Notices

Game Guides Game Guides and FAQ

Comment

Article Tools
Toon Link Guide
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-22-2010
Toon Link Guide

Toon Link is quite similar to Link, of course, but his key difference is his increased agility.He can't take a huge beating due to his light weight. This is Link as he appeared in Wind Waker and the DS Zelda games. He has basically usurped Young Link's position from Melee.

Toon Link's Special Attacks

Hero's Bow - B

Boomerang - < + B or > + B

Spin Attack - ^ + B

Bomb - v + B

Hero's Bow

The Hero's Bow is a good way to slow down opponents who are coming after you, or to just build up damage from a distance. This attack can be charged. the longer the charge is held, the faster and straighter the arrow will fly. This increased speed will also increase he distance, of course.

Boomerang

Unlike Link, Toon Link's boomerang does not draw opponents closer on its return. The Boomerang is still a good projectile attack that has a pretty deceptive return.

Spin Attack

Toon Link's Spin attack can be charged exactly like Link's. It has an opposite effect, however. While Link's spin Attack knocks opponents away, Toon Link's version draws the opponent in to deal more damage, and is much more useful when in the air than Link's.

Bomb

Toon Link's Bomb attack is often neglected. This bomb will explode if you hold onto it for too long, so throw it quickly. Alternatively, you can cook it off first, but this is risky if you do not know what you are doing. This bomb can be thrown just like a normal item in any direction, and activating the attack only pulls one out. This is a great attack to spam for damage at a distance.

Final Smash

Toon Link's Final smash is the Triforce Slash. This will KO an opponent with moderate damage, but has a very short range. When the attack is initiated, a golden beam will shoot out from link only a few inches in front of him. This beam must make contact with your target. After this, the target opponent will become trapped inside the Triforce, and Toon Link and the master Sword will have his way with them.

Strategy

Toon Link may seem simple, but he actually has a high learning curve. While you could simply run around beating everyone to death the Master Sword, that would be ill advised, and also kind of annoying. Link can be both very offensive and very defensive. His wide variety or projectiles mixed with his sword combos make it easy to mix things up, and keep your opponents guessing.

Tool Link has many projectile attacks, but spamming these too often will make your strategy easy to guess, and easy to evade. If enemies are in a crowd, the Bomb is a good way to deal damage to multiple targets. The bomb is also useful for hitting opponents who are trying to recover.

If you are on a flat surface, a good distance strategy is to use your bow until they begin to close in on you, and then switch to your boomerang. Once they are in range, it's time for a Smash Attack.

ToonLink has a very good short game as well. His left/right sword smash can strike twice, the second swipe doing major damage. His up smash strikes three times consecutively, but isn't very useful. It also leaves you wide open if it is dodged. On the contrary, his down smash covers both sides of him, so it's excellent if opponents are closing in on you.

One of my favorite attacks is Toon Link's aerial downward smash. He aims the Master Sword downward and holds it in this position as he floats down. While it leaves you open to aerial attack, it deals a good amount of damage when you land on opponents bellow you, which will bounce you upward just enough to aim at another.

Toon Link is a lightweight, and is easily to KO, so stay away form edges when you are high in damage. While his special attacks do less damage than Link's, his smash attacks are much stronger, so use them to your advantage.

In a one on one match, Toon Link can be good if he controls the distance. If the other player controls the distance, Toon Link becomes very limited He made have a good short game, but the majority of his attacks need distance.

Free for all matches are the best time to use Toon Link. Because of the multiple brawlers, it becomes easier to create more distance between your opponents.If your opponents stat to close in, a simple downwards aerial smash can clear them out, or sue your downward smash followed by a left/right smash.

Tidbits

-Data for Toon Zelda and Toon Shiek can be found within the game's coding, but is inaccessible.

-Toon Link's black alternate costume is a Toon version of Link's Dark Link outfit.

-Toon Link cannot crawl, although this ability was present in Wind Waker.

-Toon Link holds the world record for Level 4 and Level 5 Target Smash (Level 4 completed in 9.05 seconds, and Level 5 completed in 6.65 seconds), Co-op Target Smash Level 1 with Falco (2.66 seconds), and Co-op Target Smash Level 5 with another Toon Link (4.11 seconds).

-Toon Link is the youngest human fighter in Brawl at 12 years old.

-Toon Link has the same idle poses as Young Link in SSBM.

Thanks for reading, and good luck Brawling!
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I see my brothers guide got people in the Brawl spirit lol
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMence and FlowXx View Post
I see my brothers guide got people in the Brawl spirit lol
That doesn't take much effort, haha. Unless they're a sonytard/xboxtard...or just a normal tard.
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Mence stop posting because if you post before me it counts as a double post and won't allow me to post.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMence and FlowXx View Post
Mence stop posting because if you post before me it counts as a double post and won't allow me to post.
Why didn't you post your thoughts after I posted instead of saying that?
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Just to let him know.
But back on topic, this guide is good but i hate Toon Link because of his Up-smash, its like one of the most powerful smashes in the game, and if he's runing he can slide and do it with always catches me off guard -_-"
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, but if you dodge it,he is W I D E O P E N. And unless you're falling it's easy to dodge. I try not to use it.
By Brandyn on 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Good guide, but I prefer Twilight Princess Link simply due to his range. It seems like with Toon Link, you have to right in your opponent's face to hit them with the Master/Phantom Sword. Plus, his projectiles are floaty which makes them easy to see coming from miles away...
By xXMence and FlowXx on 12-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Toon Link is also used for spam. I do believe there's no such thing as spaming with Link and Samus since they're weapons are needed to actually win, but Toon Link is different, he can actually fight with little use of weapons.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I play Toon Link so much, that when I try to use Link, he feels unnaturally slow.
Comment