. You knew it was imminent at the start.
I, for one, enjoyed the refreshment.
You see, the formula has been used to death: Something bad will happen. Can we stop it? Yes.
However, this movie was, as I said, refreshing in that case.
By da Beef on 04-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Knowing is an alright film, but the aliens should have been left out of the film - it would have been a lot better if the whole film was a disaster film, instead of just the first half. Nicholas Cage's acting was definitely the best thing about the film - if Cage wasn't in the film, I probably wouldn't have watched it.
i count six
By Brandyn on 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah the second half was still pretty dumb though. Those aliens looked Edward Cullen-gay and then I don't have a problem with the fact that [SPOILER] he fails to stop the world from perishing but I mean having his son and that woman's daughter implied to be the next Adam and Eve and then frolicking in that meadow was just so idiotic to me.
Closed Review