Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Home Improvement
Home Improvement
God, what a concept - Cam3ron36
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
12-26-2010
Author review
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
20%20%20%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 58%
Home Improvement

Home Improvement

One of the best 90's sitcoms... to a game? What can we do here?

Not from the game, figured this needed at least some decency to it

Home improvement is a show everyone knows and loves. It captivated the 90's and I love it myself, great show. Game companies back in the day saw a good popular movie or show as an excellent opportunity to be a "Cash Cow" as a game as they still do today. I can understand making a game off of an action movie or anything but home improvement. When we got this game way back when, I had no idea what to expect honestly. Let's take a minute and think about this, a game off home improvement... A sitcom about a sitcom host and his family... Well, he can just fight dinosaurs for no apparent reason! That would make a great game.

Understanding the simple basis of why this would not make a decent game, why would anyone by it? they wouldn't, but the kids parents would. They figure the show is good, the game has to be. This is the deadly reason shows and movies are still being released as shovel-ware today. to be fair, not all games were bad, in fact there was several back then that were great since it wasn't as hard to make a good story for a simple side scroller. It was about the game and not the story for the most part. Think about it, guy goes to save princess, it was as simple as that in many games. Monkey going to save his banana hoard. Another simple concept suitable for a well-built platformer.

So, what beautiful concept can we do here? Ooh, the hunt for power tools, does this involve phoning companies and earning money off your sitcom to go and buy some rad power tools? Or does it involve building your own power tools? Get this, let's go out on a rather senseless storyline to what could be a filmed show of Tim going to kill some dinosaurs and finding power tools inside these dinosaurs. Let's throw some caterpillars in there too, why not? from leaving tool time to magically going into a time warp where you have to collect tools in a prehistoric land? Explain it all you want, it doesn't add up, not even the games actual story can do that.

Being that the gameplay is what matters, is the game fun? I could see it being fun but it's really not too great with its frustratingly touchy controls, precision jumps, lack of a decently fair difficulty in the start and the lack of a fair fight is the big one. Often times, I find myself hiding above or below the enemy where they can't get me and shooting through the ground or roof since you can do that with some guns apparently. one of the worst parts is the enemies. Pterodactyls laying eggs every two seconds and flying around mindlessly. How about fire breathing raptors? Does it make sense how tiny caterpillars do as much damage as a fire breathing dragon...? I mean raptor. Let's think, you obviously want to shoot the caterpillars, but the task can be aggravating and overall ineffective. So you really have to kill them with a jack hammer. Yes, let's just ride a jackhammer over them caterpillars, they are so scary!

Believe it or not there is dozens of levels and worlds to this game and just recently playing it for a contest I couldn't get past the third level. I could get to the end as a kid, how the hell I did that, I cannot say. Not only does the game not make much sense but the people designing it must have played a lot of the Jurassic Park on genesis, because that is what this game widely resembles. Only your collecting Power tools and crates of tools! Seems like a suitable mind frame for the character Tim Taylor but it astounds me how he wound up in this crazy game.

To be fair, it's playable and could make a fun game if it weren't for how unfair it is, and for the love of god sign on with the folks at universal studios to make a jurassic park game next time!

Thank you for reading
~Cam3ron36
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Tim Taylor + fighting dinosaurs = EPIC
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 12-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
20%20%20%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 58%
not in this case.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-27-2010, 12:03 AM
yeah, the game was pretty annoying.

did you know that this game had no manual? It came with a piece of cardbord with the Binford tools logo on it that read "Real men don't need instructions."
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 12-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
20%20%20%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 58%
I think I heard that but I don't remember having the case though we probably did have it at one point.
By Dudebro on 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Home improvement is a show everyone knows and loves. It captivated the 90's
You love making these kind of comments don't you? Yeah it was popular but it wasn't popular with everyone. Many people see it as a corny family show that isn't very funny. Personally I like it well enough to watch it and laugh at exchanges between Tim and Al but otherwise it's no better than something like Saved by the Bell. That episode where Brad got caught with weed was cringe worthy and hard to take seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGC64
It came with a piece of cardbord with the Binford tools logo on it that read "Real men don't need instructions."
That's awesome.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
20%20%20%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 58%
Sure, it was the #1 show on it's channel. I could have worded it that way but you always seem to find the one flaw in my wording and pick it out, very discouraging.
By Dudebro on 12-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Which channel are you talking about? From what I read it was only number one in ratings for one year on the Neilson scale for ABC. The rest of it's run was in the top ten but not number one. I'm not sure about syndication though. Like I said, it's popular but not as popular as you make it seem.

I'm not targeting you or trying to discourage you. When I see statements that use absolutes like -
Quote:
everyone knows and loves
I feel the need to correct it. I know that's annoying to some people but inaccuracy is annoying to me. It's nothing personal.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
20%20%20%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 58%
I can understand why you picked that one out and it was probably best I didn't use it but it wasn't that far out either.
By Dudebro on 12-28-2010, 08:36 PM
You're right it's not that far out. That being said you should be used to my nitpicking by now. It may seem like I pick on you more than other people but if you think back I'm sure you can see how that's not true, I bother EVERYONE!
Comment