Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
By Gameaddict
Published by gameaddict
04-12-2010
Author review
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
65%65%65%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 64%

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII

INTRO

It has been more than three years since New Super Mario Bros. was released for the DS, and so it was no surprise to me when I heard that a Super Mario Bros. game was going to be released for the Wii. I purchased the game right after its release, and I was a little disappointed with the game.

GRAPHICS

The graphics of New Super Mario Bros Wii are quite similar to its predecessor. Mario, Luigi, Bowser, the toads, Princess Peach and everybody else look just like they did in the game's predecessor, and the background of each different level look the same too.

STORYLINE

Like most Super Mario Bros games, there isn't very much of a storyline. Basically, the storyline is: Mario, Luigi and the two toads are celebrating Peach's birthday, when Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings come and crash the party. They trap Peach in a cake, and then fly away in Bowser's brand new flying ship. It is now up to the four character to save Peach.

GAMEPLAY

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is very much like the DS version of the game - in fact, it's too much like the DS of the game. Luckily, there two major differences. The first difference is that New Super Mario Bros Wii now offers up to four players - players can choose from a selection of four characters: Mario, Luigi, blue toad or yellow toad. The multiplayer option is a good change, and is significantly more fun than single player.

The second major difference is that there are three new items - the ice flower, which allows you to freeze objects. You are then able to grab the frozen objects and throw them against a wall, shattering into hundreds of pieces and killing the object. There is also the penguin suit, which is like the ice flower, but also allows you to slide quickly along the ground. The third new item is the propeller suit - this allows you to jump much higher than usual.

CONTROLS

The Wii remote is obviously very different to the controls on the DS, and so if you have been previously playing New Super Mario Bros on the DS, then you will almost definitely find the controls hard to get used to. I have been playing New Super Mario Bros Wii for a while now, and I am getting quite used to the controls now, so you will eventually get used to the new controls. You can choose to use the Nunhuck or not. Without the Nunchuck, "2" is jump, "1" is dash, and the D-Pad is for walking. When the Nunchuck is plugged in to the Wii remote, "B" becomes dash, and "A" becomes jump. I prefer to not use the Nunchuck.

SOUND

The Super Mario Bros series always has great sounds, and even better music, and New Super Mario Bros Wii is definitely no exception.

CONCLUSION

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a fun game, but it is too similar to its predecessor. If it was a single game on its own, it would have been a great game, but it isn't a single game - it is a part of the Super Mario Bros series, and it doesn't add much to the series. In my opinion, New Super Mario Bros Wii is a mediocre game - it is alright... but definitely isn't a fantastic game either.
Published by
gameaddict is on a distinguished road
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 04-12-2010, 01:19 AM
how are the DS controls at all different from holding the wii remote sideways? D-pad, run button, jump button -- what's the difference?
By gameaddict on 04-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
65%65%65%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 64%
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
how are the DS controls at all different from holding the wii remote sideways? D-pad, run button, jump button -- what's the difference?
I don't know, maybe it was just me...
By da Beef on 04-12-2010, 01:26 AM
heres the answer: they arent different. explain yourself next time instead of making empty generalizations
By gameaddict on 04-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
65%65%65%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 64%
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
heres the answer: they arent different. explain yourself next time instead of making empty generalizations
Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Sorry if you weren't pleased with this review. I'm not great at writing reviews, and I'm still learning lots of stuff.
By da Beef on 04-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameaddict View Post
Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Sorry if you weren't pleased with this review. I'm not great at writing reviews, and I'm still learning lots of stuff.

i dont like disclaimer-ey excuses
By General Guy on 04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
i agree tehy shood have added dinosawrs or sumthin bcause its liek the same game as teh predecessorz.
By gameaddict on 04-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
65%65%65%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 64%
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Guy View Post
i agree tehy shood have added dinosawrs or sumthin bcause its liek the same game as teh predecessorz.
There was a dinosaur in the game... Yoshi.
By Beasty on 04-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Guy View Post
You mean "I Agree they should have added dinosaurs or something because it's like the same game as the ??? (wtf do you mean with that xD)"
By Pokeman on 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
You mean "I Agree they should have added dinosaurs or something because it's like the same game as the ??? (wtf do you mean with that xD)"
He, and everyone else know what he means.
Comment