Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
The Karate Kid ("The Kung Fu Kid" international title)
Published by Brandyn
06-28-2010
Author review
Movie RatingN/A
Average N/A%

You're probably expecting me to whine and whine and moan about how much I hated this film, since I was the main one on here voicing my disgust and trying to persuade everyone not to see this. So, I'm here to gladly swallow my pride and admit I liked it. There we go.

We all know the story of the original. Boy moves cross country (or in this case, across countries) boy meets new people. Boy gets his ass beat. Boy meets Karate instructor who agrees to instruct him.

The reason I was so adamant about disliking this movie, was because I was afraid it was trying to intentionally trample all over the classic and steal its thunder, as dumb as that may sound. But no....I didn't get that vibe at all when I was actually watching it. It took the gist of the movie along with the character arcs, and it sort of told its own version of the tale while paying homage to its inspiration.

You're probably thinking, "well for someone who hated the idea of this movie so much, I wonder why he went to see it in the first place?"
I was dragged to it, I swear. You can say "Yeah right," all you want but it's true. I had already seen Toy Story 3, and then my mom had really wanted to see it, so she dragged me to it and I was really not anticipating it, but that disolved when as the movie went on.

This new action packed reboot takes the original and improves over it greatly. The action is more intense and brutal, and the performances I thought were done rather well. I could actually feel the emotion in it for the most part, and it came off as more than what I made it out to be, an over the top rehash that only wants to make a quick buck. The fight scenes are longer and more brutal, and it actually kept me on the edge of my seat, and overall there are hardly any dull moments. Jackie Chan probably did his best acting ever that I have seen....and I even liked Jaden Smith yes. The two also had a great on screen chemistry in the same was Daniel San and Miyagi did in the 80's counterpart.

Like you may be hearing everyone else say, the cinematography was wonderful, with some great shots of China landmarks and the great wall. The production value was also great, and you get the feeling they put in some genuine time and effort into this.

Overall, it's a film I definately reccomend. I guess as an alternative if you're "too old to see Toy Story 3 in public." Charming, good cinematography and production value, and intense and exciting action sequences.
Sponsored Links
By Mobius on 06-29-2010, 03:00 AM
You know the original Karate Kid was just "Rocky" for teenagers. How is the action being more brutal an "improvement"?
By Pokeman on 06-29-2010, 03:03 AM
this movie was stupid, the girl wasn't hot.
By Brandyn on 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
You know the original Karate Kid was just "Rocky" for teenagers. How is the action being more brutal an "improvement"?
Don't get this confused with senseless violence to keep an idiot happy. I mean the fight scenes were well choreographed and exciting to watch, which they were in the original but even more so here.
By Mobius on 06-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Game View Post
Don't get this confused with senseless violence to keep an idiot happy. I mean the fight scenes were well choreographed and exciting to watch, which they were in the original but even more so here.
You didn't answer my question. How is that an improvement?
By Wiidude on 06-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Wiidude has a strong distaste for this movie. It is one of those movies that should never have been made.
Closed Review