Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Toy Story SNES
Toy Story SNES
To Infinity, and Beyond(?)
Published by Brandyn
06-18-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Star Man Toy Story SNES

The occasion for this is naturally due to the upcoming long awaited third chapter in the Toy Story saga. My tribute is doing a classic review on the Toy Story game for Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis (though my version is Super Nintendo).

Toy Story was actually my first Super NES game I played and owned (yes I said my first game ever was Super Mario World, but it was actually Toy Story). So does one of the best animated films of all time have a great game to match? Well....sort of.

Of course, you play the whole game as Woody, and your attack is using the pullstring in his back as a whip towards enemies. The game is basically your standard platformer I guess, though some levels require good driving and piloting prowess, and even stealth. Platforming is the main thing you do, but there are some other elements of gameplay to mix it up, such as a first person mode, a mode where you race on RC, and so on.

So you might be thinking "what the heck kind of missions could be in a game based on a Disney film about talking toys?" Well you'll have to herd the toys into their spots before Andy arrives, battle Buzz Lightyear at the Gas Station, sneak around Pizza Planet in the Drinking Cup disguise, and even save Buzz from the evil claw machine. You'll even encounter Sid trying to burn you with a magnifying glass.

The controls were fine, and I found the "whip" to be a very effective weapon, so I was pleased with the concepts. The only place where the controls were downright awful was during the infamous RC missions. These have got to be the worst controls I have ever experienced, and only proves driving is better with a joystick.
The missions may or may not sound interesting based on how I described them, but they aren't half bad actually. Some even have a time limit.

The graphics for the Super Nintendo are amazing though. They're pretty well detailed for an SNES game. It almost seems 2.5D.

The music is pretty catchy, especially on levels like "Run Rex Run." No complaints here. Like Doom, the music and sound is particularly enjoyable on the Super Nintendo, as I have seen the Genesis version , and the music/sound for the Sega Genesis version sounds nearly 8-bit. But like most other games, the "quality" per se of the Super Nintendo's music surpassed that of the Sega Genesis. Not to say that Genesis games had bad music, on the contrary, but the clarity of it was not as advanced as SNES, still sounded rather 8 bit-ish.

The game has medium length. The difficulty of the game can be set, and for a young player it can be a challenge. Some spots can be challenging, but a good, fair challenge so that helps the game's score, because I love challenge. Like I said, it's mainly a platformer where you simply go right until you reach the end in most cases, and then there are driving levels (with horrendous controls though), a first person exploration level " Really Inside the Claw Machine" and even flight. There are a few boss fights as well, so it has all the ingredients of a standard platformer. So all in all, I would definately use this as one of the better examples of a movie game.

Overall Grade: B.

Cheat: On the first level, go to Andy's dresser. Stand on the drawer with the orange sock sticking out and press Down for a set amount of time. Your Hit Point star will start spinning, and you will be invincible to damage from enemies for the rest of the game [however I promise I did not use this cheat the first time through, it wasn't until after I mastered it did I discover this.] From what I have been told, this cheat also works for the Sega Genesis version. This will not protect you from pitfalls though of course.
Published by
The Gentleman
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn
Sponsored Links
By Brandyn on 06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Comments and feedback welcome. If only I had the cash to see this at the theatre.
By Keyman4 on 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Another great KG Review
9.25/10
By Brandyn on 06-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman4 View Post
Another great KG Review
9.25/10
Thanks for reading, that's a rather generous score.
By Stapler on 06-19-2010, 05:52 AM
I don't like when you keep bumping your thread.
By Beasty on 06-19-2010, 05:55 AM
HWell nice review, i think i can imagen the game pretty well. but i don't think that i'm going to try it, it don't really look like a game i would like, i give you a 9/10 for the review keep the good work on
By Brandyn on 06-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
HWell nice review, i think i can imagen the game pretty well. but i don't think that i'm going to try it, it don't really look like a game i would like, i give you a 9/10 for the review keep the good work on
Thanks.

Actually the game is really not bad. I know we tend to stay away from movie games, especially by Disney Interactive, but this one is actually not bad. I actually like it. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but it wouldn't be a bad addition to your SNES/Genesis collection if you ever came across it.
By Beasty on 06-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
Thanks.

Actually the game is really not bad. I know we tend to stay away from movie games, especially by Disney Interactive, but this one is actually not bad. I actually like it. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but it wouldn't be a bad addition to your SNES/Genesis collection if you ever came across it.
indeed i have a bad expirience with disney games. but i do have a genesis. maybe if i ever find the game in stock for less money. i would try it.
By Brandyn on 06-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
indeed i have a bad expirience with disney games. but i do have a genesis. maybe if i ever find the game in stock for less money. i would try it.
Indeed, as well you should.
By Wiidude on 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Wiidude thought your review was great. You going to be reviewing Toy Story 3 for the Wii?
Comment

Tags
super nintendo, toy story, toy story game