Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Alice
----
Points: 32,751, Level: 100 Points: 32,751, Level: 100 Points: 32,751, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 PSN ID: ArktikAlice Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
What is Halloween?

For a lot of us, it's FREE CANDY!
But do you know where it originated from?
Today, it is known in America, Canada, Ireland The UK and various other places as a holiday involving costumes, pumpkin carving, parties, pranks, scary story telling and most of all, Trick or Treating.
However, this is the commercialized version of Celtic and Christian festivals. Weird eh?

The Celtic folk recognized this day as Samhain, The end of the year's "Light Half", and beginning of the "Dark Half." They believed that on this day, the border between the spirit world and the real world became thin, thus allowing happy yaycake spirits and RAWR spirit to enter our world.
To scare away evil spirits, families would wear costumes and masks, thus getting rid of evil spirits.
Not only was Samhain a way to remove spirits, it was the time to check on food supplies, and slaughter cattle for winter food supplies. Hearths were lit by bonfires, and cattle bones were discarded in the flames. At times, some families would walk between 2 bonfires built close together to cleanse themselves of evil. I think fire burns lust, amirite?

Now then, Trick-or-treating is an odd tradition, but it has it's set of roots.
Now, trick-or-treating may have derived from souling, a medieval practice where poor people went to houses on Hallowmas, November 1st, and in exchange, would pray for the dead on All Souls Day, November 2nd. The Costume part came from the Celtic traditions, and these 2 merged to become Trick-or-Treating, wearing costumes, and begging for candy.
As if it wasn't obvious, the term means "Give me treat, or I will pull a prank on you."
Jack-o-lanterns derived from Celtic traditions. Turnips were hollowed out and had faces carved in them to ward off evil spirits. In other places, pumpkins were used because they are more readily available, and because of their large size, are easier to carve. A bigger target to stab says me. X3
Now, the carving of pumpkins was used primarily as a sign of harvest, but became an actual part of Halloween awhile later.

----------

well, i'm done being smart for now. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Mascara
Back again again
Points: 1,946, Level: 26 Points: 1,946, Level: 26 Points: 1,946, Level: 26

My Mood: Flirty
Mascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award 
Total Awards: 2

halloween is a supr srs satanic holiday where ppl worship teh devils
Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Alice
----
Points: 32,751, Level: 100 Points: 32,751, Level: 100 Points: 32,751, Level: 100

Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 PSN ID: ArktikAlice Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
Funny how some Christians treat it that way, when it's partially a Christian holiday XD

Quote:
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,448, Level: 72 Points: 12,448, Level: 72 Points: 12,448, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
It was stolen from the Mexicans who called it Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). That's where all of the ghosts and spooky stuff comes from.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Hey, I learned what I knew from reading a damn Wikipedia article! Still, some of that I couldn't find. Nice info.

Anyways, I find Halloween to be no different from other days of my life. I eat candy and do nothing :l

Last edited by Rin; 10-30-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Alice
----

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

they are similar, yes

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Mascara
Back again again
Points: 1,946, Level: 26 Points: 1,946, Level: 26 Points: 1,946, Level: 26

My Mood: Flirty
Mascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award 
Total Awards: 2

it's a combination of a lot of things.

if it has changed that much in the last say, 500 years, imagine how much it would have changed in another 500 years...

children dismount their robobear and hop three times towards someone's doorstep. the child then emits a loud screech to get the householders attention. before the patron answers the door, the child must hop another three times on the other foot. the householder then answers the door and points towards true north, and they both do a little jig. the child gets back on his robobear and goes to the next house
Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Alice
----

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Children need to stop falling into the communist trap of friendship, caring and leading a healthy lifestyle.
They need to learn to knock on the doors of strangers and demand sugary sweets all night long.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
Anonymous
Logical Douche
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1

My Mood: Thinking
Anonymous has a spectacular aura aboutAnonymous has a spectacular aura about

Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I remember that. One of the few things he ever did that I liked. Also makes me want to watch that movie again. I have the VHS of it still laying around somewhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
celtic, halloween, spooky