Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Harvest Moon 64
Harvest Moon 64
Meanwhile, back on the ranch...
Published by Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
11-06-2010
Author review
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
60%60%60%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
30%30%30%
Average 61%
Harvest Moon 64

Ah, farming. It may not sound too entertaining, or you may say "What were they thinking?" when you look at a farming simulator. I too thought the same thing when I first received this game. Now, ten years later, it is one of my favorites that I come back to again and again.

This game, of course, is an account of one boy's decision to be a farmer. At the beginning, your character attends his grandfather's funeral, then informs his father he will be taking over the farm. He has a lot of work to do, friends to make, and women to hit on...

The graphics on this game are a bit stale and fuzzy, but what else can you expect from a Nintendo 64 cartridge? At the time, I'm sure they were decent if not impressive. Each "space" I call them, are sort of a square with rectangular spots where you can advance to another place. Around the edges of this space is just a black abyss, making the game feel kind of like it's night, all the time. The character designs are very cute, and the animals look sort of cartoonish in appearance.

The sound can get quite annoying. Every season the music changes, and stays the same tune for the remainder of the season. Although annoying, it's highly addictive. My friends and myself alike end up humming the tune after a few game days of play. The animals repeat the same sound over and over again, which gets kind of stale as well. The tunes are catchy, but get repetitive and boring after a while, and are just something you learn to put up with or ignore. As well as animal sounds, all other sounds are very static, such as walking or using tools.

The storyline is decent, you are given a mission to complete, which is restore your grandfather's farm he left behind. You must grow crops, raise animals, make money, find a wife, and prosper in your new life. The game gives you five brides to choose from, each with a unique personality and certain strengths and weaknesses. For example, Ann is good with animals but can't cook. Not a big selection, it gets old after a few replays. The thing I find fun is trying out new combinations of growing crops and raising the animals. Throughout the game year, there are several festivals that offer amusing cut scenes to attend. After two years of gameplay, dad returns to evaluate your progress, at this point is where the game ends. You can continue to play if you wish, but at this point it's open-ended and goes on indefinitely.

There are some flaws in gameplay, because this game is full of glitches, as most early games are. Some are amusing, some actually helpful, others annoying. For example, if you marry a certain girl in the village named Karen, and speak with another girl Popuri, she will sometimes say "How is Karen? Are you being nice to him?" Note that she implies Karen is a male.
There are also glitches where you can get rid of your dog or horse, and even steal wine from the winery. One of my favorite glitches is if you hold your dog and repeatedly talk to Karen, hear heart meter will go up to maximum in one game day. The glitches are one of my favorite things about the game.

In my opinion, American translators did not put much work into this game. There are several misspelling and typos in text, and some glitches with dialogue boxes. Also, some characters say things that do not belong to them, but rather belong to another character in the game. Also, in the Japanese version, there was a channel 4 available on you TV set, which was a variety channel. This was missing in the American version. This makes me feel that not much effort went into this version, which is disappointing, it had potential to be much better.

Overall, I enjoyed this game. I found it endearing and highly addictive. If you enjoy life simulators, this is a great game for you. It's simple, easy to pick up, and quite hard to put down.

Published by
Pink Pearl Voice
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Sponsored Links
By AlloftheAbove on 11-06-2010, 05:36 AM
This game doesn't seem so absurd nowadays, with the masses upon masses of farming simulators floating around the web.
Nonetheless, this game is still a staple for this emerging sub-genre.
By SuperGamecube64 on 11-06-2010, 12:59 PM
haha, it's a lot better than my first review was.

Edit: lmao, Natsume misspelled their name on the title screen!
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 11-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I like these type of strategy games. I own the first GC game of this series and it's all I've really played from the series which is alright. The GC one offers a lot and I come back to it quite often.

I'm honestly surprised, You did a very good job for a first review. I was expecting like 3 short paragraphs explaining controls and acting like an instruction manual, but no. It was very good. That being said you mock the typos which is funny, however you have your own typos :P

Quote:
at this point it's open-ended and goes on indefinitely.
I've been wondering about this in the GC one. I want it to go on indefinitely. I think I finally got to the fourth chapter in the GC one which took years of playing it every so often. That is the reason I don't want it to end, so much hard work and all that...

I also heard the N64 version of this game is quite rare, I've considered buying it before. However, the one time I saw it at a pawn shop it was like 50 bucks.

But yeah, very good job for a first (at least on this site) of course it has things that could be better but I am impressed.
Comment

Tags
game review, harvest moon, hm64