Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Hereafter
Hereafter
After what?
Published by Brandyn
10-26-2010
Author review
Movie RatingN/A
Average N/A%
Hereafter

Once again, we have a movie with good potiental and good ideas....but badly executed.

First and foremost, the trailer is very misleading; it makes it look as though it will be some thriller with some big supernatural problem that must be solved....but no. It is about Matt Damon moping and eating alone in his apartment.

The plot.....is everywhere. The movie is literally all over the place, as it follows the stories of three people in three different countries. I suppose it juggles these three plotlines fairly well, but there is really no connection between them, so it almost feels like three short films all mixed and mashed into one feature film.The stories do overlap in the very end, but it is anticlimactic nevertheless, and the ending was really cliche, and half baked.

Matt Damon plays our American character, who has the ability to perform real psychic readings. However, he views this as a curse that has damned his life to dullness and solitude. This sounds like an interesting concept that you could easily have a field day with, but nothing comes of it;

Througout the film, it's like you keep waiting for the plot to show up, but intsead, it just permanently feels as though the film is stuck in Act 1. None of the characters are really deep, nor do their character arks develop throughout the movie. And I am going to tell you that the Tsunami scene in the trailer, is probably the most exciting moment of the whole movie.....the problem is that it is the very first thing that happens, so there is not even anything to look forward to.

All in all, I'm afraid Mr. Eastwood dropped the ball on this one, and it's not exactly a must see. There are some enjoyable performances, and it does have some attempts at emotion some of which do work, so it may be worth checking out, but there is nothing really "moral wise" to be extracted from it. Not to say that it is bad just because there is no moral per se....but it really will not envoke much thought (or any at all really)

Overall Grade: C+
Sponsored Links
By Rin on 10-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Interesting. I wanted to have a look-see at it, but...

Well, I probably still will. I like movies like that.
By Dudebro on 10-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Member reviews
Movie Rating
10%10%10%
Average 10%
I think you're being generous with that C+. I was stunned at how poor this movie was. It isn't the worst movie I've ever seen but it's bland and uneventful throughout. Like you said I kept waiting for the actual plot to develop and it just never did. That tacked on ending was very anticlimatic and I even had to ask my gf if that made sense to her because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was dumbfounded at how moronic that scene was. Even the music was lame. I really tried to give it the benefit of the doubt but the more I think about it the more I dislike it. No one should waste their money to see it in theaters. Don't give Eastwood the false impression that it was worth making, rent it if anything.
By Mascara on 10-26-2010, 07:29 AM
it progressed in the same boring way as Seven Pounds but without the message that made it seem worth it

the acting in it was fine, though. they did the best they could, and i'll admit that the characters were quite decently portrayed
By Dry Bowser on 10-26-2010, 12:18 PM
not a very good movie.
By Brandyn on 10-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midna View Post
it progressed in the same boring way as Seven Pounds but without the message that made it seem worth it
Bingo, that's what I meant, it progressed slowly but there was no climax whatsoever or a message, therefore it provokes no real thought and makes one feel like they've just wasted two hours. But at least Seven Pounds had some type of message (albeit, a controversial one that many viewed as the glorification of suicide.)

@ Dudebro: True, I thought perhaps a C+ was being a little too lenient, but I suppose the extra points was for the fact that they had some solid ideas, and it might have even looked really good on paper; but sometimes you do have to picture what it will look like on the big screen, and adjust the script. I think Eastwood was trying [perhaps a little too hard] to be profound but....ended up with gibberish....it feels more like something an amateur film school student would submit for a project, as it had no clear direction and yes the story jumped all over the place. And the ending made everyone go "WTF", it was just sloppy and anticlimactic as pinpointed. But it's not the worst movie you'll ever see.

The problem was that you go into it expecting something really either thrilling or thought provoking, because the trailer really mis-advertises it. It makes it look like one of those Knowing type movies with some big supernatural problem looming that must be solved.....but not really.
By Mario on 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I have yet to see this but after reading the reviews not sure that I want too.
By Brandyn on 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
It has no point or message and the ending was a letdown. Not one of Eastwood's better films.
Closed Review