Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Game Guides

Notices

Game Guides Game Guides and FAQ

Closed Article

Article Tools
Can't Let you Brawl that, StarFox! (Super smash Bros. Brawl Wolf Guide)
Published by Brandyn
12-22-2010
Can't Let you Brawl that, StarFox! (Super smash Bros. Brawl Wolf Guide)

I was pleasantly surprised to see this StarFox villain join the Brawl. In Melee, I was a Captain Falcon player with Sheik as my secondary. Since both of those characters were horribly nerfed for Brawl though, I had to search for a new one. One day I unlocked Wolf O'Donnell, and the rest is history. After seeing MenceandFlow's C. Falcon guide, I was inspired to do one for my main, because I figure there aren't enough fellow Wolf players.

Wolf can really kick butt. He does have a learning curve, but once you do learn him, you will whoop serious ass. Wolf is not only very agile, but he has power to boot. Both of these attributes make him a good character in both 1 on 1 and 4 player Brawls. Wolf is pretty much on the border between mediumweight and heavyweight.

Pros

-Well balanced
-Good ground game
-Decent aerial game
-Good at camping with Blaster
-Spammable Reflector
-Forward Smash has huge range and is powerful
-Great down smash
-Viscious Tilts, mainly his forward and up tilts
-Good neutral A
-Can wall jump
-Coolest taunts in the game
-StarWolf is way cooler than StarFox and they need their own game already.
-Wolf does not let Starbucks brew that.

Cons:
The major downfall to Wolf is his horrible DI (directional input), meaning when he is in "helpless mode" after performing his Up+B, he has almost no ability to control where he lands. So if you fall short of the ledge, you die, as he will fall beneath it before he can grab it.

Overall, Wolf's recovery is mediocre at best, because after it's over, you stop in your tracks and plummet straight down. You are better off using the Side+B Wolf Illusion which will let you grab the ledge. Also, Wolf is okay at killing. He can certainly rack up damage, but rarely can he actually kill someone before they get to 100% But all in all, Wolf's recovery is the only thing. Other than that, like Mario Wolf has no obvious weaknessess....but he does have obvious strengths

Moveset: Can't let you Clone that, StarFox!

Many automatically write Wolf off as just another Fox clone. The only thing about Wolf that was cloned from Fox were his specials, but even those were made unique. Wolf's smashes and everything else are his though.

Neutral A Combo: Wolf slashes two times with his claws and bites the third time. This is an excellent jab combo, comes out quick, puts the hurt on and gets opponents out of Wolf's face.

Forward Tilt: Wolf takes a step forward and slashes his claw in front of him. This move has two hit boxes. The initial hit, and then it hits a second time. Great for poking shields, and at really high percentages it can kill.

Upward Tilt: Wolf kicks his leg high into the air. Not a bad tilt, and quicker than his upsmash if you catch an enemy trying to come at you from above.

Down tilt: Wolf kicks his leg out in front of him. It pops enemies into the air, setting up nicely for aerial combos

Aerials: I will be the one to take you UP

With Wolf, aerial combat isn't exactly his specialty, but he can hold his own should he be attacked in the air.

Neutral Aerial: Peppy tells Wolf to do a barrel roll. Wolf obeys, and sort of curls into a ball and spins in the air.

Forward Aerial: Wolf slashes in front of him. This can actually kill at higher percents, as the knockback is fairly decent.

Backward Aerial: Wolf kicks his leg out behind him. Not bad I guess.

Upward Aerial: Wolf slashes his claw in a wide arc above his head. Not bad overall, and it's another mid air killer.

Down Aerial: Wolf brings his fists together and brings them down hard. Whoever is unfortunate enough to be below him is spiked straight down the depths. As good at spiking as Wolf is, you need to plan it carefully, as remember about Wolf's recovery. You need to be absolutely sure you can make it back, because if you fail to spike, your opponent will edgehog and laugh as you fall to your doom. Even if you do spike them and kill them, you better be sure you can make it back or you will fall down there with them, and then they will laugh.

SMASH attacks:

Forward Smash: Wolf lunges forward with his claw out. This move has excellent range due to the lunge Wolf does. It's even better when sweetspotted, so try to hit enemies that are away instead of when they are right up on you. This is one of Wolf's only reliable killing moves, though the downsmash might work better for that.

Up Smash: Wolf does a "scissor kick". It looks sort of like Chun-Li's Spinning Bird Kick from Street Fighter. He turns upside down doing the splits in mid air, and then snaps his legs together to send opponents upwards. EDIT: This is actually also a good kill move.

Down Smash: Wolf does a claw sweep, where he sweeps foes off their feet by clawing at the ground on both sides of him. This is Wolf's main killing move besides the forward smash.

Special Moves: Can't let you Blast that, StarFox

B: Blaster
Wolf pulls out his blaster and fires a single shot. The range is not as good as Fox and Falco's blaster, but it stops enemies in their tracks and stuns them. Overall, it's admitedly not as good as Falco's blaster, but it's good for keeping people out of your face. Although smart opponents would avoid getting in Wolf's face, as his claws will rip their guts out. One thing worth noting is the little claw on the gun the sticks out. If you pull out the blaster at close range, the claw will stab your opponent and push them back, so they are stabbed and then shot.

Side B: Wolf Illusion

Similar to Fox and Falco, Wolf zips from one point to another in one second. The thing about Wolf's version is that it travels upwards at an angle, instead of straight across. If not sweetspotted, it wont do much. The trick to this move is the sweetspot at the highest point of the jump, which not only hurts badly but it spikes. This move also makes for a better recovery option than FireWolf (Up+B) A good Wolf will only use this move for recovery and the sweetspot at the end. Or it can be used to snap at opponents who call themselves making an aerial approach.

Down B: Reflector

Just as the name implies, Wolf can use this to reflect objects thrown at him. It reflects the object back in the direction it was thrown, with twice the momentum so it hurts double when it reaches the sender. The move comes out quickly, and you can put it away relatively quick. This move is also good for those times when everybody is all over you, because used at close range, it will zap everybody and you can escape (this technique is often called "Shining"). Like Fox, you can hold the Reflector instead of just having to be a show-off and kick it like a certain blue bird.

Up B: FireWolf

Similar to Fox and Falco, Wolf takes a minute to prepare himself and then launches himself forward foot-first in a blue-ish white "aura" (so it's not really fire). At the end of the move is a kick which is more handy than it sounds. As a recovery though, this move sucks. As soon as Wolf charges the maximum distance, he stops right at the spot and plummets straight down, which makes it hard for him to DI toward the stage. This move is better as a surprise attack to rush opponents, or to chase opponents into the sky after you've knocked them upwards. The only time that you can recover with this, is if you are too far beneath the ledge to recover with side B, in which case you want to control your fall toward the ledge, then Up+B straight up to grab the ledge (hopefully).

Final Smash: Landmaster Tank

Well if you expected Nintendo to actually put some effort into thinking of a different final Smash for Wolf, you thought wrong. There is a difference though, in that Wolf's Landmaster is more powerful than Fox and Falco's. Their tanks are good...BUT YOU'RE BETTER! Consequently though, it means it gets less screen time. If people try to hide on top of the tank, DO A BARREL ROLL (press down on control stick twice!) to pop them into the air, and then ride them off the top of the screen. Just make sure to stop when they're dead though...

Combos

-Grab (knee them good), forward throw, roll back, Wolf Illusion

-Jab combo, jump and Shine,up aerial (and if they survive), down aerial

-Grab (knee them good), down throw, Firewolf charge them

-Jab combo, short hop+neutral A, shine, grab (knee them good), down throw, forward tilt or downsmash

Matchups: Who Wolf can whoop and who whoops Wolf...

^Try saying that five times fast.^

Wolf really excels against heavyweights. His brute strength allows him to put the beating on heavyweights while dancing around them with his agility, and said agility allows him to go toe to toe with mediumweights and even some lightweights. Aside from mediocre recovery, he really has no glaring weaknessess on the battlefield, making him well balanced. He's good for pretty much any situation, but he does have a few characters that make formidable adversaries if they are skilled.

Fox McCloud

Naturally, this is Wolf's most difficult matchup

Although you can reflect Fox's Blaster shots, his rapid fire capability allows him to quickly pull it out and get in a few shots before you can react and pull out your reflector. Close combat is also a challenge because his moves are faster and rack up damage. In spite of this though, Fox has low killing power so he'll have a difficult time finishing you off. Instead of specials, rely more on smashes, tilts, and neutral A. If he gets too close for comfort, kindly remind him about your personal space by pulling out your blaster so that he gets stabbed by the claw on it.

Falco Lombardi

The other most badass character in StarFox can give Wolf some issues.

His blaster is honestly better than yours due to it's superior range that seems to span almost the entire screen. If he's that far away, then even if you reflect the shot, it wont reach him. Not to mention, his reflector itself gives him an extra protectile of sorts, because you cannot reflect his reflector when he tosses it at you. Falco has a nasty spike himself, and due to your less than average recovery skills, he can rocket you into the abyss easily, as his Down Aerial has high priority. Make really good use of the down-smash and your tilts in this battle, and possibly avoid air combat if possible.

Marth

This pretty-boy is actually pretty tough, hence why he's my second main. He outranges Wolf big time with his sword, and even if you manage to get in his face, he can counter attack you right out of it and continue to slash away. He has no projectiles though, so the Blaster might just be your best friend in this battle. If he counters a blaster shot, that is your golden opportunity to punish with a Forward Smash, a Down Smash, or a Forward Tilt. The time it takes to recover from a missed Counter attack has increased notably from Melee. So bait him into a Counter somehow, then move in to punish. This is a battle where you need to be good at Sidestep dodging.

Meta Knight

Ugh, Meta Knight is the definition of "spam."
Wolf's aerials have better range and priority than Meta Knight's. Something worth noting, but I'm not sure if the ground or sky is better for battling this guy. I believe the Blaster can also interrupt his Mach Tornado. Firewolf also has greater priority, so if you see him coming at you with Spam Tornado, rush him with Firewolf. Same with if he tries to come at you with Drill Rush.

Pit

At the player selection screen, make sure you laugh at the Pit player for choosing him. If you do this, and then beat him, he will feel like an idiot and perhaps be forever discouraged from choosing him.
Pit actually should not be too difficult for an accomplished Wolf player. By being able to reflect his arrows, you are eliminating quite an important part of his game. Do not forget that he has a reflector himself however, so you may end up playing volleyball with his arrows alot. Despite his spam abilities, most of his moves have low priority, so make good use of smashes and tilts. Once you get him off the stage, that's actually when things get easy. When Pit resorts to his Up+B (or rather, IF he does so since the little douche has five midair jumps), then all you have to do is hit him, and that will cancel his flight and send him plummeting to his death, making him relatively easy to edgeguard. So remember: when his wings are blue, attack him. Of course, a smart Pit will either aim for the ledge or recover high over the stage, so you may have to go down there and smack him.

Link

Link has projectiles. Wolf has a reflector. Because all Link's projectiles are slow to wield, you can reflect them right back in his face easily (except maybe the bombs, which you can easily roll dodge away from). You can also rush Link from a distance with Up+B, as it has superior priority. In close combat, you do have to watch out as Link is more powerful, but Wolf is quicker. You may want to spam the jab combo. Do not be the stereotypical Wolf and spam D smash and F smash, but use tilts, jab, and blaster to rack up damage. Link's recovery is absolutely horrid, even worse than Wolf's. If he is smashed a long distance from the stage, he is not coming back. To ensure this, edgehog him. Of course, a good Link will usually always have a bomb drawn for such emergencies as to dislodge edgehoggers, so you may want to stall by shooting him and/or reflecting the bomb.

I wont do a How to Fight for every character right now, but if you request one, I will add them. And then if every character is requested, then I guess I will have ended up covering them all.

Lastly: Fighting Against Wolf

If you find yourself pitted against a skilled Wolf...you're in for it. As said, Wolf has no glaring weaknessess while on the battlefield, so all you really can do is exploit his mediocre recovery. Once you do get Wolf off the stage, you need to do absolutely everything in your power to prevent him from returning. Although his recovery isn't great, he is not easily spiked. A good Wolf will use Wolf Illusion as their return move because it is fast and provides better DI for Wolf, unless they are too far underneath the ledge in which case they will have no choice but to resort to FireWolf and pray for the best. You need to edgehog Wolf. If he is trying to return but the ledge is preoccupied, he is screwed.
Avoid being directly in front of Wolf, and especially try to avoid being at the appropriate lattitude and longitude for the sweetspot of Wolf Illustion.
The best angle to approach him would be from [directly] below, as he has little defense for that.

Questions or anything you'd like me to add or expand on, let me know.

This guide has been edited by SuperGamecube64 to include an image for use on the front page. Gameboy's original thoughts have not been changed.
Published by
The Gentleman
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 08:05 PM
To be honest, you and Tanis's guides seem more like you're telling me about the character out of a bio, rather than telling me you tips, experience, and creativity of the character.
Mines is more like a Strategey guide, you're is more like a bio with some strategy.
But i do need to put Pro's and cons.
By Brandyn on 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMence and FlowXx View Post
To be honest, you and Tanis's guides seem more like you're telling me about the character out of a bio, rather than telling me you tips, experience, and creativity of the character.
Mines is more like a Strategey guide, you're is more like a bio with some strategy.
I tell tips against other characters, and tips on how to use many of the moves creatively, such as using Up B as more of an attack and the tip on the Blaster, since there don't seem to be many Wolf players I figure many people wont know all that.
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Wolfs recovery is the sole reason i droped him from my mains.

Can you post combo's?
By Tanis on 12-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I'm adding more along as I go. Ain't easy using Wiinet ya know.
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm using it too lol
By Brandyn on 12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm about to add more, but Wolf's Side B is a much better recovery option. I know recovery is important, but if you're ferocious, you shouldn't be launched early

Sure, I can list some combos
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't see what is wrong with his guide...he just has a different style than you, Flow. In fact, some readers may even prefer it.
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I never found it hard to beat Wolf, even skilled ones, mostly because everyone spams his blaster or F-smash, and especially his D-smash. He is nothing against Link for some reason lol

@SGC64: True true true
By Brandyn on 12-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
I never found it hard to beat Wolf, even skilled ones, mostly because everyone spams his blaster or F-smash, and especially his D-smash. He is nothing against Link for some reason lol

@SGC64: True true true
This is why I felt compelled to make a Wolf guide. I'm alerting fellow Wolf mains to not do those things lol.

Link is another of my top favorites, yet whenever I play him as Wolf I don't have issues. Reflector puts long distance projectile spamming out of the question, and while Link's close combat is powerful, it's not as fast as Wolf's, and Wolf is more agile. But above I list characters who truely are problems for Wolf. Ironically, his worst matchups are Fox and Falco.
Closed Article

Tags
brawl, guide, ssbb, wolf o'donnell