Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
rickywatson
Goomba
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

rickywatson is an unknown quantity at this point

What would you think about 2 kids?

After reading a lot of questions on here it seems like the general concensus of the parenting section doesn't agree with kids having electronic earlier/clothes/make up.
Ex: Kids not having tv's in their room. No cell phones.

But my question is what would you think of two kids that:

Boy: 14
TV in room since 8yrs.
Has nintendo, xbox live, game cube in his room now.
Has a cell phone since age 10.
Has texting.
Has access to a computer.
Has a myspace.
Has IM.

Girl:19
Has had a tv in room since 8yrs as well and still does.
Has a cell phone since 15 years old w/ unlimited texting
Has had a laptop in her room since 16 years old
Has had a myspace/facebook since 15
Make-up since age 11

Mostly things most parents wouldn't allow their teens to do because they either feel they are too young or don't like the idea.
It seems like most parents on here don't allow a lot of things.
IMHO...I see nothing wrong with being the kid all the other kids want to be.
I am not bashing on anyones parenting style here....to each his own.

What do you think about kids who have those priviled
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Mobius
Banned

Mobius is on a distinguished road

I think the vast majority of modern teenagers have access to all of the things you listed.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,420, Level: 100 Points: 58,420, Level: 100 Points: 58,420, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
^What he said^

Teens and Young Adults make up most of MySpace/Facebook's revenue (though mainly MySpace for teens).

The only thing I would disagree with is a 10 year old with a cell phone (of course this is fine if it's for emergency reasons but I don't know about socially) and maybe 11 is too young for a girl to wear makeup....I mean I can't speak for women, but for young girls if you simply keep your face well washed it should be fine, maybe a little lipstick is fine.

Other than that, as long as parents monitor these social networking accounts, I don't see a problem with them for teens...the people whom they are made for....

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
Mreow
Cabbit
Points: 2,720, Level: 31 Points: 2,720, Level: 31 Points: 2,720, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo DS

My Mood: Horny
Mreow has a spectacular aura aboutMreow has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via MSN to Mreow PSN ID: Mreow-
Well, my son is 2 years now. He watches movies all the time, i know it's difficult to compare him with a teenager, but i believe that
When he grows up, he will have access to more technology than we have now. And i'm not gonna deny him. If he plays videogames,watches tv, or surfing on the web or sends an mms with his cell i'm not gonna deny him.
My opinion is that if the kids are chatting with someone online and he tells them to take their clothes off, blame the parents. I grew up with a cell phone from the age of 10.
My first computer at 12 (with internet) and i've always been playing videogames. Let the kids do what they want in their room, but make some rules.
And by the way, it's easy for kids to go online nowadays. Simply go to a library or something. Just be sure to check what they're doing.
Also, it's different for us who grew up through the 90's then my father that grew up through the 70 and 80's. Technology evolves. Parents need to allow their kids to do what they want, but keep in mind that you need to check what they do. Often.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I don't have a kid, but I have a younger brother that thinks he is my butt magnet. Anyway, while he is the outdoorsy type, he does like games. Of course, mom only buys him games suitable for him (he only has a DS, wii and ps2 though), but when he comes to my house, he likes to play my xbox. I, a legal adult, have many games that I know he has no business playing at his age, and I simply say 'no, put that back" and suggest others that he can play.

Also,he is 20 eyars old, and has a cell phone, and texting. My Mom and his Dad(we are half brothers) are split up, and through this, he is able to remain in contact with our mom when he is at his dads house, his Dad when he is with mom, and with whoever he needs to when he is with me. It's all in what it is being used for, and how you monitor them.

also, you need to teach kids the difference between reality and imagination. It isn't what the kid has access to so much as what they use it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76

Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
this is retarded

Old 08-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,420, Level: 100 Points: 58,420, Level: 100 Points: 58,420, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Thanks Pokeman, because that was extremely neccessary for you to say.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,410, Level: 72 Points: 12,410, Level: 72 Points: 12,410, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Wow your kids are way too spoiled! If I was you I would take it all away and make them mow an acre of lawn that grows back every day. Oh wait this isn't the 50s most people have these things.

Lukario
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
Wow your kids are way too spoiled! If I was you I would take it all away and make them mow an acre of lawn that grows back every day. Oh wait this isn't the 50s most people have these things.

Lukario
Bobby Bouche, what did mama tell you about cell phones? Cell phones are the devil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
lilz020
Points: 716, Level: 14 Points: 716, Level: 14 Points: 716, Level: 14

lilz020 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't agree, for sure. If I had a kid (and very soon I will) I'll ensure that it won't be exposed to a lot of this media. She'll/He'll be watching movies on the VHS and DVD player etc...I'm not saying they're not allowed to watch TV, it's just that those ads and new dumb TV shows are so influential...And a laptop in my daughter's room, not a chance.
Closed Thread