Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Considered by many to be the greatest game in history. Is it?
Published by Mr. Hudson
10-15-2010
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Link Old The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

My first review, hope you like it!

Ocarina of Time is, without a doubt, Nintendo's crowning achievement. Even though it was rushed, it still found a way to be widely considered the greatest game in history. It combines an amazing story and gameplay with incredible graphics for the time, and does a fantastic job with adding a few simpler RPG elements to a 3rd person adventure game.

Graphics/Sound
Rating: 9.5

Again, the graphics were way ahead of their time, especially compared to other N64 games. They definitely showed off the console's capabilities. Everything is smooth and beautifully done. One thing that I liked the most is the luster that all the items gave off when first acquired.

All the scenery and landscape looked great, and the daytime and night time, though they only last a few minutes, transition smoothly into eachother. One thing I must say bothered me though, is the NPCs. A lot of them look distorted and weird for just normal people, but it's more humorous than bothering. All of the enemies and creatures look great. All the animations and special effects such as fire and water motions work well, and all the movements made by Link and the other NPCs/Enemies are perfectly fluent. Overall, besides some obvious clipping (It's a N64 game, how could you really avoid that?), the graphics are amazing.

The sound is fantastic. The music is very nostalgic for me, and is beautiful as well. Every town has it's own distinct feel to it, mostly produced by the music. Kakariko is an old, slow town:

while castletown is upbeat and cheery:

The sound effects all fit what they represented perfectly; Adult and Kid Link's grunts and screams, sword slashing, arrows, etc.
The one annoying sound is the reminder that you're low on health, as it usually is in most games. This is especially true if you're not near any pots or plants to potentially give you hearts, or if you're in a boss fight, where it just puts stress on you and affects your fighting.

Controls
Rating: 10.0

The control in this game is fantastic. Completely flawless.
The items are in perfect reach with the C arrow hot keys, the combat buttons all work quite well, and the ability to lock on is incredibly helpful, especially when firing your bow, slingshot, or hookshot.
Other than that, there isn't much else to say about the controls besides they're perfectly fluent and they work.

Overall Story/Gameplay
Rating: 9.5

The story basically goes like this. You are a reincarnation of a legendary hero who has been chosen by the Deku tree to become the hero of time and to save the Princess Zelda. To do this, you must acquire 3 spiritual stones to open the door of time to the sacred realm, where you can obtain the Master Sword. When you pull the sword however, you are too young to be the Hero of Time. So your spirit is sealed in the sacred realm for seven years. When you awaken, you are sent by one of the seven sages to awaken the other sages so you can defeat Ganondorf.
The story, while extremely linear, is creative and fun. You go to 5 different temples, all with a different theme, to defeat a monster and awaken a sage.
Fortunately, there are other things to do and sidequests besides the story. Shooting games, heart pieces, bottles, and other little things you can do to get bigger bomb bags, quivers, and wallets. Unfortunately, there isn't too many sidequests, so once you've beaten the game, there's not much else to do besides collect golden skulltulas and get all the hearts.
The overall gameplay is incredible. Everything works and makes sense, and is just so much fun. There are very few to no issues in the game, which is surprising considering it was produced in so little time. The replay-ability is extremely high, even though it's just the same game over and over. It really shows just how great this game is. Most everyone has played and beaten it several times, at least on the forum, and the fact that many people would sit down and play it again just blows my mind. Nintendo really had a fantastic game here. And I haven't even gotten into the fun parts yet!

Glitches/Exploits
Rating: 20/10

This is by far, my favorite aspect of this game. The fact that it was thrown together so quickly left quite a few bugs. But they are so much fun and add hours onto the gameplay. There are glitches to get infinite Golden Skulltula tokens, turn any item into a bottle, glitch out of maps, have no sword, and many, many more.
One glitch however that isn't really on the internet, is the ability to have two extra hearts. It's incredibly complicated, and I don't even remember how to begin it, but I know I've done it before.
The down side about this though, is that all of the most famous and fun glitches can only be found on the gold cart, which was the first version of the game. The grey carts are updated and some of the glitches have been removed. Luckily, I was able to pick up a gold cart on Ebay.

Finally, I give this game an overall rating of 9.5. It's definitely my favorite game of all time, but it's not perfect. I personally don't believe any game should receive a grade of 10.0, that is, except Superman 64.
Spoiler
JK

OoT is the best on the N64, and the best that Nintendo has put out. I think we've all played it since we were kids, and we will continue to play it for years to come.
Published by
The Floydian
Mr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really nice
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-15-2010, 10:11 PM
It's a decent review, but I don't know if I would ever give a game a perfect score. To give a game to 10 is to say it could not in any way be any better than it is, and this cannot be said about any game. Not a bad job, though.

EDIT: nvm, you only gave the controls a 10, sorry.
By Final Flourish on 10-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I bought the gamecube version of the game, so I had no glitches to exploit. Just for that I give your review a 2/10. But hey, it's better then what superman 64 got.

Spoiler
You know I keed, good review. Quite the game you picked to review though.
By Rin on 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM
The formatting is making my damn eyes hurt. Otherwise, it's not a bad first review.
By Final Flourish on 10-15-2010, 11:12 PM
I looked deeper into your review and have this to say:

Your story is a tad off. He isn't a reincarnation of a legendary hero, and the game is basically just a recreation of a link to the past. Some of the ratings look a little higher then they should be, not like it matters. But the way you described the game seemed like everything in OoT was A-OK, which is far from true. For one, the annoying water temple. Two, camera angles were atrocious at times, but it was a common problem among N64 games so eh. And three, redeads were too scary.
By Mr. Hudson on 10-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Forum bud View Post
I looked deeper into your review and have this to say:

Your story is a tad off. He isn't a reincarnation of a legendary hero, and the game is basically just a recreation of a link to the past. Some of the ratings look a little higher then they should be, not like it matters. But the way you described the game seemed like everything in OoT was A-OK, which is far from true. For one, the annoying water temple. Two, camera angles were atrocious at times, but it was a common problem among N64 games so eh. And three, redeads were too scary.
It's all my opinion Bud...
I put a note originally at the top stating that but it looks like it was removed..
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-15-2010, 11:16 PM
This is why I stopped using numbers in my reviews altogether...
By Final Flourish on 10-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hudson View Post
It's all my opinion Bud...
I put a note originally at the top stating that but it looks like it was removed..
Probably because opinions and reviews don't go together well, or at least not in NFF.
We still frendz4evr tho?
By Mr. Hudson on 10-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Yus, LUVU4EVRBUDDY
By Rin on 10-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Odd, considering a review is pretty much a glorified opinion/personal telling of your experience with the game.
Comment