Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > NES

Notices

NES Nintendo Entertainment System section post here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,751, Level: 100 Points: 31,751, Level: 100 Points: 31,751, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

My Mood: Gaming
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via Skype™ to Cam3ron36@NFF Xbox Live Gamertag: cam3ron36
Top 10 NES games of all time

Before I start this note that your top 10 would be way different from anyone elses especially mine since I have an unorthadox taste for games meaning a few namable favourites WILL NOT be on my list. Thankyou.
Such an interesting game and one I happened to have in my library as a kid. That being said it had to be one of the easiest games ever, yeah you died a lot but you had infinite continues and would spawn right where you died. This vertical scrolling fighting game was 2-players and probably one of the first games I beat... Not to mention over and over again. "Ikari III"

This was by no means an easy game of the nes and most regard it's predecessing game but I had my library of nes games not including many of the popular ones. I could never get past level 2 or 3 as a kid and I still find it challenging to get past level 4's boss but what a fun beat em up! Double Dragon II.

Now to bring some praise to the list. Now, this game I never owned. But since I learned it had inspired one of my favourite snes shooters I had to try it out and see how similar it was to Jurassic Park 2 on Snes. I'm referring to the crazy contra. Only problem is the challenge, if I had, had this as a kid I would have never beaten the first level or two. Thankyou 30-live code...

It was hard to make a good racing game in the day unless it was made differently and not in your "behind-car" or "first person" perspective. Yes, I'm aware of Rad Racer and the F-1 games but those were rare. But here comes a side-scrolling racer... Unorthadox, but I think you can tell now I mean excite bike. Biggest reason I like this game; The mapmaker! Such a fun little game too.

You don't often see many RPG's like this and by that I mean RPGs that allow you to pick who and what type of people are in your party but this was such a great thing to do. I wish they gave that choice more often and we all know how well the final Fantasy series does everything else in their games. FF 1.

linking back to what I said before you had most of your racing games like today in the first person but not so much on the nes. This was another style of racing that I loved from this game as well as badlands and you often see flash games using the same system. Super off road was an excellently implemented racer that was released on many consoles and while the nes version isn't the best sound-wise it still counts. The land forms, bumps and turns are what made this game so special.

Does this one need an introduction. Right now it just triggered in your head; SMB 3. Now you're wondering why it's not at the top of the list? Well, that's because Super mario bros. the original will be taking spot #4 since it was so innovative for it's time and spawned the character we all know today.

Down to the final 3 now, you're probably hoping for some of your favourites at this point and I hate to dissapoint but like I said before I didn't play a lot of the popular ones. Hold on now, here comes your Super Mario Bros. 3. What could top this on my list? Read on and all that really needs to explain SMB 3 is a video everyone probably already knows.

Spot number 2 will be going to the best platformer out there, by Konami... You ready? Bucky o hare! What a great game and how could you expect anything less from konami. This was my favourite nes game that I owned and yeah, it was great and I still love it to this day, it takes spot number 2 bar none and is the best sidescrolling platformer on the NES.

By now you're probably wondering if it's not mario, what is it? Truth is, this was a Japan only game that wasn't ported to the us but translated to english for emulators. It's still a NES game and is the best RPG on the NEs. It is the only game of it's genre that I've ever seen. This game involves problem solving, and it is a horror. Think about that, a horror RPG and a good one at that. Thank you to Tenser for introducing me to it this year, it is my favourite NES game at the moment...

You want more info, go give it a shot or research it and you must see the ending.
Thannks for reading people. Enjoy the list and no complaining. It is all my opinion and I'm not telling you what to think about what is and is not the best.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Tenser
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1

Tenser is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet Home indeed is a great game. I'm glad it wasn't ported over as it would have just been censored to hell and high water. Out of order:

Castlevania II
Crystalis
Guardian Legend
Magic of Scheherazade
Metroid
Shadowgate
Sweet Home
Ultima IV
Legend of Zelda
StarTropics 2
Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,751, Level: 100 Points: 31,751, Level: 100 Points: 31,751, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 

Quote:
Sweet Home indeed is a great game. I'm glad it wasn't ported over as it would have just been censored to hell and high water. Out of order:
How so... Been a few months since I played it but I don't remember any coarse language or anything of the such. Too scary back then for kids?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,588, Level: 100 Points: 58,588, Level: 100 Points: 58,588, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Nice list, but shouldn't Contra have ranked better than it did? I would personally rather play that before Final Fantasy I or Exitebike. Not that either of those are bad games at all but the list seems just a slight bit out of order.

And you forgot Legend of Zelda and Zelda II.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu

Tekken Revolution mains: Paul, Steve

Tekken 6 mains: Paul, Steve, Hwoarang

King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim/Joe
Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic

Awards Showcase

Quote:
And you forgot Legend of Zelda and Zelda II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
a few namable favourites WILL NOT be on my list.
Quote:
shouldn't Contra have ranked better than it did? I would personally rather play that before Final Fantasy I or Exitebike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I have an unorthadox taste for games
I am not a huge fan of Contra. JP 2 is better but contra was pretty good from what I played.

Quote:
Not that either of those are bad games at all but the list seems just a slight bit out of order.
No, I thought it through.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
Mobius
Banned

Mobius is on a distinguished road

You should have named the thread "Cam3ronNFF's favorite NES games." Top 10 NES games of all time sounds uppity and pretentious, especially when you place a game hardly anyone has ever played above Mario 3.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,576, Level: 94 Points: 23,576, Level: 94 Points: 23,576, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
What? Super Mario 2 isn't in the list?! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Other than that, nice list
Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,588, Level: 100 Points: 58,588, Level: 100 Points: 58,588, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
What Mobius said, you should have just named it "Cam's Favorite Games"

You play all the really obscure ones that we haven't.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu

Tekken Revolution mains: Paul, Steve

Tekken 6 mains: Paul, Steve, Hwoarang

King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim/Joe
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic

Awards Showcase

I already noticed the thread name. In retrospect I'd remove the "Of all time" part.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Tenser
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1

Tenser is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
You play all the really obscure ones that we haven't.
I wouldn't consider any of those on Cam's list obscure except for possibly Sweet Home.

@Cam: Remember, this was Nintendo of the 80's who loved to censor everything. Certainly the scene of the husband's demise would have been questioned let alone the general plot of mother placing baby in furnace. Also there's the fact that this game was releases in tandem with a Japanese horror flick of the same name.
Closed Thread