Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct
Ultra! Ultra! Ultra! - Cam3ron36
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
10-14-2010
Author review
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 84%
Killer Instinct

KILLER INSTINCT
~ By Cam3ron36

Ultra...! Ultra...! Ultra...!

In contrast to all of today's 3d aspect fighters out there this may look like it lacks the skills necessary to be a brilliant game. Does that mean it's true? Can you continue to judge a book by it's cover, turn your head and complain that it's no street fighter? Hopefully some light can be shed onto this dark fighter. Rare, in their golden age released another brilliant idea into the market to add to their Ultra combo of already great games such as the Donkey Kong Country series. That game being Killer Instinct!

In the spotlight for this reading is what I recognize as a game that simply went that extra mile. I do not like fighting games, however, I'm reviewing a fighting game I like? Intriguing. What that means may be obvious at this point but I'd like to take a moment to look at this in all aspects, in all angles. Playing in the background now is the main theme from this game on CD. That's right, this game's music was so popular that it was put on a CD and packed in the box along with the Killer Instinct cartridge. Clever. Never have I seen this done any other times that I can recall and it ain't a bad touch. Not by a long shot. The music, while not as good in the game is still really catchy and captures the essence of what was capable for a Super Nintendo soundtrack.

To be blunt, the graphics aren't high quality; it's Super Nintendo, what do you expect? They get the point across and did a decent job in doing so, in contrast to the arcade version it isn't too impressive, however. When do arcade ports ever really reach the heights of the almighty arcade games themselves back in the day? That's what I thought. One minor thing that actually happens to be the most major graphical difference between the two games, is the Super Nintendo's lack of full-motion video for the small cut scenes or when you knock your opponent off the building your fighting on. I'm serious. This cut scene is pathetic on the Super Nintendo (falling off building), yet I still love to see it. Shows just how much they tried with the graphics. It is average and very playable though, and that is the important thing.

Lacking the skills to win in this game is not an issue, it has 5 difficulties offering a good AI experience no matter how good you are. Offers a reliable replay value no matter how good you have gotten. The single-player is pretty much the story mode no matter what. You fight your way up the ranks randomly and fight all the other characters in the game. If you happen to be on a harder difficulty you get to fight the secret character 'Eyedol' who has 3 heads and is somewhat retarded. I mean seriously. If you listen carefully this character says "Play" whenever he's winning, a fight to the death is all a big game to him. Consequently you have to knock him in the lava to win, or at least that's what the cool people do. Playing on these harder difficulties poses new heights in which you must conquer and more fights. Sometimes hidden maps on the harder difficulties. All around a sweet setup.

While the single-player is nifty and an all-out good time the real good times are with a friend or a brother. Yes, I have played this many times with my brothers and they always win... They were always much better than me but even I'm quite good, at least good enough for the first 2 difficulties which is good for me. Most people learn almost all of the characters like my brothers did and can remember the controls to each like riding a freaking bike. I however know 2 characters and often forget vital moves... Having played this a lot recently though I've mastered those 2 characters and for that I am proud. Along comes Snes Net play and I'm given the chance to play this game against people I can beat. Both Rin and RPG_Dude have faced me several times and faced the consequences. What happens next is they play it for a few days and suddenly they are whipping out 25 hit combos on me and it's either a close match or I'm absolutely owned by them.

that's how badly I used to beat them

All in all, Killer Instinct has a lot to offer for its time and that has to say something since I don't like fighters and I like this game. I will have to say that I love this game despite how difficult the learning curve is for me; I mastered my characters Cinder & Glacius. The controls are the same as any fighter so it really isn't confusing. Killer instinct is gold and perhaps that is why the n64 one was titled KI: Gold? Killer Instinct rules!

For reading, all comments, suggestions, etc. are well appre
ciated.
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-15-2010, 02:46 AM
hahaha, basically the exact opposite opinion expressed in my old review of this game. Good review, though.
By Rin on 10-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Damn your auto-play videos!

Anyways, decent review.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 84%
Thanks, I know. You gave it like 5.0 or something... :-/

I can't use MS word anymore so this may not have turned out as I liked...
By Rin on 10-15-2010, 02:59 AM
Oh well. To each his own.
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
Thanks, I know. You gave it like 5.0 or something... :-/

I can't use MS word anymore so this may not have turned out as I liked...
http://www.openoffice.org/product/
By Rin on 10-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Open Office is nice, or if you really need something, just go find MS Office...for t3h torrentz.

but maybe not.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 84%
@SGC64: I may look into that but I just need to find my microsoft office disc for the cd key which I hope it's on there. I just used the disc weeks ago to install... I can't find it now, lol.

@Rin, autoplay works good for these reviews. As long as it's relevent and not kermit the frog spazzing, lol.
By Rin on 10-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah, god forbid you have that idiotic song playing XD
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 84%
lol, I don't know why that makes me laugh so hard.

@Rin, Get KI back and learn to suck at it again :P

RPG_Dude & I played this today again, I actually won like 4 of the 12 matches
Comment