Closed Article

Article Tools
Multiplayer: Death of 4 Player Co-Op
Analysis by SMGD
Published by SirManguydude
01-11-2011

You would think with games like Left 4 Dead on the market now, Co-Op games would be thriving, but no this is not true. It seems more and more gamers are heading towards full on Multiplayer, 16 on 16 borefests. I am sorry but I can only play team deathmatch so many times. They merely glance at that nice 4 player co-op if there are zombies, and they have to be called zombies, if not, they show no interest.

I recently headed to The Gameroom(a Local Used Game Store), and picked up a bunch of new games with my Christmas money. Amongst those were two games that beg to be played as a Co-Op game, Crackdown 2 and Lost Planet 2. These games are not even a year old(Lost Planet May, and Crackdown released in July). If I did find someone on either of these games, they would either have horrible connection, or I would search for minutes on end, with no luck, to have to come back at another time. Meanwhile, on Black Ops zombies, in 10 seconds I can find 50 potential games, and wait a minute for it to find which one would work best for my connection.

I will forgive the lack of Co-Op players on Lost Planet 2, for it can get dry, but Crackdown can not be forgiven! Crackdown 2, although repetitive, manages to keep it fun at the same time. Increasing the skills of your agents and just being over the top in this game is grand. Nothing quite as enjoyable as jumping off a 50 story building, and slamming into the ground below on an unsuspecting foe, and launching a large shockwave around you. Yes, I know, it is basically the original Crackdown, without the Halo 3 beta key, but that doesn't make it less fun, I mean look at Call of Duty.

Onslaught Mode for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is another great example. How many of your friends have this? The answer is not many. This DLC sold horribly, because most people thought "Its basically Squad Rush, with bots instead of the other team, pointless." It isn't pointless, because it is hard as hell on the easiest difficulty, and you need to be in tune with your squadmates. It is probably one of the most enjoyable modes, as their is a sense of accomplishment.

Maybe it is because I am old(if you can call 18 old); longing for the forgotten days of the N64, loading up Perfect Dark with my brother. Which leads me to another issue, of the lack of split-screen multiplayer, but that will be left for another day. My point is mostly moot, and me ranting, but I don't care!

All I ask is that you pick up a controller, and do something besides play Team Borematch, and use some actual teamwork, instead of spouting obscenities, threats, what you did with my mother last night(I didn't know my mother got around as much as she does, she does things with 12 or more guys a night), and name-calling. Now here is a good question to leave you with. How long till there is no such thing as a single player game? Demographics point that most gamers are interested in Online Multiplayer, so who knows.
Published by
LoZ Expert
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I miss it too.
By Mario on 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes, Co-op is surely lacking in many of the new games these days. Very disappointing.
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
In some instances, split screen multiplayer is entirely absent.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
it kind of ticks me off, even with games like Left 4 dead you can only play splitscreen with 2 people which has been a pain for my brothers and I, especially recently.

Oh, and the biggest tick-off lately; The Sims 3, I mean wtf? I remember renting and buying the original ones and playing them with my 3 siblings on different occasions with splitscreen. That was the beauty of having these games on consoles and it worked tremendously. Recently, I didn't take a second look before buying the third one on 360. I figured it was great, it got great reviews and it had way more items than the previous console ones which is what kind of kills the older ones for me. I got home and got my brother and got ready to play a co-op game. Guess what? No co-op, that was half the reason I bought it, thank you. It's still tremendous but they focused so much on online maketplaces and stuff and forgot co-op. I was pretty ticked, so were my brothers.

Even so, it's generally true looking back on the last month my bros have had xbox live. It's been 2 of us playing a game at once constantly, not the 3 of us... Most games have 2-player co-op at best.

In a related manner, perfect dark is on xbox 360 now (the old one I mean) and it's the same great game with better controls and online I guess, but I never used online except a few times with a friend to play what would have been the equivalent of split-screen (I tried once going online for a big deathmatch and hated it). My brothers and I have dumped 5000+ hours each into perfect dark on the n64 and occasionally play on the 360 for splitscreen after I bought it a while ago. But we still have played perfect dark every year since we bought it.
By SirManguydude on 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I blame it on Social Networking sites, and texting. The lack of Co-Op could be because we are losing our ability to connect socially through voice.
By Brandyn on 01-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I miss co-op in arcades. Nothing like teaming up with three random boys you don't know working toward a common goal, and then hanging out afterwards. That's how friends were made. SirManguydude is right about us losing the ability to connect Socially via voice.
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I personally don't see that. I'm a very social person, and I can talk to anyone with ease.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM
it's called school and work :P I make friends fine doing things other than games. Like talking, joking around, complaining about retard teaches', the usual.
By SirManguydude on 01-12-2011, 12:15 AM
How often do you call someone up and talk for the sake of talking? Never. Its much easier and simpler to just text them.
Closed Article