Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Grand Slam Tennis
Grand Slam Tennis
Published by Mascara
11-22-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Grand Slam Tennis

the era of Motion Plus is finally upon us. was the wait really worth it? can that little square chunk of mystery just attach itself to our Wii remotes and solve all our troubles? in most cases, yes. it's great. in the case of tiger woods, you might as well rename it 'wii 2'. it feels that different. but what about a sport more complicated, locomotion-wise? well, the results aren't as good, i'm afraid...

racket raaaaaaaaaaaaage!

i'll smash that lob in a minute, though. first off, let's talk about what Grand Slam Tennis does right. graphically, EA understands that the Wii isn't the best at hurling around polygons, and so they've wisely gone for a more cartoony, cute look. don't let this fool you however, as Grand Slam Tennis has all the difficulty and trimmings of a serious tennis game, including a create-a-character option for an in-depth career mode, a slew of multiplayer party games, and a truly smashing online mode. the online multiplayer in particular impressed me with its addictive new country-vs-country mode where you can face off against worldwide opponents and score points for your country.

kicking arse aside, what causes Grand Slam to serve on the wrong side of the line? the Motion Plus controls, while still being amazing, can be inconsistent during crucial matches. if you score a point and don't hold the Wii remote at a neutral position during the replay, you can find yourself being out of sync with your on-screen persona.

my main gripe is that the game doesn't feature true one-to-one tracking of my racket hand (and by the looks of things online, theirs too) - and i know it's possible, because we've seen it in games such as Wii Sports Resort's swordplay mode, Red Steel 2, and Tiger Woods.

but despite these annoyances, Grand Slam Tennis still comes highly recommended, both as an epic party game and a super-fun, super-challenging single player experience.

thanks for reading my review. kthxbai :3
Published by
Back again again
Mascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to behold
Sponsored Links
By AlloftheAbove on 11-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Very good review, Midna. However, I'm not sure that you've displayed all the positives about this game, because after reading the review, it doesn't sound like the game deserves the 'highly-recommended' status.
By SuperGamecube64 on 11-29-2010, 01:23 AM

I lold SO hard when I saw that.
By xXDaKidXx on 11-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Looks like he's powering up to 9000!
By SuperGamecube64 on 11-29-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diniro331 View Post
Looks like he's powering up to 9000!
If I only I knew how to shoop, LMFAO
By Final Flourish on 11-29-2010, 03:23 AM
The review is genius.
Honestly, I really liked it!