Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Brutal Mario
Brutal Mario
Published by Alice
10-24-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Brutal Mario

With Lunar magic released, the japanese tend to make some neat hacks. Kaizo was one, and now we have a great chocolate hack, Brutal Mario, made my Carol.

This game may be a Super Mario World hack, but it is very different in terms of graphics, gameplay mechanics, and enemies, as well as bosses.

Let's start with the graphics.
Nearly every level has updated graphics from different games, such as Yoshi's Island, kirby, or even Secret of Mana.
This shows how far SMW hacking has come, and what one can really do with resources they are given, or even make. They also give the levels a different feel than that of the regular SMW.

Sadly, this game lacked any new music. it kept the regular Super Mario World Music. This was sad, seeing as the game had so many external applications, though it did keep the feel of SMW. It's not a total loss altogether, but it could have been better. :P

Now, what really gives this hack it's fame, is the bosses. This hack has 20+ bosses, some stemming from different games, as well as unique Koopaling fights. Sadly, most of these bosses are fairly repetitive, and easy at that.
However, there is at least a noticable amount of effort put into these bosses, and the graphics of them keep the gamers attention.

The gameplay is relatively the same, but is changed in some areas.
Some levels have creative ASM that give the player new gaming possibilities.
Whether it be a starship that Mario must navigate, to getting shot out of barrel canons, or shooting Ringman's ring, this game will surely keep many people's attention.
Sadly, the levels are fairly linear, and are fairly simple, so the hack isn't much of a challenge.

anyway, this hack has it's ups and downs, and overall, it is worth checking out.
Sadly, it is incomplete. It only has 2 demos, and a final boss, which is included in a separate ROM. So no Brutal Mario ROM has the complete hack, but still should be checked out.

Alice gives Brutal Mario: 8/10
Published by
----
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Alice
Sponsored Links
By Final Flourish on 10-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Good review. And you're right, playing this hacked version of the game with the same music of SMW wouldn't feel right at all.
By Rin on 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM
LMAO, that whole thing looks ridiculous. Decent review though.
By Alice on 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
well thank you.
And also, the game's ridiculousness is nothing compared to the VIP series. XD
By Rin on 10-25-2010, 09:17 PM
If that is the case, then I'd rather not know what kind of insanity that holds XD
By Alice on 10-25-2010, 09:30 PM
good
i'll review it XD
By Keyman4 on 12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
a review of a hack? seriously?
By Rai17 on 12-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh lord this is gonna haunt my dreams..
By Alice on 12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman4 View Post
a review of a hack? seriously?
yes, I'm super serial.