Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut
Sonic Speed!
Published by Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
01-01-2011
Author review
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
75%75%75%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 73%

Sonic the Hedgehog is just as famous as his Nintendo counterpart, Mario. Although he was originally an icon for Sega, Sonic has leaked over into many platforms, including Nintendo consoles, which I am grateful for, since I have never owned a Dreamcast. Ever since I picked up Sonic Adventure, Iíve been hooked on the little blue speed demon, buying up any other Sonic title available.

This gameís graphics are pretty good, but have easily been topped by other games on the Gamecube. The main characters make odd jerky movements, and their mouths kind of flap up and down, not even making an effort to match the words they speak, and ignore pauses in between words and sentences. The non-playable characters, the human townsfolk, look blocky, not in a natural human shape. I suppose this is to be expected, after all, it is a remake of a game originally intended for the Sega Dreamcast. Otherwise, the 3-D landscape is pretty impressive when you consider the time frame.

The sounds on the game are quite stale and aggravating. The soundtrack is pretty decent, but the sound effects are ridiculous. Honestly, the sound Sonic makes when he jumps and the way the enemy bosses repeat phrases each time they are attacked got quite annoying. The theme of the adventure field, Mystic Ruins, gets annoying very quickly as well. The voice actors of the characters pleased me; they were good selections to match the personality of the character.

As far as gameplay, it is pretty similar to any other Sonic game. You race through the course as fast as possible, destroying Eggmanís robotic minions and rescuing the little animals as you go, racking up points and rings. The goal is get to the end, where a capsule containing animals awaits. Though in story mode, most courses have specific goals to achieve, whether collecting a Chaos Emerald, catching a balloon, or racing another character to the finish, it all depends on the character you play with.

The action stages are quite confusing and difficult to maneuver through. I have fallen clean off the side several times, because I was confused about which way to go. This is especially prominent in Sonicís story, his speed is not a good thing considering the way the stages are put together. Though the stages are difficult, the boss characters are surprisingly easy to fight and win against.

In this game, you can choose which character you want to play. In the beginning, you can only play Sonic, but through Sonicís story, you can unlock other playable characters, which are: Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Big, and E-102 Gamma. If you complete the story mode for each character, you may unlock the true ending. Although each story varies, the entire game centers around preventing Chaos, a strange liquid monster, from growing into Perfect Chaos. To do this, Sonic and friends must prevent Eggman from getting his hands on the seven Chaos Emeralds, which give Chaos its power.

The popular and super-cute Chao also make their debut in this game, both in story mode and in the Chao garden component. In story mode, they appear in the flashbacks the characters have, where Chaos is presumed to be their protector. In the Chao gardens, you get the opportunity to raise and care for your own Chao, and can compete in races. It is quite entertaining to watch them waddle around as they try to push past one another to the finish line.

Overall, I enjoyed this game. It is a staple in the Sonic series, and the upbeat music, high-speed pace and lively characters are enough to keep me hooked on this widely popular hedgehog.
Published by
Pink Pearl Voice
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Sponsored Links
By BaronArke on 06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I love that game!
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
This game needs an award for the most horrendous voice-acting in history!

That's about all it's got against it anyways. Just leave voice-acting out of sonic games sega, nintendo does it most of the time.

This game was my first Dreamcast game (I feel like I'm rubbing that fact in your face after how many times you mentioned it :P), it was pretty awesome at first. I liked all of the stages in Sonic & Tails Story, knuckles missions were boring, and Amy's were alright. Everyone else's was lame in my opinion. This game is really about sonic as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure you're entirely right about every stage being confusing, but there is definitely truth to it. Most levels I really enjoyed though in sonic's story.

Good job though, CC.
By Alice on 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
The game was alright, some of the levels were pretty cool. However, the game lacked a certain appeal, I can't quite point it out though. It did have Chao Gardens though, so it's alright.
By Final Flourish on 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
The physics in this game..are terrible.
Tails would stand in place and move in between dialogue.
The voice acting was terrible too.
The camera was clumsy and you would from time to time go through structures, fall off the map, and die.

This game will always be in my heart though.
I loved it.
By Benji_Nottz on 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Far too many glitches for a game being released fo at least the second time. Defo was not as impressive as fist time on the dreamcast. Im sure that version had less glitches in it! Some nice extras thou I guess.
Comment

Tags
adventure, gamecube, hedgehog, sonic